Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 06-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
rvthereyet
2015.5 Unity TB

Default "Normal" temp for Fridge?

New 2015.5 TB...

Finally had a chance to put a refridgerator thermometer inside the lower area.

Seems to be hovering around 50 degrees F.

The coldness "squares" are all the way to the right (fully cold setting).

Does this seem about right?

--Tom
rvthereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
Bone Head
2014 LTV Unity MB

Default Re: "Normal" temp for Fridge?

That does not sound right to me. In mine, which is a 2014 MB so single door Dometic, it runs around 39 degrees in the frig with the control one notch down from coldest. Sometimes it will run into the 40's on hot sunny days, but will cool back to mid to low 30's at night.

Bob
Bone Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:58 PM   #3
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,751 Times in 8,737 Posts

If my memory serves, during restaurant kitchen inspections the health department looks for 40 - 42F max in food storage refrigeration units. Even if I'm off a bit on the official temperatures, 50F is too high for food storage.

Are you leveling the RV with a bubble level in the refrigerator? The cooling operation can be negatively affected if it is not close to level. If the frig is level the RV will be level enough for all other purposes.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:29 PM   #4
TwoClinks
2016 Unity TB

Hi Tom,
There has been a lot of discussion on refrigerator performance on this forum. Some very recent. I would start by searching the archives. We need more information to help you. I am assuming you have a RML 8555 two door. What it the ambient temp outside? Full sun? What mode are you operating in? Has it been opened much? Full of food? Is the cooling coil running behind the refrigerator? Let us know what you find. Here to help.

David
Old 06-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #5
TwoClinks
2016 Unity TB

Tom,
I didn't proof read my reply. There is a fan that should be running and helping circulate air through your coiling condenser behind your refrigerator. A temp switch controls it's run status.
Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 PM   #6
Peter Tourin
2012 LTV Unity MB

I've just started doing the same thing - I bought a digital thermometer with 2 remote sensors. I put one on the left side way back next to the fins; I put the other on the front door. The fridge is empty. In the morning I had 39.4 front/34.6 rear. It was hot today, around 80, and when I got home from work the interior was around 90. I read 56 front/39 rear. To make a rough check that both sensors were working, I reversed them - after awhile I had 55 front/33 rear, so I assume they're both reading well - I'll test them more carefully later.

Then I realized that I'd put the front sensor on the door near the top, where it was blocked by the freezer door. I moved it down so it wasn't blocked. After awhile I read 40 front/34 rear.

So temps can vary widely in different locations in an empty fridge, and the door may not have a lot of insulation in it. Even after a day of quick testing, it's clear that it's not as simple as just hanging a thermometer in the fridge and trusting it.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #7
TJLee089
2013 Itasca Reyo 25R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvthereyet View Post
New 2015.5 TB...

Finally had a chance to put a refridgerator thermometer inside the lower area.

Seems to be hovering around 50 degrees F.

The coldness "squares" are all the way to the right (fully cold setting).

Does this seem about right?

--Tom
How long did you wait after startup to read the temp? It can take a long time to line out. Also, ambient temp? Any sun shining on fridge side? Is outside fan running? What heat source? And lastly, is the thermometer accurate; try it in your home fridge or freezer. I agree 50F seems way too high.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #8
TJLee089
2013 Itasca Reyo 25R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tourin View Post
I've just started doing the same thing - I bought a digital thermometer with 2 remote sensors. I put one on the left side way back next to the fins; I put the other on the front door. The fridge is empty. In the morning I had 39.4 front/34.6 rear. It was hot today, around 80, and when I got home from work the interior was around 90. I read 56 front/39 rear. To make a rough check that both sensors were working, I reversed them - after awhile I had 55 front/33 rear, so I assume they're both reading well - I'll test them more carefully later.

Then I realized that I'd put the front sensor on the door near the top, where it was blocked by the freezer door. I moved it down so it wasn't blocked. After awhile I read 40 front/34 rear.

So temps can vary widely in different locations in an empty fridge, and the door may not have a lot of insulation in it. Even after a day of quick testing, it's clear that it's not as simple as just hanging a thermometer in the fridge and trusting it.
It makes some sense that the thinnest insulation would be in the door. Otherwise, the door would need to be thicker, less appealing.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:38 AM   #9
Peter Tourin
2012 LTV Unity MB

Yes indeed - and the interior temp was 90 though the outside temp was a bit below 80, so there was a big temp differential at the door.
---------------------------
I'm home from work now - this morning at 7 I had 37.0 front, 33.5 rear and 71 interior temp. This afternoon at 3 I had 38 front, 34.5 rear and 82 ambient.
So it's being pretty consistent - front always warmer in this particular setting.

I should say that I have the RV parked at home, with the fridge side facing North, so the exterior is away from the sun. I don't have windows open and I'm not running fans, which is why the ambient is getting hot. Once I've watched it for awhile I'll change things around - maybe fill the fridge with items and keep watching. It'll also be interesting at some point to turn the RV so the exterior fridge side is facing south and see how that affects things. No immediate trips planned so I have the time to just play and see what happens.

Last edited by Peter Tourin; 06-19-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Peter Tourin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:17 AM   #10
Don Horner
2012 Unity IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Tourin View Post
Yes indeed - and the interior temp was 90 though the outside temp was a bit below 80, so there was a big temp differential at the door.
I don't let the temps get that high inside. I do have shore power at home (I installed a 30A 120V breaker and a 30A 120V outlet on the side of the garage), so I can run my Fantastic fan all the time. I have a Fantastic Breeze vent cover so the fan can stay open and running all the time. I open several windows. The temperature inside stays a few degrees below ambient exterior temps.

I have the wireless thermometers in my Amazon cart; just waiting for something else to put in the cart to get over $35 for free shipping. But, I have a couple of things in the freezer an they stay frozen, and have some sodas on the door, and they're always cold enough. I'll report further when I get my thermometers.