Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Miscellaneous > Comments, Suggestions, & Problems with the Forum

Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
Diamondsea

Default Re: WARNING: Upgrade Coming!

Why not wait until the 4.0 is proven and then go directly with that? If we are going to have a messy situation either way perhaps waiting for 4.0 will mean that we can go a longer time before a following upgrade. Obviously it's your decision as you are THE MAN!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #12
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,753 Times in 8,739 Posts

Just figured I'd throw in a post to thank Seek also. You've done are doing a great job.

Sikwan,
Go the direction you feel the most comfortable with. You're the one that will really need to deal with any issues. The rest of us are just addicted users. As with any addiction, we'll figure out how to make it work for us even if it takes 12 steps and 28 days. vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #13
Oldfartt

Sikwan,
Thank you for your extensive effort in operating this forum. I have been educated greatly by the members and the information which is currently the combined knowledge of it's members. It would be a shame to lose any of the data. Do you have an idea where the losses may be?
The decision to upgrade is really yours to ultimately decide. It will mean a considerable amount of effort on your part. I am not in an informed position to comment one way or the other and rely on those who do know to make the best choice for the forum. What ever happens you have my support.

Cheers
Ross
Oldfartt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
aljimenez
'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3

Here's a suggestion, which I do in a web application that I have for a MYSQL database for a philanthropic organization. Whenever I upgrade or make a change, I do it on a different folder or web-address that has access to the database. For example instead of www.sprinte-source.com/forum make it www.sprinter-forum.com/forum/new this will be your new forum where you create a new user so you can verify that it works before you move everything to the main forum. This should reduce the down time... Al

Edit: I forgot to join the chorus of praising your stewardship of this forum. This is a regular stop over for me thanks to your well run place.

Last edited by aljimenez; 10-26-2010 at 01:57 AM.
aljimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aljimenez For This Useful Post:
slem (10-29-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 01:39 AM   #15
jdcaples
Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
As with any addiction, we'll figure out how to make it work for us even if it takes 12 steps and 28 days. vic
I can quit any time I want. It's not a problem. I only miss 3 or 4 days of work per week to read, research and post on Sprinter-Source. I don't work on the weekends, so those are free Sprinter-Source days that don't count.

People who don't own a Sprinter don't understand, but hey! I can quit any time.

See. I left the keyboard and didn't come back.

Look. I did it again.

Addicts. Hmph. Next you'll be accusing me of being addicted to Air, Water and Food.

I can quit any time. I just don't feel like it right now. Besides, Richard hasn't posted in what? 15 minutes? Where is he? Is he ok?

Richard!

US Tech info: http://www.sprintertekinfo.com
US Parts info: http://epc.startekinfo.com (Subscribe to world passenger car and light transport)

Americans may learn to use MB technical resources and parts information here:
http://www.sprintertekinfo.com/epcdemo/start.swf
jdcaples is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdcaples For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (10-27-2010)
Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 AM   #16
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcaples View Post
I can quit any time I want. It's not a problem. I only miss 3 or 4 days of work per week to read, research and post on Sprinter-Source. I don't work on the weekends, so those are free Sprinter-Source days that don't count.

People who don't own a Sprinter don't understand, but hey! I can quit any time.

See. I left the keyboard and didn't come back.

Look. I did it again.

Addicts. Hmph. Next you'll be accusing me of being addicted to Air, Water and Food.

I can quit any time. I just don't feel like it right now. Besides, Richard hasn't posted in what? 15 minutes? Where is he? Is he ok?

Richard!
I did say off line I'm away for a few weeks, batteries run low. energy saving.
But sometimes I just honesty prefer to sit back and watch how a thread evolves, into a melt down.
Addicted you bet I am and Jon, by the way that mysterious axle 4.183 ratio on an auto now has validation.
But that one can wait.
PS Seek do what you feel is the right thing to do . It's your call.
If any thing is lost as in data we can always rebuild and fill in the gaps.
Richard

Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #17
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,814 Times in 834 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input.

Looks like it would be best to go to 4.0+. The transition will have to go to 3.8 then to 4.0. If we wait, it'll probably be harder to go from 3.8 to 4.0.

Things like SprinterBox (shoutbox), Reply-to-All in Private Message, will not automatically port over to 3.8 or 4.0. Google search will have to be added to the pulldown menu. Ignoring specific forums is another that will not automatically or easily port over.

I think the most important thing or the goal is to move over all the data to the new version and have a functioning forum and then worry about incrementally adding back the features.

I'm shooting for the Christmas / New Years Holidays. I think everyone should be on some trip and not visiting the forum. The work will be start around 11:00pm PST and should not last more than a day (24hrs).

If you have those favorite write-ups, I recommend that you download or save them just in case. There shouldn't be any problems as I'll be doing multiple data backups and compares.
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #18
Altered Sprinter
Happy Little Vegemite

Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,862 Posts

Said who's not about Do what's best for the forum, and I'm keeping track of my posts too 10thou is near.
Richard
No Shalam - No Shalom
Now lets take back the - Sprinter-Forum.

Of course I'm being totally biased.
Driving my life Away in a 313 Cdi Mercedes-Sprinter

Altered Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #19
LuckyDawgz Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwan View Post

I'm shooting for the Christmas / New Years Holidays. I think everyone should be on some trip and not visiting the forum. The work will be start around 11:00pm PST and should not last more than a day (24hrs).
I'll be "working"... well at least at work (we have no customer DR tests scheduled) and online 12/20 right thru 01/02... so if I can be of any assistance to you let me know.

jim

RV Conversion... Known as the "T1N TeePee" or "White Whale"

LuckyDawgz Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:15 PM   #20
Chandlerazman

Seek, we all appreciate your time in this. In the end, as an administrator, you do what is best. My other forum addiction is the TR6 site (6pack.org). The 6pack site gets upgraded about every two years. The administrator there is Alan if it helps you to ask any questions as to what when and how he does his magic there.

My wife gets annoyed when I am on either forum instead of working on getting the invoices out. Oh well, a man has got to have priorities Although I don't post as much as it seems, I spend at least 2-3 hours a day here!
Chandlerazman is offline   Reply With Quote