Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, & Problems with the Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #21
flman
In Transit

Thanked 4,593 Times in 3,521 Posts
Default Re: When/Why did this forum become a flame fest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbiker View Post
You run the risk of moderators becoming trigger happy Nazis. I've seen it before. It's not something I want to be associated with.

BTW icarus, if you criticize a post, it's not unrealistic to receive some yourself.

Cal
I think the mods in this forum are pretty good guys, now if some one were to attack another unprovoked they might do something about it, but they always seem to see right through it.

Like Icarus said, he should not participate is the Off Topic section, none of his business weather it goes or stays. He could go start his own totalitarian Sprinter forum just as well, and it would be as dead as http://mysprintervan.com

There busiest sub forum does not have as many posts since its inception, as a single danger zone thread.

Last edited by flman; 03-17-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 PM   #22
bladerunner

Thanked 4,719 Times in 3,137 Posts

Ok Guys having read the last 19 posts ......................go ponder this.......

1. Post was started by Icarus who as shown by flman (and others) as the best example of (pot calling the kettle black) with what he is trying to sanctimoniously impose on the rest of us.

2. Graphite Dave asks us to 'respect others opinions'........... begs the question WHY? if one disagrees with them or feels they don't deserve respect?

3. Suggest every opinion does not automatically deserve respect! Since when are all opinions of equal value or of any value at all?

4. Further suggest that the On Topic Zones and the Off Topic Zones especially the Danger Zone are two separate beasts to take a ride on and if you don't understand that or can't cope/handle that ............LEAVE the area but don't try and impose your censorship and inadequacies of not coping on anyone else.

5. Last time I looked one had to ask for permission/access to the Danger Zone from the Moderators.

6. Accordingly then when somebody has gone to that trouble and then finds the 'playing field' is not to their liking or they are not up to it and them then wanting to change the rules to their liking or close the game done is in my humble opinion nothing short of censorship.

7. Suggest those folk take their bat and go play on a field that has their rules or start their own game with their rules and see who comes to play.

8. Do recall Uncle Dave stating (something along the lines) that in the powerboat forum he is in the participants make us Guys look like wimps!

9. Maybe as flman suggested, there should be a ' no Cry Babies disclaimer' agreed to before access is provided to the Danger Zone.

10.Oh and btw Icarus when you start to watch a movie on TV or at the movies and decide its not to your liking/standard or has to many expletives ...............do you rant rave at the TV screen? Stand up in the movie theater and preach your standards and indignation? And for the book you find not promoting your 'high' standards............ is there a book burning?

11. Further Icarus..................its interesting how its been pointed out that you spend a considerable time in the Off Topic especially the Danger Zone instead of NOT..........why is that perchance? Are your 'high' standards of discipline/ethics really too weak to resist the temptations of the Danger Zone or perhaps you are a closet 'o' trying to save us 'sinners'??

12. And Icarus............why shouldn't one question ones motives? Suggest EVERYTHING is open to question!
For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise. Benjamin Franklin

LET THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!:

Science - Here are the facts, now what conclusions can we draw from them?

Religion - Here are the conclusions, now what facts can we find to support them?

Last edited by bladerunner; 03-18-2014 at 12:05 AM. Reason: more info
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bladerunner For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (10-13-2016), flman (03-18-2014), johnshmit (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:01 AM   #23
Crush

Being a new member, I have to admit that I've noticed Icarus to be one of the most insulting and abrasive people here. He continues to insult people and then act as if he did nothing wrong while everyone else is causing the trouble.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crush For This Useful Post:
bladerunner (03-18-2014), flman (03-18-2014), johnshmit (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:03 AM   #24
bladerunner

Thanked 4,719 Times in 3,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
I certainly not arguing that one shouldn't criticize any post. What I am saying is that you don't have to question ones motives. If he feels that my opinion is in error, simply rebut rebut my argument.

For example. If someone says that deleting a DPF is fine to do, it is certainly fine to rebut by saying it is illegal and has an environmental cost is certainly within bounds. The the poster then says that diesel particulate emission are no big deal, it is certainly within bound to point out the human health issues (amongst others) associated with increased emissions. To argue otherwise is simply, demonstrably false, and one can back that up with evidence if needed.

So, feel free to rebut my opinions, but do so with respect, and a cogent, rational argument. Because I say so doesn't make it true. Because you say so also doens't make it true. Build an argument.

Icarus
Why do you have a problem with questioning ones motives as that excuses your motives for this thread to start of with?

Suggest pretty much all you have said is just YOUR opinion and accordingly doesn't automatically make it true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise. Benjamin Franklin

LET THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!:

Science - Here are the facts, now what conclusions can we draw from them?

Religion - Here are the conclusions, now what facts can we find to support them?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #25
dublina

Quote:
Originally Posted by flman View Post
Hmm, I do recall Icarus calling me and other members names in the danger zone. I will never personally attack a member. But once they attack me, it is on.

Pot is still calling the kettle black.

I have to fundamentally disagree with this your suggestion that Icarus has in any way "called you or any other member names" based upon those links you have posted here.

