Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk

Sprinter RV's & Conversions Talk Common features found in Sprinter RV's and Conversions.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
tjmac
Missouri"Show Me"Engineer

Default Heki 2 Installation Where Maxxfan is Now

All

Recently purchased a Heki 2 . I would like to put it where my Maxxfan is ( standard location right behind seats) and move the fan to the rear for air flow. The Heki 2's large size ( 960 mm X 655 mm ) will require at least one supporting ceiling rib to be cut. The consensus on this that is Ok to cut if you support the cut beam like Hein did for his AC unit.

Questions

1.) What is the simplest bracing solution ? Do I have to use metal/steel ? or can I use wood /Adhesive?

2.) Any suggestions for getting a flat installation platform 38" wide by 26" long ? Does Hein or anyone offer a template for the Heki 2 to overcome the roof curvature and ridges ?
If not, what is the best method to create the flat surface ? Across the roof should I flatten the ridges with side cuts or build up between the ridges to create the flat mount ? Also, due to luck, I must mount the Heki 2 slightly (~ 2 ") off-center to avoid mounting directly on or next to ridges.

3.) It appears I also have the European forced air gap between the lid. What did you all recommend to seal it ? By the way, planning on painting the base white, it would be nice for the new seal to match.

Best
Tom

Wow this if fun, no idea how I going to solve this, thanks for all your help on this build.
tjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
hein
Van Guru

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,099 Posts
Default Re: Heki 2 Installation Where Maxxfan is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmac View Post
All

Recently purchased a Heki 2 . I would like to put it where my Maxxfan is ( standard location right behind seats) and move the fan to the rear for air flow. The Heki 2's large size ( 960 mm X 655 mm ) will require at least one supporting ceiling rib to be cut. The consensus on this that is Ok to cut if you support the cut beam like Hein did for his AC unit.

Questions

1.) What is the simplest bracing solution ? Do I have to use metal/steel ? or can I use wood /Adhesive?

2.) Any suggestions for getting a flat installation platform 38" wide by 26" long ? Does Hein or anyone offer a template for the Heki 2 to overcome the roof curvature and ridges ?
If not, what is the best method to create the flat surface ? Across the roof should I flatten the ridges with side cuts or build up between the ridges to create the flat mount ? Also, due to luck, I must mount the Heki 2 slightly (~ 2 ") off-center to avoid mounting directly on or next to ridges.

3.) It appears I also have the European forced air gap between the lid. What did you all recommend to seal it ? By the way, planning on painting the base white, it would be nice for the new seal to match.

Best
Tom

Wow this if fun, no idea how I going to solve this, thanks for all your help on this build.
We can make an adapter to fit the location and produce interior framing as well. We can also order the seal from Dometic and ship it with the adapter. Please contact Kim for pricing and to order. Then we can get you into the production schedule and order the seal. You may also need the longer clips to accommodate the overall thickness of the roof. We stock those also.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098

Below is a photo of the interior frame we recently produced for a Promaster.

Below. The midi heki installed using it and the outside adapter. Adapter still
needs membrane sealant applied to match color of van.

Last edited by hein; 07-15-2019 at 07:06 AM.
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hein For This Useful Post:
Midwestdrifter (07-15-2019), tjmac (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #3
tjmac
Missouri"Show Me"Engineer

thanks I will follow up with Kim. Will she help me with the framing ?

Best
Tom
tjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #4
hein
Van Guru

Thanked 1,929 Times in 1,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmac View Post
thanks I will follow up with Kim. Will she help me with the framing ?

Best
Tom
The interior framing is part of the adapter package. It is designed to be at the same elevation as the bottom of the OEM roof beams and provide a flat surface for the interior bezel. The longer clips are required. It is best to install ceiling panel first. Alternately, you can cut ceiling panel around interior bezel to recess it. You may be able to use the clips supplied with the skylight in that case.

Kim can fill you in on any remaining details and bring me into conversation to help with additional questions and custom requirements. You will need to place order to get into production schedule.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
541 490 5098