Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 Write-Ups

NCV3 Write-Ups Help other NCV3 owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
slamit
www.cacampervan.com

Default Perfect Table set up for factory bench seats

Its always been a challenge to get a place to hang out and eat in a van with factory seats. You went ahead and purchased swivels for your front seats but you still do not have a good solution for a table between your factory bench seat and the front seats. Boat pedestal tables are too small, put a hole in your floor and a speed bump that is a dirt catcher in your floor.

Everyone knows the Lagun table is great. It swivels out of the way, you can mount any type/size of table on it, and you can position it perfectly to get optimal use. The challenge was there has not been a way to mount it on a factory seat. The seat legs are angled, use thin metal, and its a small nightmare getting all the angles right even if you could mount one. So 20 hours later and several prototypes finally have a great solution for the ultimate seating set up on a stock factory van.

Here is an above view to show how flexible and perfect the table is. You can put a bigger table and off set it as well if you wanted more table space. It swivels around and moves forward and back- plenty of you tube videos on how great they are.

I will make some additional posts on how it all works, the bracket, and the install process to get everything perfectly aligned. (way harder than it looks)

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

IMG_3679.jpg
slamit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
slamit
www.cacampervan.com

Default Re: Perfect Table set up for factory bench seats

The images below show how I got the mount out of the way; in between where you would sit as well as how it all attaches to itself to be put away easily. You can also see how the mount is perfectly vertical and neatly tucked just at the edge of the front seat so it's out of the way of your legs.

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3681.jpg

IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slamit For This Useful Post:
homeslice (12-11-2017), MotoXPress (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
MotoXPress

Wow, perfect. More details when u have time please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MotoXPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:20 PM   #4
wmcbride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoXPress View Post
Wow, perfect. More details when u have time please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seconded, this looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
wmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:38 AM   #5
slamit
www.cacampervan.com

Lagun table is great but it needs a flat surface to be mounted on which is not easy with a stock seat. The mount has to be out of the way and not hindering someone whom is sitting down. So the bracket itself was designed to wedge in between the seat legs. It had to be made out of solid steel, needed to be able to be simply mounted, and a person needed to be able to get it aligned at 90 degrees so that the Lagun mount would be in the right position.

So given these needs after several attempts at fabricating a mount I ended up with a mount that would wedge in between the legs and only require a few bolts. Some of the challenges like drilling straight holes for proper alignment and getting the mount perfect was a big project. What looked easy was far from it. I ended up making it out of square tubing. You can see that the welding and fabrication is high end. It's SOLID.

You can see in the pictures that none of the angles are 90 degrees...and how it wedges up into the legs which are far from 90 degree angles and not the same on top of that.

IMG_3628.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3667.jpg

IMG_3636.jpg
The Following User Says Thank You to slamit For This Useful Post:
Bikes! (03-19-2019)
Old 12-10-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
slamit
www.cacampervan.com

To install the mount 4 holes are needed. I would recommend a step drill to go through the Sprinter seat legs-you are working with sheet metal and regular drill bits sometimes don't work so well but can be used. 3/8 bolt/nuts are used to mount the bracket.

You start first positioning the bracket so it just outside of the edge of the seat. ( See last pick on positioning of the bracket to edge of seat) Then you drill the bottom mounting holes of the bracket (inside holes on bracket first) about 7.5 -7.75 inches high from floor as seen in picture. Insert lower bolts and loosely tighten. Then proceed to mark and drill top holes by using a square to make sure the inside of the bracket is a perfect 90 degrees to the top of the seat legs and mark position of top holes to be drilled. You can also check to make sure your bracket is a perfect 90 to the floor...it should be as well. The bracket was designed so that you use little to no shims if properly mounted.

After you drill inside holes...proceed to drill outside holes carefully in the same position. The square comes in hand to make sure you drill the outside holes in similar position and spacing. The oval support tabs spread the load and can help you align your holes. Again start with bottom then to top.

Once this is all done simple bolt the bracket in place. The hard part of this (if you can call it that) is just taking time to drill 4 holes in the right position. You could even tape the bracket in (as it fits that perfect) mark you holes, double check, then drill. It's 4 bolts/nuts.

Last step is to bolt on the Lagun mount...all the holes are pre-drilled for you on the bracket.

