Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 02-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Danarbor

Default "Possible" caution when having a Clear Bra paint protection film added to your RV.

This post is in response to a recent thread regarding the use of paint protection film (PPF), also referred to as a Clear Bra, to protect your RV from rock chips. I made a comment in that thread endorsing the practice as I have Expel Ultimate on my current BMW X5 and it has done a terrific job protecting my car, which has a front end that I consider to be a rock magnet, and I fully intended to have PPF installed on my future UTB. That was until I had a conversation with the installer that did the work for me on my X5. I paid a visit to the installer to get a quote for the areas I intended to have protected and he informed me that he will not install it on RVs and he strongly suggested I only have the manufacturer, in this case LTV, or the distributor / dealer apply the film since it's been his experience that paint on RVs "can" peel off either during the application or when you attempt to remove the film. Since the installer I used for my current car is what I would consider to be a perfectionist and one who has been doing this type of work for 15 plus years on everything from your average automobile to very high-end sports cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars I take his warning very seriously. His reasoning for having the manufacturer or dealer apply the film is to have them be responsible for any issues with peeling paint. I know LTV does not offer PPF as an option. While I'm confident LTV and other upfitters do an excellent job painting their units it's never going to be as durable as what a car manufacturer can provide given their respective resources. Before posting this I called LTV and spoke to Dean to ask him if he's heard of anybody having problems using PPF on their units and he said he's not heard of one single incident involving peeling paint. So this may or may not be an issue to be concerned about but I felt compelled to share what I was told by my installer given that I had endorsed the use of PPF in a previous thread. I'm a bit torn to say the least as I fully intended to put PPF on my future UTB. So, has anyone on this forum used PPF and if so have you had any issues? I want to be very clear I'm not being Chicken Little saying you "will" have a problem if you choose to use PPF, I just wanted to share what I was told by a professional in the industry who's opinion I highly value. Comments?
Danarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danarbor For This Useful Post:
woodywesty (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Bone Head
2014 LTV Unity MB

Default Re: "Possible" caution when having a Clear Bra paint protection film added to your RV

Installation of 3M clear by a pro three years ago and no complaints yet. I DO have a few rock dings on my hood, but I suspect that those would have been much worse without the film. Is it worth the $$? Personal decision just like extended warranties.
Bob

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Too many places to see.
Bone Head is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bone Head For This Useful Post:
Danarbor (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
Mike DZ
2016 View 24V (2015 3500)

Default Re: "Possible" caution when having a Clear Bra paint protection film added to your RV

Hmm, My View came with PPF, don't know brand. I have been putting PPF on my vehicles for years, mostly pro applied but my last three vehicles DIY without many problems.. I did have a Class A that I had PPF applied to the fiberglass front. It yellowed and cracked over eight years. When I removed it, it took off some small pieces of gelcoat. Perhaps gelcoat loss and paint loss got conflated(?)
Mike DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike DZ For This Useful Post:
Danarbor (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #4
Denis4x4
2013 Unity TB

Did the 3M die cut kit for my '13 Unity with some help from my brother. No issues in almost four years. My wife's 2006 Porsche has the dealer installed clear bra and again, no issues. I can see potential problems on applications on class A motor homes with fiberglass or plastic front caps.
Danarbor (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Danarbor

Thanks for your replies, Bob & Mike. As I stated in my original posting I'm a firm believer in using PPF and I will continue to use it for all future cars I purchase. In fact, I'm in queue for a fairly limited addition sports car that I hope to be getting sometime this year and I will likely wrap the whole car since I'll be tracking the car and I want to protect it as much as possible. I'm sure the concern that my PPF installer has is he's seen paint on RVs peel so he's gun shy about doing them. It might just be an issue for RVs of lessor quality than LTV produces. I just thought I'd post what I heard and get some feedback from the group. Thanks once again for your input!
Danarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:03 PM   #6
LUNITY
2016 LunityTB

Your installer is talking about problems with areas painted by the upfitter. In this case, the upfitter LTV did NOT paint the areas where the film is applied, Mercedes did. That's why no problems because Mercedes does a very good job of painting the van.
I've had my clear film on since the day it was delivered and it looks great.
LUNITY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LUNITY For This Useful Post:
Danarbor (02-24-2017), Suza (02-27-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
alichty
2014 LTV Unity TB

Thanked 1,266 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNITY View Post
Your installer is talking about problems with areas painted by the upfitter. In this case, the upfitter LTV did NOT paint the areas where the film is applied, Mercedes did. That's why no problems because Mercedes does a very good job of painting the van.
I've had my clear film on since the day it was delivered and it looks great.
I believe that the cabs are delivered to LTV painted white by Mercedes. The paint job you see as delivered was done at the LTV factory. In either case it is automotive paint and not gelcoat. LTV does apply clearcoat on top of the color coats.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alichty For This Useful Post:
Danarbor (02-24-2017), woodywesty (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:54 PM   #8
Dacar
2015.5 Unity TB

"3 coats of color and 2 coats of clear" Dean states in every video
Old 02-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #9
woundedpig
2018 Unity MB

The March edition of the digital Family Motor Coaching magazine has a letter from a member giving a strong recommendation for a Florida company called Ugly Shield Removal. The address for photo examples is
http://uglyshieldremoval.com/photos/

The website doesn't speak negatively of RV paint shields, but seems to focus on older RV's that have had the shields for a good while. The photos look horrid. Makes me wonder if older shields were made of less durable material and whether the deterioration of the shield/barrier is inevitable with time, or could be related to suboptimal owner maintenance = "My RV is invulnerable."
I also wonder whether the shield materials are as resistant to UV and other assaults (tar, bird droppings) as modern paint systems are. The shields do better with rocks, I am sure.

David
woundedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:18 AM   #10
Natuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danarbor View Post
Thanks for your replies, Bob & Mike. As I stated in my original posting I'm a firm believer in using PPF and I will continue to use it for all future cars I purchase. In fact, I'm in queue for a fairly limited addition sports car that I hope to be getting sometime this year and I will likely wrap the whole car since I'll be tracking the car and I want to protect it as much as possible. I'm sure the concern that my PPF installer has is he's seen paint on RVs peel so he's gun shy about doing them. It might just be an issue for RVs of lessor quality than LTV produces. I just thought I'd post what I heard and get some feedback from the group. Thanks once again for your input!
Ok, you set the hook! Which limited addition sports car?
Natuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote