Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #111
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,814 Times in 834 Posts
Default Re: Replacement of front brake pads and rotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege91 View Post
Anyone know what happened to PoolMike's write-up, mentioned in the first post?

He used a free picture hosting site that held photos temporarily.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #112
israndy
2007 LTV Serenity

That drives me crazy. Why do people do that? Post them here and they are here until this site disappears. And it's free, unlike the Airstream forum that charges $20/yr to host your pics. Don't let your subscription lapse!
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:14 AM   #113
Protege91

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwan View Post
He used a free picture hosting site that held photos temporarily.
That explains the photos disappearing--I've seen that a lot on here, old posts where the content exists the the photos are at dead links. But my question is, shouldn't the writeup itself (minus pics) be here somewhere? I searched thru all his posts and couldn't find it.
Protege91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:32 AM   #114
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,814 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
But my question is, shouldn't the writeup itself (minus pics) be here somewhere? I searched thru all his posts and couldn't find it.

I think it was removed. It's very hard to follow a writ-up when most of the text relied heavily on missing pictures. This is why (probably) hkpierce replaced it with this one.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:03 AM   #115
Protege91

I think I'm going to tackle my brake job myself on my 2006 T1N motorhome. I've read a lot on here in this thread and others--thanks y'all for the info!

Question about sizes for rotors/pads so I order the right parts. I crawled under mine and eyeballed the calipers. They all seem to be the Bosch 2-piston system. What surprised me is that the same hardware seems to be on the front and rears! There is a slight Bosch model # difference left-to-right, but on each side the front and rears are the same! I didn't expect that; I swore I saw people referencing Bosch front and ATE rear. But even the famous europarts-sd parts chart implied that within Bosch, I should expect a difference. Am I crazy?

Also, it appears I have studs and lug nuts. Every YouTube video and discussion I've read here had me expecting screw-in bolts holding the wheels on. I had to have missed a few posts explaining which models have what.

OK time to read up on this "bleeding" concept. I always skipped that step in the past on other vehicles (not that I'm experienced but did 2 brake jobs on my friends cars 10 years ago, knowing that I would never ride with them again). It seems more important now that I'm older and smarter and driving a rolling house on mountain roads.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:23 PM   #116
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,769 Times in 8,747 Posts

Quote:

Also, it appears I have studs and lug nuts. Every YouTube video and discussion I've read here had me expecting screw-in bolts holding the wheels on. I had to have missed a few posts explaining which models have what.
Dual rear wheels? You have a 3500 model Sprinter.

Quote:
...OK time to read up on this "bleeding" concept. I always skipped that step in the past on other vehicles (not that I'm experienced but did 2 brake jobs on my friends cars 10 years ago, knowing that I would never ride with them again). It seems more important now that I'm older and smarter and driving a rolling house on mountain roads.
Open the bleeder screws BEFORE you compress the caliper pistons or you risk moving contamination back up into the CAB aka ABS module.

Brake fluid flushing is recommended on a 2 year schedule. While you are doing the brake job it is a good time to renew your fluid.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Protege91 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #117
Protege91

Thanks Vic. Yes I have a 3500, forgot to say that. I didn't know that drove the difference.

I'd prefer not to renew the fluid at this time. Why, you ask? Because I had the fluid renewed at the MB dealer 15 months ago (30k miles ago) and then again at Upscale Automotive/Sprinter Store in Tualatin, OR 9 months ago (15k ago) since they found +4% water content.

I'll plan to take your advice and open the bleeder valve for the piston compression to avoid killing the ABS. Seems like a nice logical step without overkill/waste.

Question, would you recommend attaching a tube and catch jar or just let the fluid fall onto a rag or something? I have no clue how much fluid to expect when I compress the piston.

Thanks for your time!
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 PM   #118
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,769 Times in 8,747 Posts

Quote:

Question, would you recommend attaching a tube and catch jar or just let the fluid fall onto a rag or something? I have no clue how much fluid to expect when I compress the piston.

Thanks for your time!
I always use a tube and plastic container. I dump SMALL amounts like that into my waste oil. Technically that isn't allowed, but if it is a very small amount...

It is best to save it as a separate liquid waste and dispose of it during a municipal toxic waste disposal campaign.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:21 PM   #119
Protege91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
I always use a tube and plastic container. I dump SMALL amounts like that into my waste oil. Technically that isn't allowed, but if it is a very small amount...

It is best to save it as a separate liquid waste and dispose of it during a municipal toxic waste disposal campaign.

vic
What size tube would you recommend? 1/4"?

Luckily here in Columbus, OH the hazardous waste facility is open 5-6 days a week. One thing we do right! Hopefully auto parts stores would accept it too along with used oil. Because with all the places I'm NOT allowed to work on my RV, I'm probably going to have to service it in in the woods somewhere, or an auto zone parking lot.

This country needs to offer convenient and free methods of disposing of these things if they want to discourage people from dumping them in the trash or in the woods. It should never be difficult to do the "right" thing.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:48 PM   #120
marklg

Quote:
What size tube would you recommend? 1/4"?

Luckily here in Columbus, OH the hazardous waste facility is open 5-6 days a week. One thing we do right! Hopefully auto parts stores would accept it too along with used oil. Because with all the places I'm NOT allowed to work on my RV, I'm probably going to have to service it in in the woods somewhere, or an auto zone parking lot.

This country needs to offer convenient and free methods of disposing of these things if they want to discourage people from dumping them in the trash or in the woods. It should never be difficult to do the "right" thing.
I just went to Home Depot and got a couple sizes of vinyl tubing and saw what fit. Was only a few bucks. I used glass jars to hold the waste brake fluid as it may attack some plastics. I eventually poured it back into the metal cans the new brake fluid came from and my city did take it as hazardous waste with no issue. I flushed the system using one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KM5L0

Turns it into a one man job. I do understand it does not flush the ABS parts. I don't have a scanner to do that, but I figured I changed probably 90% of the fluid.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is offline   Reply With Quote