Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 05-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
Denis4x4
2013 Unity TB

Default 0 Defects at 7,000 miles!

Since there are a lot of people that check out this site to help them make a buying decision, I thought that I'd start a thread on ownership experiences; good, bad or otherwise. Ours is a 2013 TB.

Just returned from a 2100 mile trip over 10 days and other than 9 days of windy conditions, it was a great trip. So far in nine months of ownership and over 7,000 miles, the biggest problem I've incurred is the snap on the strap holding the toilet compartment door open let go! Mileage has ranged from 13.4 to 18.0 MPG. My wife enjoys driving it and parking is much easier than I anticipated. I've used it as a tow vehicle twice and, again, the performance exceeded my expectations.

I'd like to see better instrumentation, especially a transmission fluid temp gauge. I have a Sony entertainment head that is worthless due to the glare. I tried an anti-glare screen, but then I was unable to use the touch screen features. I have to remove my dark glasses to see the pictures on the backup/sideview camera images.

We use only one section of the center mattress inserts so that it's easier to get in and out of the beds. My wife uses the little counter top trash can to store real trash bags. The only modifications we did was to replace the table top (see my album as I don't know how to resize photos) and have the Tireman valve stem extensions installed.

The Unity replaced a 2006 Airstream Safari 25FB. There is no comparison between the quality of the AS and the Unity. The AS has been a constant source of angst due to quality and design issues. Looked at the AS Interstate and Roadtrek before purchasing the Unity.

All in all, we're very pleased with the Unity TB experience.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Denis4x4 For This Useful Post:
bookman (05-25-2014), hein (05-25-2014), mumkin (05-26-2014), Pat123 (05-26-2014), pfflyer (05-31-2014), VaVet96 (05-26-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
bobojay

Default Re: 0 Defects at 7,000 miles!

On your screen glare issue. We went and bought tablet/reader anti glare screen cover and cut one down to fit the dash radio screen. Works great but still have to remove sun glasses to see the back up screen well
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
cherylandtk
2014 Unity TB

We have a similar experience to yours Denis; 4 1/2 months, 9200 total miles, three trips of 2,5,2 weeks. No failures, not even the door snap. Overall gas mileage is 16, lowest noted was 12.5, highest 24.5 (but that was downhill from Mesa Verde at the start of a driving day). We have a 2014 Unity TB, purchased January 2014. It has already been on both coasts and 18 states in between.
The Following User Says Thank You to cherylandtk For This Useful Post:
VaVet96 (05-26-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
bookman
2015.5 LTV Unity TB

Thumbs up Re: 0 Defects at 7,000 miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Since there are a lot of people that check out this site to help them make a buying decision, I thought that I'd start a thread on ownership experiences; good, bad or otherwise. Ours is a 2013 TB.

Just returned from a 2100 mile trip over 10 days and other than 9 days of windy conditions, it was a great trip. So far in nine months of ownership and over 7,000 miles, the biggest problem I've incurred is the snap on the strap holding the toilet compartment door open let go! Mileage has ranged from 13.4 to 18.0 MPG. My wife enjoys driving it and parking is much easier than I anticipated. I've used it as a tow vehicle twice and, again, the performance exceeded my expectations.

I'd like to see better instrumentation, especially a transmission fluid temp gauge. I have a Sony entertainment head that is worthless due to the glare. I tried an anti-glare screen, but then I was unable to use the touch screen features. I have to remove my dark glasses to see the pictures on the backup/sideview camera images.

We use only one section of the center mattress inserts so that it's easier to get in and out of the beds. My wife uses the little counter top trash can to store real trash bags. The only modifications we did was to replace the table top (see my album as I don't know how to resize photos) and have the Tireman valve stem extensions installed.

The Unity replaced a 2006 Airstream Safari 25FB. There is no comparison between the quality of the AS and the Unity. The AS has been a constant source of angst due to quality and design issues. Looked at the AS Interstate and Roadtrek before purchasing the Unity.

All in all, we're very pleased with the Unity TB experience.
It's great to hear such reassuring praise from you. I think the Unity TB is a winner, and LTV really seems to know how to build them right the first time. Thank you so very much for posting this. I am within a few months of taking the (expensive) plunge.
bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:11 AM   #5
HDDrvr
2013 Unity TB

Dennis4x4,

We have had our TB just over a year now and have close to 6,000 miles on it. We have only had two issues: last month a propane leak at the fill valve and a circuit board for the Dometic refrigerator. Let me elaborate.

