Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:34 AM   #11
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

Default Re: Howl in the front '02-03 T1N, pivoting the radiator for engine inspection

Another day in the life.

The mass air sensor is laying in there(****ty picture).

No need to remove power steering and air con lines to pivot.

For what it's worth most of what I found on the forum for the 02-03 T1N OM612 is either incomplete or wrong.
I tried to go systematically and show the parts that need to be removed to pivot the radiator.
You do NOT have to disconnect the power steering or air conditioning lines, you do need to remove the intake hoses for the air intake manifold. This is easiest if you remove the downstream mass air sensor(if that's what you call it). It is held in place by two bolts that are easy to get at. Now the big hoses disconnect easily.
Do completely remove the outer electric fan, do not remove the upper and lower electric fan brackets.

The entire radiator and stack sits on two rubber divots and when all the hoses and lines EXCEPT the power steering and air conditioning lines are removed the whole unit lifts straight up and out of the divots and pivots, it is not heavy and one end rests on the vehicle cross member and the other out in front needs support. I used three 5 gallon buckets stacked together to get the right height.

I hope this helps others. Just look at the pictures and use your head.
Remember please!
This is for 2002 and 2003 Sprinters ONLY.

i found what I think caused the howl.
My Tensioner had seized up, was probably bouncing and squealing. It let out a squeal when I actuated it to remove the belt. Cried like a baby.

My guess is that everything on the engine is OEM and the bolts are loctited so I'll use heat to try to get them loose in the morning. Especially to get the tensioner off.

I will no doubt replace the tensioner and the pulleys plus the belt.
The waterpump has a Mercedes star on it and is tight and free spinning.
The alternator and pumps seem fine and spin free.

Tell me how you guys hold the fan to loosen the bolt?
How do I know if it is working properly?

What a day.
'Don't follow leaders and watch your parkin' meters,
The pump don't work cause the vandals stole the handle.'
B. Dyan, 1965

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by billintomahawk; 07-12-2018 at 04:24 AM.
billintomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #12
Fletch9871

Default Re: Howl in the front '02-03 T1N, pivoting the radiator for engine inspection

Bill...Just went thru the same thing with my trans cooler lines/radiator. Here was my comment from another thread:

“IMO when reconnecting the trans cooler lines its a good idea to apply some anti-galling compound to the fittings. The aluminum threaded pipe on the radiator is very easy to strip. Mixing aluminum and steel threads is not a great idea.”

I have a few ideas how to fix the stripped threads. I replaced my radiator but plan to fix the old one as a spare. Hit me up if you develop a leak an need to repair further.

Regards,
Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #13
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,770 Times in 8,747 Posts
Default Re: Pivoting the radiator for engine inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by billintomahawk View Post
Thanks everyone for the encouragement.
bill in tomahawk
Thanks for the effort in taking and posting the pictures and information.

I have moved your thread to the Write-ups section. It will lose most of its value if your picture account goes away.

The damaged threads. The flare type fitting depends upon mechanical compression to seal.

My opinion.
Epoxy can be applied to the exterior to stabilize and maintain the connection, but only if the existing threads are strong enough to first achieve the required mechanical force.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,850 Times in 5,725 Posts

Remember if you remove the fan to hold and store it upright (i.e. on edge), to avoid confusing its thermostatic fluid clutch.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #15
glasseye

Thanked 1,662 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
I'll shoot some better pics when I get it pivoted.
bill
Nothing wrong with your pix, bill. Wrench-turners yet unborn will benefit from your superb documentation.

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glasseye For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (07-13-2018), JSL (01-31-2019)
Old 07-13-2018, 01:48 AM   #16
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

Thanks for the compliments.

Well she's stripped and I do't mean Stormy Daniels.

I believe that's MB thread locker.

Jammed the fan rotating piece with a screw driver and pried out, nasty but it worked.

Lock the tensioner

Now drive to town to get the correct 8mm 12 point because you can'find, don't have one.
$2.50 and no stripped bolt heads.

Now drive the socket on the tensioner bolts after you heat them...Did six cycles of 10 seconds of heat, stop, let it penetrate, go again. Don't burn the pulleys. Just get the threadlocker warm like you have a warm engine. Pry off the pulley caps with a small screw driver.

Everything came off easily. The pulleys were easy.

I'll probably pull the alternator tomorrow and get my buddy to put brushes in it and clean it up.

I pretty darn happy even if the radiator is a loss, at least t's a driveway loss so no big ordeal.

The tensioner is down in the shop vice soaked in motoroil. I want it for a spare. I'll be reporting on my efforts to save it. I have it in my mind that it's just a lubrication issue.

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by billintomahawk; 07-13-2018 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 AM   #17
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:

The tensioner is down in the shop vice soaked in motoroil. I want it for a spare. I'll be reporting on my efforts to save it. I have it in my mind that it's just a lubrication issue.

bill in tomahawk
I'm with you.

When I installed the tensioner in the 2004 I used a Lubriplate tube nozzle to inject grease into the holes of the tension spring coil area as best I could. It may not help, but I don't think that will hurt.

Talk about old school... the Lubriplate tube is all metal. Just a plastic cap.
(Bobnoxious would appreciate that. )

vic
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Old 07-13-2018, 02:19 AM   #18
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasseye View Post
Nothing wrong with your pix, bill. Wrench-turners yet unborn will benefit from your superb documentation.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the pictures.

My comment about pictures was related to where they are stored/accessed. Too many times I've seen a great Write-up become nearly useless because the pictures are no longer available on the hosting site.

vic
Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 AM   #19
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the pictures.

My comment about pictures was related to where they are stored/accessed. Too many times I've seen a great Write-up become nearly useless because the pictures are no longer available on the hosting site.

vic
I'm using Smugmug.
I switched ff Photobucket.

Hopefully they are solid.

bill
Old 07-13-2018, 05:08 PM   #20
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

Radiator replacement.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/csf-3661