IMG_3634.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

If you have a welder and steel cut off saw and a lot of patience this design can be duplicated I am sure with someone with a fair degree of metal fabrication skill and the mount to help mock up positioning. It's about $50 bucks in materials and about 4-6 hours of fabrication time or more first time around to get all the angles right. Even with a jig it still takes a few hours to do a mount to raw metal. (cut and weld) For DIY welders out there this is more than enough information for you to go at it for sure with your own design! For those of you whom don't...send a PM if you are interested in one for your van if you don't have the time or tools to build your own.

IMG_3634.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3685.jpg (31.6 KB, 515 views)
Bikes! (03-17-2019), Obliged (03-20-2018)
Old 12-10-2017, 04:51 AM   #7
wmcbride

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamit View Post
To install the mount 4 holes are needed. I would recommend a step drill to go through the Sprinter seat legs-you are working with sheet metal and regular drill bits sometimes don't work so well but can be used. 3/8 bolt/nuts are used to mount the bracket.

You start first positioning the bracket so it just outside of the edge of the seat. ( See last pick on positioning of the bracket to edge of seat) Then you drill the bottom mounting holes of the bracket (inside holes on bracket first) about 7.5 -7.75 inches high from floor as seen in picture. Insert lower bolts and loosely tighten. Then proceed to mark and drill top holes by using a square to make sure the inside of the bracket is a perfect 90 degrees to the top of the seat legs and mark position of top holes to be drilled. You can also check to make sure your bracket is a perfect 90 to the floor...it should be as well. The bracket was designed so that you use little to no shims if properly mounted.

After you drill inside holes...proceed to drill outside holes carefully in the same position. The square comes in hand to make sure you drill the outside holes in similar position and spacing. The oval support tabs spread the load and can help you align your holes. Again start with bottom then to top.

Once this is all done simple bolt the bracket in place. The hard part of this (if you can call it that) is just taking time to drill 4 holes in the right position. You could even tape the bracket in (as it fits that perfect) mark you holes, double check, then drill. It's 4 bolts/nuts.

Last step is to bolt on the Lagun mount...all the holes are pre-drilled for you on the bracket.

Attachment 92222

Attachment 92223

Attachment 92224

If you have a welder and steel cut off saw and a lot of patience this design can be duplicated I am sure with someone with a fair degree of metal fabrication skill and the mount to help mock up positioning. It's about $50 bucks in materials and about 4-6 hours of fabrication time or more first time around to get all the angles right. Even with a jig it still takes a few hours to do a mount to raw metal. (cut and weld) For DIY welders out there this is more than enough information for you to go at it for sure with your own design! For those of you whom don't...send a PM if you are interested in one for your van if you don't have the time or tools to build your own.

Attachment 92222

I’m interested in one for sure please PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
wmcbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
slamit
www.cacampervan.com

Some have asked here is where you get the table and mount (at least I think the best price) Fast shipping...I have ordered from them many times. Usually get it in a 5 days. With the table its a super affordable set up under $300 for the mount and table. Or just get the Lagun mount.

I use the medium table (30 inch).

https://www.marineteak.co.uk/lagun-m...ice-teak-table
Corbury1492 (07-08-2018), shouldbeasy (12-13-2017)
Old 12-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #9
slamit
www.cacampervan.com

I want to again say...anyone can take this info and can weld up their own mount...based on how I did it. I tried a bunch of different versions to end up with this one. It was a bit of work to get it so that it did not torque the legs and make the mount so the table would not flex all over the place and for it to be out of the way and easily mountable. It has to be very solid using this mount. The leverage the Lagun puts on the mounting point with a big table is a lot. Wanted to make it as well so that it's easy to bolt on and align as well. It took me 12-13 hours to figure it out and get right. Takes about 3 hours to build one now with a jig. (If you have a buddy and have to determine how much beer you have to bring for his work)

Here is a video I put together so you can see exactly what it does (Lagun Mount) so that it's better to understand why this position for a table is ideal if you want to take the time to build one on your own. .

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to slamit For This Useful Post:
AKCub (07-04-2018), David shastany (04-16-2018), elemental (03-24-2018), LulyJax (12-21-2017), marshroger@hotmail.com (04-08-2018), MotoXPress (12-13-2017), TamagoVan (03-30-2018)
Old 12-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #10
GeorgeRa
2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB

Thanked 2,519 Times in 1,634 Posts

Nice work, congratulations.

I ordered a Lagun mount a couple of month ago from UK as well. It is indeed a high-quality mount. Mine will be mounted to the 8020 galley’s front right corner for front seats. I have all materials needed just need to find time to do it.

https://goo.gl/photos/2NCR3teXLSwNYSwN8
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote