Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
bkmdno25

Default Anyone hear of a CCV filter?

A friend of mine hooked me up with a filter dealer and gave me a pretty good deal on prices. While we were talking he was telling me about a ccv(crank case ventilation) filter. He said that the engine air that is usually expelled is sent back into the turbo, but that oil from the crankcase gets in the hose and can get into the turbo causing you to lose power and eventually ruining the turbo. So, the CCV filter is supposed to be fitted inline and filter out any oil, and send it back to the crankcase. He told me that it would be 215 dollars, and mention ups and other delivery companies purchase these for every sprinter. I am wondering if you guys have heard of this or if there is a cheaper place to get one.
bkmdno25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkmdno25 For This Useful Post:
maxzoom (07-14-2011)
Old 12-12-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
abittenbinder
Doktor A (864-623-9110)

Thanked 2,680 Times in 792 Posts
Default Re: Anyone hear of a CCV filter?

612 and 647 Sprinter engines have crankcase ventilation systems with vapor separator devices that return excess oil to the crankcase and they appear to be effective.

The 612 separator is a compact, fairly simple device with a small internal filter and tortuous paths to condense and remove excess oil. Ironically, the 612 design relies on remaining oil vapor to lube the EGR valve's valve guide.

The 647 has a very complex evolution of this design with multiple filters and condensation chambers. It is physically much larger than the early design and resembles a model train diesel freight locomotive. It's filter elements are somewhat accessible but are not available as replacement parts alone. The entire separator is not inexpensive but I have not seen many needing replacement even at high mileage UNLESS they are physically broken at the vulnerable outlet fitting which exits on passenger side of the plastic engine cover.

Both designs duct the treated vapor upstream of the turbo's compressor inlet. There is even a inline electric heating device to prevent obstruction during frigid weather (lots of water vapor present).

I am aware of certain diesel automobile models that benefit from a device similar to the one you mention. They suffer from severe clogging of intake manifold, excess oil collection in intercooler, etc. The Sprinter appears to be free of this curse. Doktor A

Last edited by abittenbinder; 12-12-2008 at 03:31 AM.
abittenbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abittenbinder For This Useful Post:
DesertAdventures (01-18-2018), maxzoom (07-14-2011), seans (05-29-2013)
Old 08-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
Shortiez

Dodge's engineer is telling the dealer that I need a new "crank case heater vent valve".

This occurred very shortly after my T21 Recall service. The back story is that I got the T21 done, car smogged, and to the DMV right before the CEL came on saying that the MAF wasn't in range. This was in the space of about 2 miles. Passed legislative hurdles as it was I replaced the MAF myself thinking nothing of it, but that that didn't turn off the CEL, so it dawned on me to talk to Dodge. They took the van back, talked to the engineer presumably at Dodge and then replaced the computer. CEL went off I picked up the van and drove it home 3 miles where the CEL came on again. This time saying "generic O2 sensor out of range" or something. I cleared the code, it came on again, so I blew out the O2 sensor connector with some air and cleared the code again. Although I doubt a dirty connector was actually the problem, the CEL didn't come on again until about 200 miles later, for the same thing "generic O2 sensor out of range". This whole time I'm thinking what does a diesel engine need an O2 sensor for anyway? (I've since found out - controlled rich burns to clean soot out of the cat, maybe other things too)

Drove home the next day another 200 miles with the CEL on. Next day I noticed a strong sulfur smell with the windows down and started to get worried.

Called Dodge again, they took it back and that's where I am now. They are saying it may or may not be covered under the recall. If it's not then it's a $90 part and $500 labor.
I've never had someone else wrench on one of my vehicles, so if it's not going to be covered under the recall I'd like to order the part, but I can't find the part online.

Questions:
What part is this "crankcase heater vent valve"? Does anyone have a part number?
Does this sound like a plausible culprit for a sulfur smell and O2 sensor code?
Shortiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:13 AM   #4
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,836 Times in 5,716 Posts

Dodge: 05117289AA , MB# A 646 016 00 30 --- TUBE, CRANKCASE VENT VALVE

Item 13 in this drawing:

CrankVentValve.png

--dick
(it also shows up in Fig HO-905 (crankcase ventilation)
drawing from: http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference
I'm using the 2006 catalog ... i'm sure it's the same 2004-2006
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,753 Times in 8,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortiez View Post

This occurred very shortly after my T21 Recall service. The back story is that I got the T21 done, car smogged, and to the DMV right before the CEL came on saying that the MAF wasn't in range. This was in the space of about 2 miles. ...
Off topic.

You don't mention model year. 2006?

Your comment sounds like the T21 Emissions Monitoring correction worked and kicked in after the recall. They were supposed to scan for DTC's before doing the T21 recall procedure to identify any existing issues. Do you know if that procedure was properly followed?

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
doug022984
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortiez View Post
If it's not then it's a $90 part and $500 labor.
I've never had someone else wrench on one of my vehicles, so if it's not going to be covered under the recall I'd like to order the part, but I can't find the part online.
Good thing you wrench on your own vehicles because based on the part Dick showed, $500 labor is highway robbery. That valve is inline with the rubber hose that runs from the engine cover to the intake hose between the airbox and turbo. The only real "disassembly" involved is removing the turbo heat shield, which is three bolts, and then pulling off the rubber hose and electrical connection for the valve. The hose is just push in fit too... not even hose clamps. A blind Orangutan could do that in 15 mins. A competent mechanic even less.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,836 Times in 5,716 Posts

To be (slightly) kind, the $500 labor probably includes the diagnostic time to track down the probable failure.

--dick
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote