Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #21
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,749 Times in 8,735 Posts
Default Re: Rusty Fuel Coil Fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPJ View Post
I would remove and replace that today .. It's wasted, likely to catastrophic fail: suddenly stranding your suffering ass.
As I thought that I already made fairly clear, my suffering ass will chance it for a few more years. But thanks for the concern and advice.
Added:
Now May 2019 (greased May 2012) and those ugly crusty steel fittings are still in service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
... can of spray tar ...
I found some of those products cake up and dry out over time. Does the spray tar that you use stay somewhat fluid to creep, or tend to harden as a coating?

One of things that I really like about plain old wheel bearing grease is that it creeps and migrates around on the parts. That is especially true if you occasionally re-apply the grease like I do. It basically halts the rusting.

Some recommend body cavity wax. My understanding is that the body cavity wax will creep similar to the grease that I use.

I use the WD40 with straw to apply for some inaccessible places, but WD40 doesn't have the staying power of some other choices.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 05-22-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Theodore (10-30-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #22
Patrick of M
2005 T1N 2500 (NA spec)

The spray I use does not seem to harden, and since all the house vehicles get sprayed with jellied rust proofing muck every fall, the result is an awful sticky black mess that gets on everything, if you even think of getting near the underside of the vehicles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick of M For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (04-24-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 06:10 AM   #23
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick of M View Post
The spray I use does not seem to harden, and since all the house vehicles get sprayed with jellied rust proofing muck every fall, the result is an awful sticky black mess that gets on everything, if you even think of getting near the underside of the vehicles.
...then the Quebec Highway Dept covers the roads with a lovely mix of salt and coarse orange sand, which cakes up in your wheel wells, destroys the clear coat on the nose of your vehicle, and after being crushed by traffic settles into the lower seams of your hood, doors, and trunk lid... the damp sand blocks weeping holes and holds salty water in winter, corroding anything it touches, and summer rain which freezes solid the next winter, jacking open the brittle, corroded seams.
BWAHAHAhahahaaaa...!

Sleep tight,

-dave

(the only thing worse than tarring the car every fall was NOT tarring the car every fall!)
Nautamaran is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nautamaran For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (04-24-2018), Patrick of M (04-24-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 01:50 AM   #24
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,448 Times in 4,076 Posts

Yeah they should really just require snow tires year round, and stop with the salt/mag chloride nonsense.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:01 AM   #25
Nautamaran
2004 140” SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 1,502 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
Yeah they should really just require snow tires year round, and stop with the salt/mag chloride nonsense.
Actually Quebec is one of the few jurisdictions in Canada to require “Winter” tires through the winter months (another is British Columbia’s mountain passes: “winter tires or carry chains”) yet they still dump mountains of sand on their highways... I once transited following a convoy of maintenance trucks, and after two hours my square-nosed econo-box had acquired a sleekly sculpted entry reminiscent of a Mazda Miata: the fresh sand had stuck to my grille and headlights and then been scoured into shape by the wind blast.

Here in Alberta is often too cold for NaCl to be of any use, so they spread CaCl blended with pea-gravel. Peas can apparently grow pretty large here... I’ve never seen a place with such successful auto-glass franchises!

-dave
Nautamaran is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nautamaran For This Useful Post:
Patrick of M (04-25-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 06:20 PM   #26
Theodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
I picked up the replacement parts today. The replacement is plasitic, probably nylon. At 7 bucks each I'd just replace them with some generic fuel "Y" fitting. The Dodge label was stuck over the MB label. I read the MB number through the label so now we have both part numbers.

Attachment 43095

1/4" 3 way fitting.
I realize I'm late to the party, but this part starting gushing fuel (Hole.jpg) last week on my T1N and I found this post. Ordered Dodge # 05133920AA. It showed up today, so I pulled the original damaged part (OldRusty.jpg) and was disappointed to discover that it's not going to fit. The replacement is a 1/4" fitting, but the original is 3/8" if not larger (DiameterDifference.jpg). There also very different in shape (ShapeDifference.jpg). The replacement is definitely not flexible enough to accommodate the difference in angle.
I thought you'd like to see this so you don't count on a part that's going to leave you stranded when the original gives up.
The question is: where do we get an actual replacement part? I waited 9 days for this worthless thing.
Automatic
127,000 miles

Last edited by Theodore; 10-30-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Theodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:39 PM   #27
Midwestdrifter

Default Re: Fuel Tank Coil Rusty Wye Fittings

What you are looking for is a 45 degree tee fitting. Match the barb size to your hose. Unfortunately I did not have any luck finding one with a few google searches.

If you have some space, run the hose out a few inches from the tank and use a regular tee fitting?

Millionmilesprinter sells used parts, you might see if he has this fitting available?
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
Theodore (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #28
Theodore

Hey! I've looked as well with no luck. If I can't find out where to get a new replacement by tomorrow, I'll look for used. Unfortunately, there's no room between the fittings and the hard lines they connect to so a regular T fitting would be a challenge but I'll have to do that if I can't source a decent replacement.
Thanks for your response!
Automatic
127,000 miles
Theodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:04 PM   #29
Midwestdrifter

If you are able to braze, you could likely repair the pinholes that way.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #30
Midwestdrifter

That plastic tee may bend okay if you can heat it up to around 300F. I would put a piece of thick wire or tube down the middle to keep it from collapsing or kinking when bending it.