Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Write-Ups

NCV3 Write-Ups Help other NCV3 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
gary 32
07 ncv3 pv

Default EGR cooler cleaning question

Gentlemen,

Just cleaned my egr valve after 5.5k miles, my egt's were climbing so I guessed it was starting to stick open. After cleaning just the valve both performance and mileage improved substantially and my egt's dropped.

With the valve removed I took my air hose and lightly blasted the cooler outlet, some powder went airborne but I could see bare metal. Planned on doing the cooler but I started thinking about egr flow. I have no cel lights or codes.

Would leaving the cooler dirty slow down egr volume yet still cool the lower volume, if so why clean the cooler? Why not clean just the valve?
gary 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #22
icarus

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,702 Posts
Default Re: EGR cooler cleaning, was pretty easy

How often should one contemplate a cleaning? What are the signs that it needs cleaning?

I have 50k miles on mine and have never cleaned it. (actually I ony have 25k on the engine since the engine was replaced due to a deer accident!)

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #23
icarus

Thanked 2,516 Times in 1,702 Posts

How often should one contemplate a cleaning? What are the signs that it needs cleaning?

I have 50k miles on mine and have never cleaned it. (actually I ony have 25k on the engine since the engine was replaced due to a deer accident!)

Icarus
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
comet429

I have 124,000 on mine.

Guess I better learn how to do this.
comet429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #25
surlyoldbill

Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,704 Posts

02-03 engines have a different design EGR, and I recommend cleaning every other oil change to make them last a little longer. They are a maintenance part like a fuel or air filter, they DO wear out and stop functioning at some point. I replaced mine at 160-170k or so.
surlyoldbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #26
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,936 Posts

The forum hasn't come to an even loose description of a prescribed cleaning cycle for US/Canadian 3.0L 642 EGR valves, coolers or temp sensor cleaning/replacement.

So far, we've been replacing and cleaning as needed based on individual situations encountered.

-Jon

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #27
PLUMMER

I am finding with the low quality fuel and winter blends we get you have to clean more often, ori should say I do the way I drive lots of city driving and short run times . Rarely does the engine run more than 30-40 minutes straight. Highway driving or where EGTS stay high enough to keep the soot from clinging to the cooler fins. If you see wet soft build up anywhere but in the short snorkel into the intake, its not good. Wet soot is what does the damage and clogs much faster. I clean every 5-10k.

I am trying to come up with a method that does not require full removal of the cooler. Rigged with a shop vac and air nozzle. Via EGR hole and cooler bypass valve.
07 2500 170" HR, Michelin LTX/MS 235/85-R16 add 6% over Dash mpg & 6% less milage on the odometer. Contractor Package,Heated Seats,Windows & Mirrors, 2kw True Clean Power Inverter,Ceiling Pipe & Ladder Mounts, Rear Electric Space Heat, Full Weatherguard Bins,Totes,Racks,Drawers,Cabinets Custom Welded & Fitted to maintain interior width- Aluminum Plate work Bench. Diamond plate Aluminum walls w/Unistrut mount system.Lifetime Average MPG 17.8 (includes idle time). Summer MPG 20.9/ Winter 18.8
PLUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #28
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMMER View Post
I am finding with the low quality fuel and winter blends we get you have to clean more often, ori should say I do the way I drive lots of city driving and short run times . Rarely does the engine run more than 30-40 minutes straight. Highway driving or where EGTS stay high enough to keep the soot from clinging to the cooler fins. If you see wet soft build up anywhere but in the short snorkel into the intake, its not good. Wet soot is what does the damage and clogs much faster. I clean every 5-10k.

I am trying to come up with a method that does not require full removal of the cooler. Rigged with a shop vac and air nozzle. Via EGR hole and cooler bypass valve.

Can you post a picture of the short snorkel into the intake? I don't know what that means, but I'd like to take a look.

I also drive mostly in the city. My engine doesn't run more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time during the work week. I haven't had to clean my EGR cooler. The EGR valve and temp sensor have about 25k on them. The cooler hasn't been cleaned since it was manufactured; 50,000 miles ago.

-Jon

US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 PM   #29
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

I had my EGR valve replaced, along with the temp sensor 6 months prior to warranty expiration, 25,000 miles ago.

I thought I should be clear about not having cleaned the EGR valve or the temp sensor - they were replaced under warranty - along with never having cleaned the cooler.

I suppose I'd be up for it if someone told me I'd be prolonging the life of my engine. I have no symptoms at this time.

-Jon

Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
vitola231

Sorry for delay in reply, got to configure user cp to alert me of posts. The black goo was just in that pipe that goes into intake, the rest was light fluffy soot. Like servicing oil boiler again :) blew soot everywhere! something is wrong with machine though, no doubt. was hiccuping since one month old. Now I am having multiple regens daily and just cleaned egr valve week and a half ago and hiccuping again already. going to bring it to merc to get it checked out. London Mercedes used to be a Mercedes owned corporate store but was bought by Ryan Finch and the difference seems amazing both in service etc, much better. unit has 109,000 km 67,700 miles. my 08 has same milage, same driving but no issue ever

plumber, yeah I hear you! just I have customers calling who went to states and picked up boilers for lower than my cost, but that seems almost normal now, I can buy much stuff cheaper at hardware stores than wholesaler's. Installed a bunch of those Buderus GB162's, wow, nice package for ease of installation!
vitola231 is offline   Reply With Quote