Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #21
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,771 Times in 8,748 Posts
Default Re: p0336 - Replacing Crankshaft Sensor Removal / Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon7 View Post

If the moderators do not remove my comments due to my creative use of language, I may add more of these in the future. ...
No need to threaten. This forum is fairly accepting. Post if you wish. Really salty language and opinions belong in the Danger Zone.

My wife once asked our children how one of my vehicle repairs was going. My daughter quipped, "It must be going pretty well. The whores and bastards haven't showed up to help yet."

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #22
Burza

Ive read in other threads of someone drilling their sensor out. They must have used some type of right angle drill as my conventional drill wont fit from the top or from the inside. ( I have moved the transmission out of the way).

On another note, my non OE sensor seems to have a larger diameter casing. Has anyone used a non OE sensor with success? I know it supposed to be a tight fit. This is just way too tight. Going to do some sanding out of the hole as well as the sensor casing.

This is a lot of effort for a $25 part.
Burza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #23
Cheyenne
UK 2004 T1N 313CDi

Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burza View Post

On another note, my non OE sensor seems to have a larger diameter casing. Has anyone used a non OE sensor with success? I know it supposed to be a tight fit. This is just way too tight. Going to do some sanding out of the hole as well as the sensor casing.

This is a lot of effort for a $25 part.
General consensus of opinion on here is NOT to use a cheap aftermarket sensor, it will come back to haunt you.

Get a genuine MB sensor which should fit the hole without any modification and be done with it.

PS If you enlarge the hole to fit the aftermarket sensor then it fails how will you fit a genuine sensor afterwards?

Keith.

Sprinter reference info site http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/

Last edited by Cheyenne; 08-06-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Cheyenne is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheyenne For This Useful Post:
long1pham (08-16-2019), vanski (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #24
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

OR OEM ie Bosch. Doesn't have to have the star on it or come in a MBZ box, just needs to be from the original supplier. Here are the MBZ, Mopar, and Bosch part numbers - A 003 153 28 28 (MBZ) , 05080352AA (Mopar) , 0 261 210 170 (Bosch). Amazing the price differences when you steer away from MBZ or Mopar and just go with Bosch.
vanski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vanski For This Useful Post:
Burza (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #25
Burza

Question Re: p0336 - Replacing Crankshaft Sensor Removal / Replacement

I am attaching two pictures. Not quite sure how to get them to show up in the message. One is of the OEM part I bought today from MB dealer for $168. The other is a part i got at a parts shop for $25. They are both the same exact size. THE SAME SIZE.

If I cannot be my AM part to fit, then how am I going to get my OEM part to fit?

WHATS going on here?? I did remove the old sensor in pieces. I did remove something which looked like the old casing. Could there still be some remaining parts of the old casing still in there? It feels just like smooth steel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5921.jpg (84.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5922.jpg (83.6 KB, 75 views)
Burza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #26
vanski
'05 Box Snow Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burza View Post
I am attaching two pictures. Not quite sure how to get them to show up in the message. One is of the OEM part I bought today from MB dealer for $168. The other is a part i got at a parts shop for $25. They are both the same exact size. THE SAME SIZE.

If I cannot be my AM part to fit, then how am I going to get my OEM part to fit?

WHATS going on here?? I did remove the old sensor in pieces. I did remove something which looked like the old casing. Could there still be some remaining parts of the old casing still in there? It feels just like smooth steel.
Burza: Hopefully you already resolved this... did you find anything in there? Seems like part of the plastic must have been seized inside.
vanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 07:31 PM   #27
drew502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanski View Post
2004 2500 om647 - received code p0336, symptoms were stalling out at stop signs/lights and then eventually not starting once the vehicle sat over night.

I thought I'd add my 'learning experience' notes from changing out my crankshaft sensor for those who are a 5/10 on the mechanical scale like me.. Maybe a 6/10 :)
Attachment 86869

1. Removing the sensor from the plug can be tricky... The clip is on the opposite side of the bolt, plug side. There's a tab on the plug which is pretty much at the top, opposite side of the bolt on the plug. Press that puppy in and then push the sensor plug out and it will pop right off.
2. Having a 'baby' 1/4" socket wrench is critical with about a 3" extension to a 1/4" socket. I struggled for probably 15 minutes with a larger socket wrench which just wouldn't fit in the small area you have to remove the bolt before I bit the bullet and went to a hardware store to get the 'baby' wrench. Once I had that it was a matter of seconds to remove it.

Vehicle started right up after replacing.. FYI - I asked Mercedes what it would cost for them to JUST CHANGE THE CRANKSHAFT SENSOR and they said in the $500 to $750 range.

Is there any need to disconnect the negative battery terminal prior to replacing the crankshaft sensor?
drew502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:08 PM   #28
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,771 Times in 8,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew502 View Post
Is there any need to disconnect the negative battery terminal prior to replacing the crankshaft sensor?
It probably isn't really necessary, but many service manuals recommend isolating the battery when changing sensors. There is no power to that sensor when the ignition key is in the off position.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
drew502 (06-09-2019)