Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 09-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
mdbrown

Default Thule XT Pro on Sprinter

Does anyone know if tilting the Thule XT Pro down while loaded will allow the rear doors to clear?
Thanks!
mdbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:41 AM   #2
rdmartin13

Default Re: Thule XT Pro on Sprinter

Get a a Rak Attach, put this on the van today, itís hard to access the doors even with hitch folded down, this makes it easy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 955FE5AD-82D5-49B8-AD4A-7FE82C84DE48.jpg (130.0 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 99B246ED-5901-469E-A06A-F9B7832A15F9.jpg (130.0 KB, 125 views)
rdmartin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdmartin13 For This Useful Post:
mdbrown (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
mdbrown

that looks like a great solution if necessary, but what i'm really wanting to know is IF it's necessary. i generally travel with 4 bikes from point A (load) to point B (unload). but having sort of "emergency" access to the rear door would be great. so wondering if the bikes tilt out far enough to get the doors all the way open. thanks!
Old 09-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
marklg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrown View Post
that looks like a great solution if necessary, but what i'm really wanting to know is IF it's necessary. i generally travel with 4 bikes from point A (load) to point B (unload). but having sort of "emergency" access to the rear door would be great. so wondering if the bikes tilt out far enough to get the doors all the way open. thanks!
See my post here:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...0&postcount=17

Regards,

Mark
marklg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
marklg

The Rockymounts can take two extenders, so it holds 4 bikes max.

4_bikes.jpg

Regards,

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
mdbrown (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 09:21 PM   #6
mdbrown

Thanks. From those pics, looks like there's no way the doors open without some kind of extender or swingaway. 4 bikes is already way out there with lots of leverage. don't love the idea of an extender... thank you for the info!
Old 09-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #7
marklg

Quote:
Thanks. From those pics, looks like there's no way the doors open without some kind of extender or swingaway. 4 bikes is already way out there with lots of leverage. don't love the idea of an extender... thank you for the info!
A swing away also extends the rack away from the vehicle and adds a lot more weight. That was my thinking of going with the extender. I've traveled about 10,000 miles with two bikes and about 1,500 miles with 4 bikes and there have been no issues. I look for cracks or loose hardware once in a while.

I got the shortest extender that would just allow the doors to miss the bike rack when tipped down. There is less than an inch to spare. The extender is rated for the weight that it carries, I believe the ratings are 1/2 of the original hitch. I have two U bolt type anti-rattle devices on there too.

Regards,

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to marklg For This Useful Post:
mdbrown (09-26-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
Sstromerson

Quote:
There are a couple options I'm seeing as a way to carry 4 bikes and still have access to opening the back doors.
First would be a hanging style swing away rack. A couple current products available would be the Yakima Fullswing or the Thule Apex XT swing. There are quite a few discontinued styles that you could find used for cheaper but the new ones do have some nice features that make loading a little easier. The only downside with hanging style racks is they usually require a straight top tube or a top tube adapter.

Another option that would require a suspension fork for all of the vehicles would be a Yakima Hangover 4 (vertical carry) paired with the Yakima Backswing. The swing adapter is only rated for the Hangover 4, not the Hangover 6. The vertical carry would keep them closer to the vehicle than a 4 bike tray style

My favorite options for bikes on the back of the sprinter only carry two bikes but I'll still mention them. The Rockymounts Backstage which is a tray style with the swing incorporated so it doesn't stick out as far as others with an adapter. Or Thule has a new product the Elite Van XT. It is a cool system that mounts to the door, carries two bikes, and the bikes stay mounted to the door while opening. You can only open it to the 90 degree stop with the bikes on it though. Also only currently available for sprinters and ram promasters.

"Raxpert" at ReRack in Renton, WA
ReRack is a company in Portland, OR and Renton, WA. We Buy/Sell/Trade new and used roof racks and roof rack accessories. We offer custom/permanent installs, hitch installs, cargo box repair, and free basic install on racks purchased through us. We also have replacement parts galore for new and discontinued models.
Sstromerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
mdbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdmartin13 View Post
Get a a Rak Attach, put this on the van today, itís hard to access the doors even with hitch folded down, this makes it easy
If there's any way you could post a picture or two from the side, that would be super helpful. I like the idea more and more, but would like to see other photos that show the van/rack interface. Thanks!