Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Great West Vans

Old 12-23-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
Davydd

Default Re: Bought a 2007 Great West Legend Elite!

Most likely like my 2011 Great West Van Legend you have a converter. Mine was up behind the fuse/breaker panel and it was a Progressive Dynamics PD9245. There was a what I thought a generous 700 watt inverter for the TV that powered one duplex outlet the TV plugged into. The inverter was not powerful enough for anything but the TV and plugging in laptop computers. It would not power a coffee maker, a cube heater, or much of anything else. It did power a 225w crock pot but you had to be driving and charging your battery for that not to deplete your battery. So you had little electrical utility while not connected to shore power other than lights, TV, DVD, radio and 12v ignition needs on propane powered equipment in the coach. 120vac outlets, refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave needed shore power. Ther efrigerator needed propane because 12v mode would run the battery down in as little as an hour. That was pretty much the standard setup for many Class Bs and why one house battery was standard. If you were boondocking in a wilderness situation you could keep your lights off most of the time, not run your TV and if you drove just every other day to recharge your battery you could get by. Everything else was run on propane. Other than air conditioning (rare for me), recharging the battery in extended boondocking stays, or temporarily running it to mostly use the coffee maker, I didn't see much need for the Onan generator.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:10 AM   #12
JesseLibertine

Thanks for all the info everyone! I have spent a few days in the Legend and decided I do not need an inverter. I have a small crappy portable cigarette inverter if need be or I can run the Onan.

I still would like to add Solar though to top off the 12V batteries since I rarely use shore power. I only charge the batteries from the Onan or while driving.

I finally got into the battery area and it has 2 LifeLine AGM 125aH batteries from 2/2013 (two Lifeline GPL-31XT).
JesseLibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:19 AM   #13
JesseLibertine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Most likely like my 2011 Great West Van Legend you have a converter. Mine was up behind the fuse/breaker panel and it was a Progressive Dynamics PD9245. There was a what I thought a generous 700 watt inverter for the TV that powered one duplex outlet the TV plugged into. The inverter was not powerful enough for anything but the TV and plugging in laptop computers.
I think I checked all the outlets and no 120AC unless the Onan is running. Outlet near the bed and kitchen and toilet area.

Also my TV is 12V so it works whenever.

I'll make sure I checked all my outlets but I think my Sprinter did not come with the inverter option. Just the PD9245 converter.

Maybe it would be nice to add a weak inverter to one 120AC outlet somewhere but for now I will just settle with running everything off 12V DC (except the AC of course). Luckily I do not drink coffee!!!
JesseLibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #14
Marley

Old thread but I just bought pretty much the same unit (30th Anniversary edition) and went through the same thing. Seller said that it had an inverter but after buying it and rooting around all the systems I found out it didn't - just the breaker/fuse panel, transfer switch and converter.

I am going to go with an inverter and solar but haven't figured out the best way to approach it yet. My unit only has one coach battery right now so the whole solar/battery/inverter system will be new and hopefully the best available now we are in 2017 and alt-power prices have dropped considerably.

My brother has a ranch/rec property in Dixie National Forest which is off-grid so we have been learning lots about alt-power including micro hydroelectric.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marley For This Useful Post:
TooMuchHair (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
bcislander
'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Old thread but I just bought pretty much the same unit (30th Anniversary edition) and went through the same thing. Seller said that it had an inverter but after buying it and rooting around all the systems I found out it didn't - just the breaker/fuse panel, transfer switch and converter.

snip...
If your van has a TV, then it most likely has an inverter, but one of limited power output. Just enough to power the TV and/or run some low-power devices. It is located in the cabinet just above the TV in my GWV Legend. This was mentioned by Davydd in an earlier post.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #16
Marley

If it the unit does have an inverter for the TV it would be behind the microwave which is bolted down one cabinet over from the TV location. Haven't checked there yet.
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #17
muddysprinter

Hi JesseLibertine,
You say that you have 2 coach batteries - where are they? I just bought a 2007 Legend Elite (2006 Dodge Chassis) and mine only has one coach battery and I'd like to add a second. How are yours set up?
muddysprinter is offline   Reply With Quote