Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 08-10-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
SVidas
2018 Unity CB

Default Screen to water drain

Hi, I have noticed that some have changed their vent in the coach under the bed to access the drain valve easier. In my 2018 Unity CB the drain is under the bed and has a magnetic metal screen or mesh that is adhered to the inside of a cutout. (photos attached).

I would like to make the opening accessible so I can simply reach in with my hand to open and shut the water drain rather than lifting the bed to access it. Since it is steel (attracts a magnet) I am wondering if I could cut it and somehow attach a similar mesh to it that could then be secured inside with magnet strips so it could be pushed in and then would rebound to attach again.

Alternatively, I could just carefully remove the adhesive strips and attach it with magnetic strips all the way around. Since it is fairly stiff, I risk bending it each time I push my hand inside.

Any better ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2509.jpg (92.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2498.jpg (93.6 KB, 74 views)
Old 08-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #2
CB1945

Default Re: Screen to water drain

Even with the screen removed I think my arm is about a foot or more short of the target. If I got down there and managed to get my arm into the hole I fear it would take an EMS Crew to get me extracted.
Not sayin it's a bad idea, just not for me.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
RV2019
2017 Wonder MB

I can't tell in the photo the orientation of the handle on the valve. Is the handle parallel to the floor such that vertical (up and down) is off? Or is on north and south and off is east and west?

If vertical is off then I would get a 2 ft. section of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe and notch out an end to fit over the valve and the notches would allow the handle wings to go inside the notches. Then all you have to do is put the pipe on the valve handle and turn as required. No putting an arm in the hole. If it isn't oriented so off is up and down, can it be loosened and tightened back in this orientation?

Then cut an appropriate hole in the mesh for something like this:
DGQ 2" Silicon Umbrella Table Hole Cap

I know this wasn't made for this application but it provides a hole for the PVC pipe and a plug for esthetics.
RV2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #4
Kenlh
Unity 2016 TB

On our Unity TB I just lift the mattress over the valve and turn it by hand. VERY easy to reach. Guess it's more difficult on the CB? Ken
Kenlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:06 AM   #5
SVidas
2018 Unity CB

In my CB it is a short distance from he mesh screen to the valve. Otherwise, I need to lift the bed, pull up and lock the wood top, remove anything stored, remove the wood piece covering the opening and now have access to the valve and surge suppressor.

I am attaching a top view with the bed and two layers of wood out of the way. You can see the valve and at the bottom make out the existing screen. Too bad the valve isnít vertically arranged for a notched piece of PVC pipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36F2729C-CC2B-4F41-AB00-A2397A0F0BD9.jpg (115.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 08-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,535 Times in 774 Posts

You might have to change the handle but what about an electric controller, https://www.amazon.com/control-Compa...gateway&sr=8-3. You may find that you can drill a hole in your current handle to attach this to once you get it and see how it works. Here is one that just has a remote control, https://www.amazon.com/TOMLOV-Wirele...s=gateway&th=1. This one has $5 off right now, https://www.amazon.com/Jinvoo-Wirele...gateway&sr=8-4. They are novel ideas that don't require changing out the valve. You can get 12v power from power supply for the water pump, just add a 2 amp in line fuse to protect the circuit.

You could also drill a hole at the very end of the handle or change the handle to a longer lever handle type and drill a hole in the end and use a nut and bolt to attach a metal bar that extends through the screen so you can push or pull it to move the valve open and closed.

Last edited by SSTraveler; 08-11-2019 at 12:23 PM.
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #7
mikeme
2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6

It really is a good idea to look the area over on a regular basis. there also is the screen on the pump inlet that is supposed to be cleaned out once in a while.

I would leave it as-is.

how often do you drain the tank?

"Free advice is worth what you pay for it. Sometimes.."
mikeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
SVidas
2018 Unity CB

I don’t drain it often, just seemed like a fairly easy to do mod to gain easier access. Thanks to all!