Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #11
skwoodwiva

Default Re: Fast idle linkage finished.

I got a spare throttle pedal.
It may be working better than the 170K original. There seems to be better control after 2 days.

Also does anyone know if 2 pedals could be wired is parallel? The up idle one being tapped in only to boost speed when parked. It could be mounted for convenience.
skwoodwiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #12
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,760 Times in 8,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwoodwiva View Post

Also does anyone know if 2 pedals could be wired is parallel? The up idle one being tapped in only to boost speed when parked. It could be mounted for convenience.
I know that paralleling the 2 directly will not work. The ECM will be very unhappy with that.

My belief is that even if it is possible to have 2 ea. throttle controls a method similar to Cruise Control would be the route to design. That said, before going to all of that trouble just install and program the optional OEM high idle.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (06-09-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:55 PM   #13
skwoodwiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
I know that paralleling the 2 directly will not work. The ECM will be very unhappy with that.

My belief is that even if it is possible to have 2 ea. throttle controls a method similar to Cruise Control would be the route to design. That said, before going to all of that trouble just install and program the optional OEM high idle.

vic
Is it available for a tin w/ CC installed?

I cannot find it.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #14
autostaretx
Erratic Member

Thanked 7,840 Times in 5,719 Posts

You could conceivably wire either a 2nd pedal sensor assembly, or even a pair of ganged linear-taper potentiometers to serve as a "high idle" gadget.

Separate the two with at least a double-pole double-throw switch flipping the two "signal" wires from the floor pedal to the "fast idle pedal". Even better would be a 4-pole switch to move the grounds, too.

If you do choose to use potentiometers (a knob on the dash?), then check with an ohmmeter on the original sensor unit to see what value that "series resistor" they have in the wiper's schematic might be, and provide one ... it's probably what lets them detect "short to ground" and "short to +5v (or +12v)" conditions.

PedalSensor.png

--dick
p.s. the "high idle" option is shown on page 8w-30-2 of the 2006 service manual.
Most of the work of adding one would be telling the ECM that you have it (i.e. it was an extra-cost option back in the day). I can't think of why it would exclude (or be excluded by) cruise control.

p.p.s. note that there are *two* wiring arrangements for the pedal sensors in the service manual.
One is on page 8w-30-10 ... which DOES NOT APPLY to 2004-2006 US Sprinters.
(i borrowed its internal diagram, but substituted the correct pin-out in the above drawing)
((as always: this post may go through a couple of post-posting edits... so maybe give it ten minutes before commenting))

Last edited by autostaretx; 03-22-2019 at 09:20 PM.
autostaretx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to autostaretx For This Useful Post:
skwoodwiva (06-08-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #15
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,760 Times in 8,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwoodwiva View Post
Is it available for a tin w/ CC installed?

I cannot find it.

Owner says he used "Working Speed Control" which is intended for PTO.

The basic switch needed is simple connection to an ECM pin. I don't believe that a dealership will be able to program your ECM though. It will take a higher level clone bi-directional scan tool.

Some info is here including some documentation. I didn't wade through it.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=63382

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 03:05 AM   #16
skwoodwiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post

Owner says he used "Working Speed Control" which is intended for PTO.

The basic switch needed is simple connection to an ECM pin. I don't believe that a dealership will be able to program your ECM though. It will take a higher level clone bi-directional scan tool.

Some info is here including some documentation. I didn't wade through it.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=63382

vic
Owner has a downunder tin!
Old 06-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #17
skwoodwiva

I need to update my op.
It works even better now that I made a workaround for the botched/incomplete t21, it is mostly more consistent when I break the EGR (black #2) wire.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ions.TouchScan

This app shows the least fuel consumption with the switch opened AND then closed. Once the black wire is open, there is no turbo. But remaking it gives the least fuel rate ~.9 GPH. This is at ~1300 rpm. Also results in the least sudden speedups before fully hot (anout 10 to 15 min after full water temp is reached). I am still testing before I say no jumps up to 2500 to 3k rpm. A hard pull up on the pedel is all that is needed to get back to 1300, once the collar nut is set.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ions.TouchScan