Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, & Problems with the Forum

Old 02-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #31
ECU

Thanked 1,216 Times in 892 Posts
Default Re: Let's see what trolling crap K-9 SPRINTER is up to (again)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardB View Post

400 amp breakers / fuses sounds useless, my goal is to reduce my breakers /fuses down down down to their minimums, most of my small 12v stuff like cabinet lights etc are running on 5amp fuses.

Comments good or bad always welcome.
I have two aux batteries that are wired to my inverter, one foot runs. Each has a 150a 12v automotive CB to the feed. I used 4g solid core. In installing stuff I shorted the lead on one battery and just about welded the battery terminal clear off. It didn't trip the CB. But that is the rating, 1500W peak.
I put a 200a fuse in the crank battery's fuse box because I thought that is what factory was. 4g wire between Aux and crank. I don't think that stuff will ever blow.

Last edited by ECU; 02-05-2015 at 03:37 PM.
ECU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:02 PM   #32
HowardB

I would consider fuses over CB's between batteries and other componets. Especially if you are using 110v CB's in a 12v system.

I have seen CB's melted in the on position while wires fry.

Also if your 150 did not work, drop it down in 25 amps at a time till you blow one under normal use, then go 25 above that.
We want our breakers to go off instantly when there is an actual problem.

I had a watch band weld itself to my wrist one day when I was using a wrench on the positive post and the bottom of my wrist & metal watch band hit the negitive at the same moment my wrench hit the side of the band.

Speaking of things dangling, a woman about 20 miles away from our shop (a customer) went out to start her generator and her scarf got wrapped up in it and she died right there, at night, in the snow alone.

Be careful out there boys,

I'm starting to like this thread now. Thanks OnioN.
HowardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #33
K-9 SPRINTER

Thanked 1,397 Times in 847 Posts

Quote:

So I might be missing the need for 400 amp breakers
Comments good or bad always welcome.
He needs it for the gray water filter system
Conversion by Sportsmobile(Texas) to a RV/kennel ... Full Kitchen, 50 gal fresh/25 black/25 gray ,15000 btu 110 AC, 32000/BTU rear AC w/engine driven compressor, maxx air vent, D4 espar, marine toilet, shower, 5-8D batteries, Powertec generator, solar panels, in motion satellite tv, side/front/rear cam system, running boards, custom outside led lights,
Alcoa wheels

Last edited by K-9 SPRINTER; 02-05-2015 at 03:50 PM.
K-9 SPRINTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #34
HowardB

Btw you should really use stranded wire in marine and mobile units. It's a fatigue issue at the connections and where wires can shake.
HowardB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #35
icarus

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,702 Posts

DC current his harder to break than AC current. It sustains an arc much better given its tature of "always being on", as opposed to AC which is "off" roughly have the time. That is why circuit breakers and switches have both DC and AC ratings, and indeed there are only a few household style breakers that are rated for DC at all. (Square D QO series comes to mind)

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #36
ECU

Thanked 1,216 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Btw you should really use stranded wire in marine and mobile units. It's a fatigue issue at the connections and where wires can shake.
The install is tight. Nothing between the items is moving. Stranded to chassis ground and the long run to the relay/start link.

I found that the short runs were quite difficult with stranded. It wouldn't hold a bend and was very difficult to manipulate.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #37
flman
In Transit

Thanked 4,591 Times in 3,519 Posts

Quote:
The OP of this thread is "special". He is famous for posting flamed threads then locking them, or threads that he moderates and only allows positive reinforced reply's to.
Im personally getting a kick out of his latest grossly obvious plagiarized thread on his electrical theorys (which sport dual 400 amp breakers) and 0000 ga wiring.
Me thinks he was pasting and posting schematics from a submarine forum.

For a while I thought Merlin had hacked his account, but now me thinks he is/was Merlin all along.

☺popcorn eh jacko?
Exactly, that looks like something that was plucked out of google images. First he is a photographer, then an electrical wizard.
flman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
orion big whiner, orion crys again