Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #21
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,169 Posts
Default Re: Viscous Fan Clutch Replacment

Quote:
Originally Posted by autostaretx View Post
The original fan looks slightly asymmetric ... the blades don't appear to be spaced evenly.
(but it could simply be the slight angle of the photo)

I wonder if that's to avoid setting up some resonances?

--dick
Yes!

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:20 PM   #22
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,472 Times in 4,094 Posts

There in undoubtedly a speed where the fan blades start to resonate due to shed vortices. Given the large rpm range the fan operates over, its impossible to tune the blade length and chord width to eliminate all the possible vibration modes. To avoid fatigue failure the resonant frequencies need to be canceled at least to the 1st order. This also makes the fan quieter. One method to accomplish this is by have a decreasing blade spacing in several successive blades (2-3 groups usually). As it is still symmetric, the balance is not affected. The different spacing means the shed vortices impact the trailing blades at slightly different rates preventing them from stacking from one blade to the next.

For fixed speed or narrow speed fans this is less of an issue. blowers or fans where both ends of the blade are supported have less of an issue with this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (06-05-2019), KarinaK (08-09-2019), rollerbearing (06-04-2019), sikwan (06-27-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:18 AM   #23
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
There in undoubtedly a speed where the fan blades start to resonate due to shed vortices. Given the large rpm range the fan operates over, its impossible to tune the blade length and chord width to eliminate all the possible vibration modes. To avoid fatigue failure the resonant frequencies need to be canceled at least to the 1st order. This also makes the fan quieter. One method to accomplish this is by have a decreasing blade spacing in several successive blades (2-3 groups usually). As it is still symmetric, the balance is not affected. The different spacing means the shed vortices impact the trailing blades at slightly different rates preventing them from stacking from one blade to the next.

For fixed speed or narrow speed fans this is less of an issue. blowers or fans where both ends of the blade are supported have less of an issue with this.
That can clearly be seen on both fans. The older blade has 7 blades, spaced differently. The new fan has 9, also spaced differently. I don't see a clear line of symmetry, but I would guess they are arranged such that the balance is not affected. The new fan is less noisy than the old, but it also may be that the clutch is not fully engaging. Coolant temps with the old hovered around 180-190. With the new, they are in the 190-200 range.

Regards,

Mark
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #24
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,771 Times in 8,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklg View Post
... The new fan is less noisy than the old, but it also may be that the clutch is not fully engaging. Coolant temps with the old hovered around 180-190. With the new, they are in the 190-200 range.

Regards,

Mark
I was surprised when the operating temperatures on the 2004 actually increased a bit with the new clutch. The new clutch roars more upon a morning cold start than did the replaced clutch. (Viscous fluid pools overnight.)

My typical low temperature rose, the high peaks came down after the new clutch. My theory for the unexpected slight rise in lower operating temperature is that my 2004 clutch was stuck in some mid range operating condition. It never locked up completely or disengaged, but did kinda work in a limited range. When the engine is hot the thermostat opens completely. It takes a bit of a temperature drop for it to cycle back. At that time it is the fan speed which becomes an important factor for trimming the temperatures to design, not the thermostat. With the 2004 fan never properly disengaging the engine was being supercooled at times.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #25
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
I was surprised when the operating temperatures on the 2004 actually increased a bit with the new clutch. The new clutch roars more upon a morning cold start than did the replaced clutch. (Viscous fluid pools overnight.)

My typical low temperature rose, the high peaks came down after the new clutch. My theory for the unexpected slight rise in lower operating temperature is that my 2004 clutch was stuck in some mid range operating condition. It never locked up completely or disengaged, but did kinda work in a limited range. When the engine is hot the thermostat opens completely. It takes a bit of a temperature drop for it to cycle back. At that time it is the fan speed which becomes an important factor for trimming the temperatures to design, not the thermostat. With the 2004 fan never properly disengaging the engine was being supercooled at times.

vic
The knockoff clutch failed in the middle of nowhere, in the desert, driving along when suddenly the engine noise increased to a roar. I guess it was a good thing it failed completely on. The rise in temperature after replacement was as expected. We will have to see what the temp gets to climbing hills at high ambient temperature.

The first clutch, before the knockoff, had failed off, so the electric fan was running all the time, and the temp rose drastically on hills. So, at least I have data points for fully off, fully on, and normal operation.

Regards,

Mark
Old 06-08-2019, 11:35 PM   #26
marklg

With a new, good Febi Bilstein fan and clutch in my 2006 T1N, with ambient temperatures between 71 and 98 F, varying speeds, uphill and down, I saw a range of coolant temperatures between 185 and 223 F. Average is about 200F.

Regards,

Mark
Old 06-16-2019, 06:21 AM   #27
Nautamaran
2004 140Ē SHC U.S. T1N

Thanked 1,523 Times in 1,060 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklg View Post
With a new, good Febi Bilstein fan and clutch in my 2006 T1N, with ambient temperatures between 71 and 98 F, varying speeds, uphill and down, I saw a range of coolant temperatures between 185 and 223 F. Average is about 200F.

Regards,

Mark
This is about what I saw too, driving Calgary to Vancouver in late May.

Peak temp reached 225F on the long climbs, with atf sump at 240F and oil temperature reaching around 280F. Coolant recovered first, the atf, then engine oil. Ambient temp was mid-70ís.
Iíve read that some have instrumented the exhaust manifold to measure Exhaust Gas Temp, and after watching my oil temp spike up I can understand why, but thatís for another thread.

-dave
Nautamaran is offline   Reply With Quote