Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 10-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #1
Peter Tourin
2012 LTV Unity MB

Default '12 MB - blowing out water lines with air

I just blew out my water lines, but ended up wondering what's the easiest way to do it. I had a compressor with a 12" straight blow gun. I set the compressor to 30#, opened faucets one at a time - shower, bath sink, kitchen sink, finally the outside shower. I slid the blow gun into the antifreeze suction line, turned the lever valve to "winterize", and had at it - since the blow gun shaft wasn't a tight fit in the antifreeze line, I just held my hand around it and sealed it as best I could. Seemed to work fine - I got air and small amounts of water out. But is there some smoother way to do it?
Old 10-17-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
Denis4x4
2013 Unity TB

Default Re: '12 MB - blowing out water lines with air

Easiest way is to get the male hose fitting with a Schrader valve and put it on the water tank inlet. I use an fitting that allows the air hose to remain in place while I open valves inside and out. I do open the water heater and let it drain. Takes me 30 minutes to completely drain and blow out the Unity. Don't forget to put RV anti-freeze in the P-traps and the waste tanks

Last edited by Denis4x4; 10-17-2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Typo
Denis4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Denis4x4 For This Useful Post:
Peter Tourin (10-17-2015)
Old 10-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Peter Tourin
2012 LTV Unity MB

Do you use a latching air fitting on your compressor hose then? Latch it onto the Shrader valve with the compressor around 30#? I assume that as long as the pressure isn't too high, you can hook up the air with all the faucets closed, then go around one by one.

No problem with the antifreeze - just looking for a smoother way to hook up the air.

I also have one of the RV's with the little 12V compressor under the passenger step. I suppose I should pull that out and look at it. If it can move enough air to do the job, I could blow out the lines if I got caught by a cold night when I was on the road. Actually, I've never used the compressor - maybe this is the time to find out how it works <g>...
Old 10-18-2015, 02:26 AM   #4
Denis4x4
2013 Unity TB

Yes, I use the latching valve....I've used a portable air tank to blow out the Airstream with about 80# of air in the tank. Since you're hooking up the air right next to the outside shower, it's easy to check the progress of the air without worrying about blowing out valves or seals
Old 10-18-2015, 03:05 AM   #5
Eastbayview
2012 Unity MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tourin View Post
I also have one of the RV's with the little 12V compressor under the passenger step. I suppose I should pull that out and look at it. If it can move enough air to do the job, I could blow out the lines if I got caught by a cold night when I was on the road. Actually, I've never used the compressor - maybe this is the time to find out how it works <g>...
I also have an older Unity that came with the air pump. I have used it and found it was much stronger than the cheap ones you buy at Walmart, etc.
Just make sure to have the engine running when using it or the main 25AMP fuse for the dash plug will blow. (Happened to me) And the fuses are hard to find in stores.
Peter Tourin (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
Peter Tourin
2012 LTV Unity MB

Mine's a '12 like yours ('11 chassis). I'll have to check out that pump - I pulled it out once, was duly impressed, and it was such a close fit getting it back in that I"ve never pulled it out since. But it sounds like it could be very handy in a pinch. Guess I better go play before I put the rig away for the winter.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #7
SSTraveler
2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,539 Times in 777 Posts

I use this blow out plug with quick disconnect, screw it into water inlet, hook you air compressor to it and blow out HW tank (then put it on bypass), fresh water tank, on all internals to your coach just by methodically cycling through everything, then add some pink stuff to drains, grey tank, toilet and black tank and your done. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-Blo...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
My 2014 manual describes this process pretty well, go to the LTV site and download it. I found that reading other versions of Unity Manual you learn something that gets dropped or added in revisions.

Last edited by SSTraveler; 10-18-2015 at 11:52 AM.
SSTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SSTraveler For This Useful Post:
Peter Tourin (10-18-2015)