Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Write-Ups

NCV3 Write-Ups Help other NCV3 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:27 PM   #21
Gerry O

Default Re: Sound 5 - Connect to Aux in!

Does anyone know if these kits will work on the Sound 20 system. It would be realy nice to have an Ipod hook-up.
Gerry O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #22
anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry O View Post
Does anyone know if these kits will work on the Sound 20 system. It would be realy nice to have an Ipod hook-up.
So, since I don't have the Sound 20, I can't say for sure. The first thing I'd do is check the manual for the Sound 20 to see if it has a documented setting for AUX in.

If it does, I'd take the dash apart (pretty easy) then pull the unit out and look at the back. My gut tells me that it will not have a headphone jack or RCA-type input. Most likely it will simply have the A, B, and C block ISO interface.

If it is ISO, I'd try to use the exact same C block pins used for the Sound 5.

Alternatively, you could reach out to the Becker people in NJ and see if they know whether the Sound 20 works with the Aux in kits they sell.

Of course, for me it's more fun to take the thing apart and figure it out. It's up to you.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #23
Gerry O

Thanks Anomaly, I did contact Becker and they asked for the model #. I've looked thru the radio book and checked out the dash and can't seem to find a model #.

Reading the book further on page 11, it says an optional dealer installed "cinch-connection" may become available. So I guess I should contact a dealer and see what they have?
Gerry O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:59 AM   #24
anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry O View Post
Thanks Anomaly, I did contact Becker and they asked for the model #. I've looked thru the radio book and checked out the dash and can't seem to find a model #.

Reading the book further on page 11, it says an optional dealer installed "cinch-connection" may become available. So I guess I should contact a dealer and see what they have?
That seems odd. I would expect that "Sound 20" would be sufficient. My model # is BE 7077, seen in the upper left side of the white label on the side of my stereo. Is there a label like that on your stereo?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:38 AM   #25
rjbub

Thank you Anomoly for the excellent instructions on setting up an ipod connection to the stereo 5.. I just purchased a Sprinter 2007 sportmobile conversion and am very interested in having the ability to power and play my ipod or my portable satellite radio. I am still a bit confused... to hook up an ipod and have it powered to the Aux you need both the becker harness product and the installer.com product ( PXP01) or will the installer.com product work alone?

Thank you.

Rjbub
rjbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #26
anomaly

Default re: Do I *have* to buy the kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbub View Post
Thank you Anomoly for the excellent instructions on setting up an ipod connection to the stereo 5.. I just purchased a Sprinter 2007 sportmobile conversion and am very interested in having the ability to power and play my ipod or my portable satellite radio. I am still a bit confused... to hook up an ipod and have it powered to the Aux you need both the becker harness product and the installer.com product ( PXP01) or will the installer.com product work alone?
Congratulations on joining the Sprinter family!

Technically you don't need any special adapters. You only need a way to run three wires from the headphone jack of your iPod to the three pins on the C block of the stereo. You could do this by cutting the wire from a set of headphones, and heat-shrinking or soldering the connections to the stereo. For power, you could plug in an iPod power adapter to a 12V power point or to the cigarette lighter and have a wire going in the bottom to power the iPod and one coming out the top for the audio.

Practically, it's simpler to use the kits.
a) The kit from Becker converts from "raw" pins on the C block to RCA-style female jacks.
b) The kit from installer.com has RCA male jacks for the audio signal, and has a power hookup on the end that stays inside the dash, and on the other end provides a dock connector. This allows you to charge the iPod while listening to it, and is a more durable connection than the headphone jack.
For me, it's less clumsy and more convenient to have a cable connected to the bottom of my iPod while I'm picking music or podcasts than it would be to have the headphone jack sticking out of the top.

If you wanted to save $15, you could skip the Becker kit, cut off the RCA jacks from the installer.com kit and wire directly to the C block on the stereo. I was too lazy to do that, plus I like the more professional look of using the right parts to make the connection (even though no one will ever see it except you guys.)

If you wanted to save more money, installer.com has a different iPod adapter with power but without the video hookup. If I recall correctly, that one was about $30.

I don't know anything about your potable satellite radio, but I assume it has a standard headphone jack.

For maximum flexibility, you could connect the installer.com adapter for the iPod and also connect a standard headphone cable to the *same pins* on the back of the stereo. This way you could either use a headphone jack for your audio *or* you could use your iPod. There are a *ton* of ways to get fancy with that by using adapters and switches, but there's nothing stopping you from going "low tech" and simply connecting both cables to the same pins on the back of the head unit. If you wanted to do this with kits and plugs, you would buy the installer.com adapter, buy the other cable I listed in one of my first posts on this topic, buy the Becker adapter, and finally buy two of these.

