Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #161
srt4ny

Default Re: NCV3 Identification, Miles, Months and Opinion

I have a 2015 with 2.1 4cyl i bough this van brand new it now has 280,000 milles it has been the most reliable van I have owned i have replaced the alternator and the shocks mostly for a smother ride I upgraded dpf bracket never had any emissions problems untill just recently a def heater went bad other than that just regular maintenance al done by me.
srt4ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #162
s22

I have a 2018 2.1 4cyl only done 5,000 miles in it so far but really impressed, it just feels solid and well made, being rear wheel drive helps giving it great steering feel and a tight turning circle.
s22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:09 AM   #163
USMC Mustang

I have a 2014 Roadtrek built on the NCV3 / 906 six-cylinder Diesel engine. Bought it new and only have 20K miles on it in five years of ownership. Has been to the shop four times in five years for the exact same issue: DEF/DPF/NoX sensors. In 45 years of vehicle ownership, I have never owned anything so unreliable; new or used.
USMC Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #164
sailquik

Thanked 5,617 Times in 3,403 Posts

USMC Mustang,
Is the dealer you are using (I expect it's in the Washington DC or Northern Virginia area) an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer, or just the nearest Mercedes Benz Automobile dealer?
There are huge differences between the Authorized MB Sprinter dealers and the Mercedes Benz Car dealers.
Sounds like the dealer you are using is either not familiar with the repetitive faults/genuine replacement parts provisions of the Sprinter
new vehicle warranty or they are not giving you the benefits of the warranty provisions and simply charging you for everything they
replace and also charging you $170.00 every time they hook up your RV to their diagnostic computer.
You really need to get out your MB Sprinter warranty manual and become conversant with it's provisions so you can be assertive with
the service representative about what the warranty covers and what you need to pay out of pocket.
I've had to push them a bit on this, even though I'm supposed to be a favored Sprinter customer.
If you point out that they are diagnosing and repairing a part or system that they have previously repaired, there is a 2 year
extension to the warranty on those parts and possibly on the labor to diagnose and replace them a 2nd time.
Not all Mercedes Benz Authorized Sprinter dealers do a lot of commercial work, so look around for one of the few dealerships that
do a lot of commercial Sprinter repairs, and that has spent the extra capital to have a dedicated Sprinter repair shop with the high
bays and heavy duty service racks/heavy duty alignment tree/heavy duty wheel balancing equipment that it takes to service Sprinters
and Sprinter based RV's.
Hope this helps.
Roger
OEM back up camera, LED light package, fog lamps,
Had 2014 516 OM-651 I4/7G-Tronic|2010 NCV3 519/3500/144|2011 & 2012 NCV3 519/3500 170
2006 T1N 3500/158
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailquik For This Useful Post:
autostaretx (04-20-2019), TooMuchHair (04-20-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 12:49 PM   #165
travisap

2008 Dodge Sprinter 144 WB High Roof, 31,000 miles (yes, 31K miles). Bought from a wheelchair service company. They drilled many many holes into the van, making it somewhat of a pain to properly patch and address. Minimal rust though!
Old 10-06-2019, 03:54 AM   #166
dkbird

Dodge 2008 144 wheelbase passenger van, low roof. We added a rear wheelchair lift and removed two rows of seats as we have two boys (now men) who use wheelchairs and this is their ride. Only 70k km on the sprinter. We bought it for the high roof and potential service from dodge (which evaporated when they split from MB). MB dealer is 300 km away, but local dodge can get me parts.

I have a Toyota Sienna with 170k km of about the same vintage, no comparison as far as troubles, but the sprinter is not too bad - hard to beat Toyota! Had to change glow plugs a couple years ago and recurring CEL due to dirty EGR valve and sensors - clean them myself and light goes out. For the temperature sensors it seemed to me that connecting/disconnecting may have made more impact than the cleaning as they were very clean. The connectors seem very exposed to water/salt etc - regardless all returned to normal. A couple other issues (air leak on intercooler hose probably due to mechanic error after glow plugs. Other than expensive oil changes, fuel filters, air filters it doesn’t seem too bad. Gets serviced on interval as we don’t put enough km’s on it. The short runs are not good for the diesel, but is has two auxiliary heaters that run in the winter, one is a preheater that circulates and warms the coolant pre-start (if you remember) since MB had not heard of block heaters when we bought it. That does reduce mileage- a bit absurd having such an efficient engine you need to run a diesel heater to keep warm in the winter (does get cold in Medicine Hat). No rust, but it gets to stay nights in the garage, and gets bathed regularly.