I have read each in turn and can find nothing to suggest Icarus has insulted you or anyone else for that matter. His response in each case, is considered and tempered. They are well constructed and deal with each issue logically as well as tactfully.

Moreover I would suggest that his response, is underpinning the points he is making in his original post rather then undermining them.

He has dealt with an alternative view point in a systematic and logical manner rather then using simple, "nondescript" lewd adjectives to dismiss them out of hand or worse still, relied on,"smileys" as a substitute for a reasoned and logical retort. The latter approach seems to be all too common in many of the posts that I have read on this forum.

Debate on a forums should not be, " an us-versus-them" sort of affair, where anyone who disagrees should be perceived as the enemy and as a result of their inferior arguments must be ground into the dirt by any means possible.

For whatever reason some members on this particular forum seem to believe that ridiculing or attacking the individual who has expressed these alternative views/beliefs is the most effective way to "win" the argument. Not only is the attack personal, but in many cases it is made by them inappropriate use of symbols or simple name calling.

It's my view that this approach is not usually the best means of persuasion
and only serves to undermine the good intentions of those who take the time to provide an opinion whether it be a good or bad contribution.

Unfortunately your post is a simple case in point. Icarus makes a suggestion. Rather then consider his suggestion you have chosen to attack him personally. Not very helpful at all.

Now I shall wait for you to direct your ire at me because I have chosen to support his point of view in deference to yours !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dublina For This Useful Post:
angolaron (03-18-2014), b1xcra35 (03-18-2014), icarus (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #26
robbin

Wow -- so many personal insults here. It's a real shame that some users don't seem to be able to carry on a conversation without direct attacks on others.

Regarding the Danger Zone and it's appropriateness for a Sprinter forum -- I really could care less what is posted there. However I do not like the fact that it is in effect forced on me. Every time I click on the New Posts tab that forum and it's politics are forced on me. Personally I don't want to see it. If it is not about a Sprinter then it is useless to me. But more than that -- it is insulting to me to see the disrespectful posts and thread topics which have absolutely nothing to do with Sprinters. Perhaps the Off-Topic forums could be divorced from the new posts search or somehow members could be allowed to choose to not see search results from those forums.

At this point I tend to agree with what was posted at the beginning of the thread and most of the posts in this thread prove it.

Quote:
It is one thing for tis behavior to be tolerated in the "danger zone" but the enevitable result is that it tends to increasingly bleed into the the general forum.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robbin For This Useful Post:
b1xcra35 (03-18-2014), dublina (03-18-2014), icarus (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:22 AM   #27
surlyoldbill

Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,704 Posts

This forum has been great, so many helpful people. I've been able to fix and mod everything on my van by myself ONLY because of this forum and it's members, including one very upstanding D.A.D. owner who has been generous with his time. I try to pay back on the forum with info I've gleaned or learned the hard way. It's a little uncomfortable to see squabbles between members, and to find yourself getting sucked in.

Again, so much finger pointing. If people are so much of an annoyance, like a yelling drunk staggering out of an alley, just avoid them and pretend they don't exist. They LIVE for attention (good or bad) and will go away if no one acknowledges them. Maybe they'll join the Miniature Horse Ranching forum and enlighten all of THEM with their wonderful dogmatic insights and let everyone there know that thy are superior in ideology and intellect. Sooner or later the Mini Horse people will stop paying attention, and they will have to move on to a different obscure forum.

The passive-aggressive and aggressive-aggressive replies made predominantly by a select few yelling staggering members are ho-hum boring textbook examples of self-loathing expressed as transference. They are amateurs of viciousness. My superpower of viciousness is kept in check because I realize that with super power comes super responsibility, and it should never be used as entertainment. Unless I'm drunk, and girls are watching.*

*if I have to explain parody and sarcasm one more time, I'll sue you
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surlyoldbill For This Useful Post:
angolaron (03-18-2014), Lead boy (03-20-2014), sailquik (03-18-2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:28 AM   #28
surlyoldbill

Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
Being a new member, I have to admit that I've noticed Icarus to be one of the most insulting and abrasive people here. He continues to insult people and then act as if he did nothing wrong while everyone else is causing the trouble.
To give the benefit of the doubt, in person he could say the same exact things but his body language and expressions would make it palatable and even sort of friendly banter. Deeds speak louder than words. If my Corvair took to heart all the swearing I've done at it while caringly mending it's wounds instead of the end result, it would think I was a jerk. But then again, I am.

Vote SOB for Queen Bitch, "He's a jerk!"
(this message approved by SOB for Queen Bitch 2014)
Old 03-18-2014, 12:39 AM   #29
icarus

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
Says the man who wishes me (and all like me) dead! Post #672 and 679

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...=30536&page=68

And then added this, post #693

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...=30536&page=70

I rest my case,

Icarus
Old 03-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #30
flman
In Transit

Thanked 4,593 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote:
Says the man who wishes me (and all like me) dead! Post #672 and 679

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...=30536&page=68

And then added this, post #693

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...=30536&page=70

I rest my case,

Icarus
Now you are displaying the behavior you are complaining about.
Closed Thread