Neither the iPod nor a standard headphone jack has enough power output to damage a the aux input on its own, not even if you accidentally hooked both of them up *and* they were both at full volume.

Make sense?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 AM   #27
rjbub

Thank you again Anomaly for your kind help and explanation.

If you forgive my bad artwork, perhaps you could review the sketch so I can finally get the concept correct and I wont obsess or bother anybody about this further.

You suggest I can get the basic Becker kit to allow easy connection to the pins on the back of Radio 5. This will allow you to have 2 RCA cords available so that the installer.com product ( see picture below)
can plug into the receptacles. I dont know where you would get the power for the ipod... I assume it is the red wire, but since I have not taken apart my dash, where does the presumably power red wire tap into.?

In addition I would like to also have a male jack installed into the radio plugs of the Becker kit so I can run additional inputs like a XM portable satellite radio which has a plug like the ipod headphone . The satellite radio would get its power from a cigarette adapter in the dash. Is there enough space in the Becker kit to allow another couple of wires piggybacking onto the ipod connection.?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1766.jpg (76.4 KB, 1392 views)
File Type: jpg aip-rca.jpg (77.1 KB, 1071 views)
Old 02-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #28
anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbub View Post
Thank you again Anomaly for your kind help and explanation.

If you forgive my bad artwork, perhaps you could review the sketch so I can finally get the concept correct and I wont obsess or bother anybody about this further.

You suggest I can get the basic Becker kit to allow easy connection to the pins on the back of Radio 5. This will allow you to have 2 RCA cords available so that the installer.com product ( see picture below)
can plug into the receptacles. I dont know where you would get the power for the ipod... I assume it is the red wire, but since I have not taken apart my dash, where does the presumably power red wire tap into.?

In addition I would like to also have a male jack installed into the radio plugs of the Becker kit so I can run additional inputs like a XM portable satellite radio which has a plug like the ipod headphone . The satellite radio would get its power from a cigarette adapter in the dash. Is there enough space in the Becker kit to allow another couple of wires piggybacking onto the ipod connection.?

Thank you.
You're on the right track. You've got some room to splice into the wires behind where they connect to the blue adapter plug. I'd splice them in, then attach the wires to the blue plug.

As far as the red wire (iPod power) is concerned, I spliced into the cigarette lighter to get to switched power. The wiring for the cigarette lighter was a PAIN to get to. I *had* to have it for switched power for the bluetooth kit I installed. Since I already had done the hard work of splicing the wire for the bluetooth kit, I used the same line for the iPod kit.

If you're fine with constant power (at the risk of running down the battery) A4 has constant power. See my wiring diagram for more info.

I also note that "ExpertMarine" used a kit with a dash-mounted headphone female connector if you like that look.

It's up to you. Hope you have a great time with this project.

Anomaly
Old 02-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #29
j4d4g4

I have a 2008 sprinter -- sound 20 radio system with optional changer. I called becker for simular questions, and they told me that my radio is an alpine -- or atleast it wasn't a becker. My head unit has a function where you can hit the "cdc" button twice, and it tells you that the aux input is "active". does anyone know what that means? is the use of the changer using the aux input? or do I have another aux? The radio manual is vague at best.

More importantly, This head unit has features to wire a telephone to it for handsfree use -- not uconnect--and not bluetooth. Dodge can't help me figure out what else I need to do to get this function operable. in fact, they called headquaters, and they want me to bring the van in to get photos of the unit and steering wheel functions just to an idea of what i'm trying to accomplish. does anyone know anything about this head unit?
j4d4g4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:05 AM   #30
rjbub

Here is a follow up on trying to hook up a ipod charger/player to the radio 5. I used the installer.com product that would allow you to charge and play back from an ipod and I also spliced a 3.5 mm jack to the pins on the back of the Radio 5 as outlined so nicely by Tom in previous posts. I did not use the Becker kit but had some tight connections directly to the pins with soldered wire connectors. I also spliced into the power cord A4 on the back of the radio to power the IPOD.

Unfortunately the ipod and the satellite radio when playing back through the AUX mode have a very very low volume. I have to crank up the radio to hear the music of the ipod or the satellite so much that there is a audible whine in the speakers. When I turn it back to the FM radio, the sound is very loud then.

Also, the installer.com product that is supposed to charge the ipod while also playing does not charge even thought hooked up to power and ground.

Any ideas why the volume is so low with the Aux input.

I am quite disappointed with the cheapness of Mercedes putting in a radio that has no jack for ipods or aux.. I mean how many years have ipods been out?... at least 6 and they still have a neanderthal standard radio that makes all of us spend hours trying to hack it for a decent Aux in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1802.jpg (80.6 KB, 1036 views)
File Type: jpg ipod charger.jpg (77.1 KB, 1021 views)