We are looking at replacement, but we’re disappointed that MB doesn’t sell low roof van anymore and I like having it in the garage which is high but not that high to fit the current passenger van. One option is the crew van with added windows. According to MB regulation requires van be rated for number of passengers so use of a cargo van required re-rate for registration which they were not sure of process. We looked at the transit which has local service, but after driving the sprinter it just doesn’t feel as good in the transit. Would go with gas engine next time for our style of short trips - but the sprinter diesel was nice when we pulled our trailer. Mechanic who works on the sprinter thinks I’m nuts to look at ford (or trade sprinter) but it is a lucrative oil change for him!
dkbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:14 AM   #167
sailorman

2013 170wb passenger van doing a slow conversion. Using for towing a sailboat to regattas, occasional sleeping and running a lil shop out of the back. Bought a year ago with 132k, now have 152k, average 15mpg and been to Canada and Mexico with it within a couple weeks! Typical trip is 350 miles each way all freeway. Was worried it would be horrible to park... but so far it always works out, even in San Francisco. It helps that I have an electric skateboard that fits nicely in the back too.

So far so good... easy to drive, it takes cross wind like a champ, and I can throw 3 dinghy sailboats in the back!!
sailorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:15 PM   #168
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Our 2010 Roadtrek Agile Sprinter has been fairly reliable if that what you think after having to replace several NOx sensors. Now at 94,000+ miles.

Have taken her to Alaska; Labrador/Newfoundland all of the Canadian Provinces, even trekked to Inuvik, NWT. Used her on many off-road excursions. Next destination: Yellowknife, NWT to view Aurora Borealis in the flesh!

The most expensive undertaking was having to replace the DEF tank, pump and heater combo. I change my oil myself at every 7000-10,000 miles. We drive her at 70+ mph on the Interstates. Never idle!; always wait for the glow plug light to go out when starting. Always downshift where necessary. Replaced all four tires 3 times(aggressive of road tires do not last too long). Had more problems with the Roadtrek Agile interior RV design..piece of interior junk!!

When traveling EAST, always stop at SunMotors in Mechanicsburg, PA for a health check or when going WEST/NW/N at Dennis Linden Engineering in Golden, Colorado.

The engine is pretty indestructible except the emission system. Have yet to encounter any countdown. Did at one time receive an "engine" light but was found to have had the CPU reflashed! Fuel economy is between 17-20 mpg depending on speed and terrain.

We are thinking of either swapping/trading/selling her for a more Adventurous Sprinter Camper Van such as https://sportsmobile.com/mercedes-benz-4x4-sprinter/, so that we can go even further off-road.

cheers...
Seaker (02-07-2020)
Old 12-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #169
lindenengineering

Thanked 11,306 Times in 5,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein Sprinter View Post
Our 2010 Roadtrek Agile Sprinter has been fairly reliable if that what you think after having to replace several NOx sensors. Now at 94,000+ miles.

Have taken her to Alaska; Labrador/Newfoundland all of the Canadian Provinces, even trekked to Inuvik, NWT. Used her on many off-road excursions. Next destination: Yellowknife, NWT to view Aurora Borealis in the flesh!

The most expensive undertaking was having to replace the DEF tank, pump and heater combo. I change my oil myself at every 7000-10,000 miles. We drive her at 70+ mph on the Interstates. Never idle!; always wait for the glow plug light to go out when starting. Always downshift where necessary. Replaced all four tires 3 times(aggressive of road tires do not last too long). Had more problems with the Roadtrek Agile interior RV design..piece of interior junk!!

When traveling EAST, always stop at SunMotors in Mechanicsburg, PA for a health check or when going WEST/NW/N at Dennis Linden Engineering in Golden, Colorado.

The engine is pretty indestructible except the emission system. Have yet to encounter any countdown. Did at one time receive an "engine" light but was found to have had the CPU reflashed! Fuel economy is between 17-20 mpg depending on speed and terrain.

We are thinking of either swapping/trading/selling her for a more Adventurous Sprinter Camper Van such as https://sportsmobile.com/mercedes-benz-4x4-sprinter/, so that we can go even further off-road.

cheers...
Oh no!
Not that trusting Sprinter you have been using for ages.
I think you have worn half the tarmac off many of NA's roads with it!
Merry Christmas

Frohe Weihnachten und ein glückliches Neues Jahr
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #170
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
Oh no!
Not that trusting Sprinter you have been using for ages.
I think you have worn half the tarmac off many of NA's roads with it!
Merry Christmas

Frohe Weihnachten und ein glückliches Neues Jahr
Lieber Dennis... auch Frohe Weinachten und einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr für deine Familie.

By the way I wouldn't have minded taking a peek at the Ford Transit 4x4, but with their low rear shock mounts. This is streng verboten in our intended travels.

cheers...

Last edited by Mein Sprinter; 12-25-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Mein Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mein Sprinter For This Useful Post:
lindenengineering (12-29-2019)