Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 08-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #21
rollerbearing

Default Re: EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter-any experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2019 View Post
Please provide more info on the $30 capacitor. How would that replace the capability of the easy start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBB View Post
Reduced noise due to some sort of ramping of power to soften the step of the compressor is one thing, but claiming run-time noise would change at all is ridiculous. What exactly are you claiming - other than the placebo of feeling good about spending a bunch of time and money on something you could have done with a $30 capacitor?

Yes, NBB, Please let's see a parts list and schematic. No voodoo hack job either - I'd like to see it in your full engineeering glory (stamp it if ya got it). And, I'd like to see it generalized for multiple AC units and skill level of installers. Please.
rollerbearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #22
stormpeakco
'19 M-B/'19 LTV U-TB

Hum, perhaps we (or some...others may just notice a significant difference-not identical to placebo medications) may need to obtain a small sample size of pre and post-install decibel meter measurements....for me as the O.P., it sounds (pun intended) like it may be worth it, should the soft start reduce short cycles, # of cycles and/or the intensity of start up cycles...wonder if is there may be data RE: extending compressor longevity.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #23
Gamma1966
2013 Chassis /14 Unity MB

Arrow Re: EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter-any experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV2019 View Post
So what prep work did you do on the AC shroud before painting and what paint did you use?
I took the cover to a local auto paint shop and had them paint same white color as on the fenders of the 2014 Unity MB RV. No prep work on the underside of the cover.
Gamma1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #24
NBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerbearing View Post
Yes, NBB, Please let's see a parts list and schematic. No voodoo hack job either - I'd like to see it in your full engineeering glory (stamp it if ya got it). And, I'd like to see it generalized for multiple AC units and skill level of installers. Please.
lol.

Google "start capacitor rv air conditioner"

I was wrong - looks like kits starting at about $12, not $30.

I see Youtube videos, schematics, pages and pages of pictures and testimonials, etc.

EDIT - this seems like a reasonably well worded place to get started: http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/05/27/rv...tart-capacitor

EDIT++ - as for the schematic for YOUR air conditioner, it's almost certainly a "DNS" or Do Not Stuff item on your own AC. A place to start is to look at your own replacement parts list and schematic. Caps cost money - so if they don't really need it, the OEM leaves it up to the installer. It's just a cap, the size is not critical. As long as it's rated for general use in the application, variation from unit-unit isn't critical - not at all.

Last edited by NBB; 08-08-2019 at 09:24 PM.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:39 PM   #25
rollerbearing

Awww - I wanted to see YOUR work. I have to say I'm disappointed I didn't.

Nevertheless, so much nicer to see this useful contribution vs what you fired off earlier.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #26
NBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerbearing View Post
Awww - I wanted to see YOUR work.
I have one of the highest rated and viewed build threads on this forum - posted long before you got here.
NBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 PM   #27
rollerbearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBB View Post
I have one of the highest rated and viewed build threads on this forum - posted long before you got here.
Yes, nice work! - and helpful to many I am sure.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #28
DiverBob
2018 Unity TB

I can attest that the startup noise for the compressor is reduced significantly. Run time noise is the same but its the fan and air flow that makes most of the noise at that point. I have a 2K Victron inverter that handles the reduced starting current levels very well so for us the addition of the soft start is worth the extra we paid for it.