Propane leak: on our last trip in April we noticed a smell inside the coach. At first I thought it was a sewer smell and couldn't figure out why or from where. DW said she thought it was a propane leak. I checked everything out and didn't find anything wrong. Two days after getting home I was out by the coach and heard a hissing noise. I opened the propane compartment door and sure enough, propane was leaking from the area of the propane fill valve. Long story short, the local dealer found that the sealant around the fill valve developed a pin hole leak. The dealer removed the fill valve, cleaned out all the old sealant and resealed everything. No cost to me other than the loss of half a tank of propane. LTV paid for the repair but not the cost of the propane refill...oh well, at least LTV covered the repair cost.

Dometic circuit board: for the past several trips (we go at least 4 days each month) we've had trouble with the fridge switching to electric after plugging in to shore power. Some times it would take more than 4 hours before it switched over to electric operation. The fridge cools perfectly and no problems other than switching to electric. Again, long story short, local dealer checked it out and discovered a bad circuit board. Dometic sent a new circuit board and covered the cost plus installation.

I know what you mean about monitoring engine performance parameters. I installed a Ultra Gauge EM just for that reason. I couldn't be happier! It monitors all the parameters I want, and then some.

We just finished getting the coach set up to tow our Honda Fit and the Fit set up to be towed. So far I've only towed it home (12 miles) from the place that did the install. Our first trip with the toad is next month over to the coast. Initial impression of towing: didn't know it was back there. The only concern is the Fit being narrower than the coach, I can't see it when towing in a straight line. Thankfully we can use the backup camera to check on it while going down the road.

Overall, we could not be happier with our choice of the LTV Unity TB.

Good luck and safe travels.
HDDrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:31 AM   #6
JLC1

Wow 7000 miles????
They must hate you at the dealership. You should have been towed in twice by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JLC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:51 AM   #7
sailquik

Thanked 5,471 Times in 3,322 Posts

Why?
I have 24,000 miles on my 2014 OM-651 I4 2 stage turbocharger with the 7G-Tronic 7 speed transmission, and the only things I've had done are the "A" service @ ~11,000 miles and the "B" service @ ~21,000 miles.
The new Sprinter has never missed a beat and I don't expect that it will, in spite of towing a high wide 4,500 lb. cargo trailer some of the time.
Actually, now that it's getting broken in, it's getting better towing mileage than any Sprinter I've owned. (Including the '06 T1N I5 OM-647/5 speed)
Get's the job done, no strain, no issues.
It wants a 2.5 gal DEF kit every 6k-7k miles but that's the only fluid (besides diesel) that it's needed.
My overall mileage in 24 K miles is ~23-24 MPG.
Towing (on flat land in the Mid Atlantic Coastal area) mileage is in the 19-20 range which is what I got WITHOUT the trailer
with the 2010/2011/2012 OM-642 V6 engines with the 5G-Tronic(NAG-1) 5 speed.
What's not to like?
Roger
Suspension Seats, Active Safety Package +, Parktronic, OEM Hitch/wiring
OEM back up camera, Bi Xenon light package, fog lamps, headlight washers.
Had 2006 T1N 3500/158|2010 NCV3 519/3500/144|2011 & 2012 NCV3 519/3500 170

Last edited by sailquik; 05-28-2014 at 02:57 AM.
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
corvbumz
2014 Silver MB

Hate to say it, but our 2014 failed at 300 miles - bad NOX (sp?). Had to turn back 3 hours into our first trip. Dealer replaced it within 24 hours. No issues since, but we are just on our second trip. Other than that, it is great! Love the gas mileage, and everything else on the rig has met expectations.

One note: We added the "optional" table that the LTV site says you can't get with the MB floorplan, and absolutely love it. It allows us to leave the u-lounge in permanent couch-mode - I made an extra cushion that fits over the table. The "couch" serves as a great place for our dogs to hang out while we are moving, perfect for a quick catnap for the tired spouse, and a lovely place to snuggle for watching movies during rain storms.
corvbumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
flman
In Transit

Thanked 4,591 Times in 3,519 Posts

7K is not quite a benchmark of anything, mine does not even get an oil change until 10K. Any ways, I wish you luck with it, and hope if takes you 700K!
flman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
cherylandtk
2014 Unity TB

Flman, you have a valid point about the Sprinter portion of the rig...should take quite awhile and last much longer, NOX valves at 300 miles notwithstanding. I suspect the OP's point on this thread, however, is focused more towards the LTV motorhome conversion on said chassis and the things that, at least on many other manufacturer's rigs, tend to require several trips to the dealer to fix, adjust, replace etc. within the first few weeks and months of ownership. Unlike the Mercedes portion, which on our 2014 and newer don't get that first service visit until 15,000. :-)

Last edited by cherylandtk; 05-31-2014 at 06:49 PM.
cherylandtk is offline   Reply With Quote