Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #1
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,771 Times in 8,748 Posts
Default Under Cups Storage

Under Cups Storage

There is a surprising amount of space under the NAS aka NAFTA center console cup holders. It is enough space that I fell it is worth the trouble to set up easy access. If the original fastening screws are left in service it can be a somewhat secure storage area. Even with an alternate fastening method it isn't that obvious.

Remove the 2 ea. Torx screws from the bottom of the cup holders. The top will then lift up and out. The edge of the cup holders may interfere a bit, but it comes right up.

Your truck will have a gray duct tube. That heat duct is pretty much useless unless you have the Euro front double passenger seating. I blocked my duct outlet with a plastic plug to keep the heat outlet from warming my between the seats travel cooler.
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...8488#post38488

If you decide to give up the heat duct the space opens up considerably. It will look like this.

CupHolder001OpenSpaceCuts.jpg

Even more space can be created by removing the now useless plastic.

I cut the lower section mostly loose using a multi-tool and broke that piece out using a brake adjuster tool as a pry bar. I removed 3 ea. screws from under the cup holder area and then levered the now loose upper plastic assembly out.

From there I used a hacksaw to cut the cup support strip free. Re-installing the hacksaw strip allows the use of the OEM fasteners at the bottoms of the cup holders.

CupHolder004OpenSpaceCuts.jpg

I decided to leave the OEM fasteners out. A Velcro strap now secures my cup holder assembly.

CupHolder009OpenSpaceCuts.jpg

The open space.

CupHolder005OpenSpaceCuts.jpg

For reference this is a 3/8" drive rachet handle in the space. I feel that it was worth the hour that I took to do the job.

CupHolder006OpenSpaceCuts.jpg

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 06-18-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Garandman (06-18-2019), SneakyAnarchistVanCamper (05-13-2018), trc.rhubarb (05-16-2018)
Old 06-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,771 Times in 8,748 Posts
Default Re: Under Cups Storage

Update.

The Velcro fastening has worked great for over a year now.

The real reason for this update.

If your plastic looks as bad as mine does in the pictures above, Garandman has some good tips for cleaning.

Cleaning dash?
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...219#post778219

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote