Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Talk

NCV3 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 Sprinters.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
bdub406

Default HELP low compression mechanic says new motor

Need some advice. Back story is our 170" with 120'000 was surging on our way back from the Canadian border back home still held 70 mph up passes. Just a sound like sucking air in the motor no rpm change. Limped it back to our driveway and got busy with work. Tried starting it next week. Then weather was brutally cold (-10 for a week) waited for positive temps and turns over but wont even cough.Fuel not gelled. New filter and fuel pump working. Brought it to local mechanic after sitting throughout the winter (its our camper not a daily driver) I ohmed out the glow plugs and found two dead, code only caught #4 (#4 looks wet/fouled) Mechanic did compression test without starting and found 200's across all cylinders. They are telling me needs new motor/ rebuild $14'000+! Any advice? Not sure I want to go in for $14,000+. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
bdub406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Tooth Fairy
Away with the fairies.

Default Re: HELP low compression mechanic says new motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub406 View Post
They are telling me needs new motor/ rebuild $14'000+! Any advice?
Listen to uncle Tooth Fairy.
Find a mechanic who actually understands MB Sprinters.
You will save sheet loads of money.

Last edited by Tooth Fairy; 04-18-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Tooth Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tooth Fairy For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (04-18-2017), edfrompa (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
icarus

Thanked 2,331 Times in 1,598 Posts

^X2!!!

Icarus
icarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
lindenengineering

Thanked 6,553 Times in 3,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub406 View Post
Need some advice. Back story is our 170" with 120'000 was surging on our way back from the Canadian border back home still held 70 mph up passes. Just a sound like sucking air in the motor no rpm change. Limped it back to our driveway and got busy with work. Tried starting it next week. Then weather was brutally cold (-10 for a week) waited for positive temps and turns over but wont even cough.Fuel not gelled. New filter and fuel pump working. Brought it to local mechanic after sitting throughout the winter (its our camper not a daily driver) I ohmed out the glow plugs and found two dead, code only caught #4 (#4 looks wet/fouled) Mechanic did compression test without starting and found 200's across all cylinders. They are telling me needs new motor/ rebuild $14'000+! Any advice? Not sure I want to go in for $14,000+. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
First and foremost it needs to have a PROPER test--that is a good old fashioned physical one where a gauge is applied to each cylinder and a minimum of 360 psi recorded as a benchmark during cranking as the final decider..Before that i would also do a contribution test as the prescribed MB method using a scanner.
Then that expensive decision made!

I don't necessarily believe that that diagnosis is a full and comprehensive one based on the prescribed methods to determine a failed engine.

Not that its related but last week I had a Sprinter van pulled in on then the hook from a local MB dealer who stated it needed a new engine as well !
It was running & it was knocking!
That knocking was of course gasoline in the fuel!
Just needed a nose job to determine the problem by smelling the fuel in the tank., Rather like a quick smell of a nice Jura single malt.
Of course a lot cheaper than an engine and it is running just like it should today with a new fuel and some remediation.

Time for a second opinion me thinks!
All the best
Dennis
Mechanic
lindenengineering is online now   Reply With Quote