Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:45 PM   #41
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,753 Times in 8,739 Posts
Default Re: Fuel Tank Coil Rusty Wye Fittings

Being that the proper OEM part doesn't seem to be available I have been looking for some substitute fittings for the fuel coil rusty joiners. (Dodge supplies an incorrect plastic 1/4" Wye fitting contained in a MB part bag.) The unequal leg divider fittings are not a common configuration.

T1NFuelCoilYvsOEM.jpg

I located some vacuum fittings that have angles that should fit. I don't know the pressure rating of the fittings.

I'm also not certain what the fuel pressures are at the fuel cooling coils. Being that they're on the return system the pressures may not be very great. The fact that the fittings can be quite crusty and not leak also supports that the fuel pressures are not very high.

Y Vacuum Connector 3/8" x 3/8" x 3/8"
Product ID : VT746
Manufacturer: Technicians Resource
http://www.spendlessautoparts.com/va...ors/vt746.html

T1NFuelCoilYvsOEMpossible.jpg

Y Vacuum Connector 5/16" x 5/16" x 5/16"
Product ID : VT488
Manufacturer: Technicians Resource
http://www.spendlessautoparts.com/va...ors/vt488.html

FWIW.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 05-31-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #42
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 1,511 Times in 1,052 Posts

These 10mm Y’s look promising? They’re brass, but the nickel plating should make them B100 compatible.

https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-c...-nickel-plated

(have we determined the ID of these fuel hoses?)

-dave
Nautamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautamaran For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (06-08-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #43
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,753 Times in 8,739 Posts

Possible maybe.

The configuration of the OEM fitting is a bit odd. Even the "straight leg" isn't really straight. It has a slight offset.

Refer to the pics in post #1 and in post #26.

The straight leg vacuum fitting I found might not really fit, but may if the hoses allow enough give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautamaran View Post

(have we determined the ID of these fuel hoses?)

-dave
Check the 1/4" Dodge part comparison to OEM that Theodore was kind enough to provide in post #26.

My guess is that 5/16" might be a bit loose, but will clamp down to seal. The 3/8" may be snug, but the hose should push on.

The fitting which you found will probably fit if a loop of hose is used for the one leg. Another option is to use long(er) hoses on each leg and place the fitting further away from the OEM position. That won't affect flow enough to matter.

I haven't tried a MB dealer using my VIN, only the Dodge dealership who provided the incorrect too small 1/4" diameter, and incorrect equal leg Wye fitting. The MB dealership is a bit of distance away for me.

Thanks for searching. The quest continues.

vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post

Sorry for any misinformation about parts, but it's what I was supplied from the Dodge dealership.

One of the reasons that I have yet to replace the 2004 crusty looking fittings was that the access and parts change looked to be a bit of a pain.

One answer to the problem is to use 3 ea. long(er) hoses and route the fuel hose out to a traditional Tee fitting. Alternatively, it looks like either a Wye or Tee fitting should install on 2 legs with no problem. A long hose loop can be used for the leg that doesn't align properly.
Added:
If OEM isn't possible, and the long hose loop method is necessary, 3/8" barb Tee fitting are more common locally than are Wye fittings.
Additional reflection:
It may make sense to install an equal leg Y fitting in a backwards facing orientation. That should allow the loop hose to fit into the space available and maybe use less hose.

Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-10-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote