Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:25 AM   #1
IPT

Default Harsh winter conditions - AMS oil all in one?

I'm heading up North (in Alaska) and the forecast is for sub zero temps. Forecast is for -17F when we get there, but earlier in the week it's for -37F, so who knows what it will be like once we get up there.

We have a winter package with a plug in on the van but two of the night we will be off the grid. No telling what the temps will be. I plan to bring a jump pack which will be in the van with us so hopefully a little warmer than outside. We live in Anchorage so the Diesel fuel I'm sure is a winter mix, but someone mentioned using so of the "AMS all in one" as added protection.

I've been up there in those temps plenty of time with my regular gas car and never had issues. This however will be the first time in these conditions in the van, and a Diesel vehicle. Open to your input, suggestions, and thoughts.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,550 Times in 4,776 Posts
Default Re: Harsh winter conditions - AMS oil all in one?

It can't hurt to add anti-gel beforehand. One with cetane boost will also improve cold start performance. As you mention, the diesel should be winterized in AK.

That additive seems to cover the bases. Generic power service would also work just fine, and is probably cheaper.

The biggest bennefit (with diesel that is already winterized) is to boost the cetane value, so the fuel ignites better at low temps. At temps that low, the combustion chamber won't reach auto-ignition temperature during cranking, so the hot spot provided by the glow plug does the deed.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestdrifter View Post
It can't hurt to add anti-gel beforehand. One with cetane boost will also improve cold start performance. As you mention, the diesel should be winterized in AK.

That additive seems to cover the bases. Generic power service would also work just fine, and is probably cheaper.

The biggest bennefit (with diesel that is already winterized) is to boost the cetane value, so the fuel ignites better at low temps. At temps that low, the combustion chamber won't reach auto-ignition temperature during cranking, so the hot spot provided by the glow plug does the deed.

I also saw a youtube video and the tech recommended in extreme temps like that cycle to the accessory setting (or run, whatever is where the ignition rests after coming back from the start position) a few times. They said that will ensure the glow pugs are hot, and may even disperse some heat in the chamber/cylinder.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 7,550 Times in 4,776 Posts

The MB plugs probably warm up fine in the typical cycle (varies with temp). Cycling the ignition on to off (and waiting for the GP light to extinguish) 2 or 3x can make the start a bit easier. Especially with a marginal battery.

Initially the plugs will pull 50-70A as they are warming. Once they are glowing hot, the control coil inside reduces the current down to about 30A total. So waiting until they are good and hot can make the batteries job a lot easier, when it comes to spinning the engine over.
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
IPT (02-14-2020)