Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Sprinter Talk

Sprinter Talk General discussion about anything and everything about Sprinters.
SubForums: Events Scanners

Old 08-14-2015, 11:05 PM   #21
Boxster1971
2012 Sprinter 3500 Ext

Default DANGER ALERT - OBD Insurance Monitors

Got this warning today from SAE.
"Dear SAE International Member,

We want to make you aware of an issue that was brought to our attention. Last week, we were notified that one of our members believes they had experienced an electronic issue with their vehicle after installing, voluntarily, an automatic OBDII monitoring device provided by one of our valued SAE International Membership Program Partners, Liberty Mutual. Similar devices are offered by several other auto insurance providers as an optional program that drivers may participate in to potentially lower insurance rates based on their driving patterns and behaviors. It is important to note that Liberty Mutual does not offer this program in all states and use of this device is not required in order to receive great SAE International Member-only discounts.

Liberty Mutual is currently assisting our member to investigate and resolve this issue. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Liberty Mutual at 866.274.0892 or SAE International at 877.606.7323 (U.S. and Canada only) or 724.776.4970 (Outside U.S. and Canada).

Matt Creech
Business Unit Leader
Membership & Sections"

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate on 2012 Sprinter
The Following User Says Thank You to Boxster1971 For This Useful Post:
Bruce53 (09-20-2015)
Old 05-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #22
Bobnoxious

Thanked 5,407 Times in 3,887 Posts
Arrow Re: DANGER ALERT - OBD Insurance Monitors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenengineering View Post
Hey guys
This week I have had three vehicles roll though the shop with ABS, Instrument panel issues and one lit up like a Christmas tree.

All three of these vehicles were Dodges, one a 2005 Sprinter.
In each case they had what we would call an OBD2 fault recorder, but this thing is a recording device plugged into the OBD2 diagnostic socket insurance companies to gauge your driving habits promising it seems lower premiums.

So far State Farm & Progressive are the clowns seemingly pedaling this idea, and all I can tell you is that in the case of a Sprinter and Dodge Durango it corrupted the Becm modules and the instrument clusters. So beware if these company's start mentioning it.

After fixing the Sprinter I felt like drop kicking the stupid thing like a good Auzzie No Rules Fooball player over the shop fence. Crooked the whole vehicle!
Expensive repair.
Beware Dennis
Makes question if I should use ULTRA GAUGE BLUE?
Bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:17 AM   #23
eric_f

Default Re: DANGER ALERT - OBD Insurance Monitors

I wanted to add that I've seen SRS lamps illuminate on two Toyotas after these have been plugged in as well.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:17 PM   #24
BenJohnson
2006 2500 T1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgr View Post
Anyone who would consider installing one of these to possibly save a few $ is out of their mind! Does anyone really believe the insurance companies have our best interests at hand?
That is the right kind of thinking. Why would insurance companies spend the money on gadgets that give customers lower premiums? Answer - they wouldn't. They install gadgets so that they can get better proof so that they can deny claims and save money.

It is ALWAYS about the almighty buck. Corporations are NEVER altruistic. Only the Dalai Lama, and he doesn't own a sprinter.
BenJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #25
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,827 Times in 4,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJohnson View Post
That is the right kind of thinking. Why would insurance companies spend the money on gadgets that give customers lower premiums? Answer - they wouldn't. They install gadgets so that they can get better proof so that they can deny claims and save money.

It is ALWAYS about the almighty buck. Corporations are NEVER altruistic. Only the Dalai Lama, and he doesn't own a sprinter.
Believe it or not, insurance companies will maximize profit by lowering the premiums for good drivers. How is this? The competition for good drivers is strong with insurance companies. This is because these drivers pay regularly, and rarely have a claim. These are the money makers. These good drivers are tough to identify for insurance companies, because bad drivers will still often have longish streaks of no reported accidents. The OBD monitors give the insurance companies a very good idea of how a person drives. They are willing to lower their rates, because they have a statistical and mathematical reason to. This allows them to keep more good drivers around by charging lower fees, and allows them to weed out the expensive bad drivers.

Obviously no corporation can be expected to act in opposition to their own self interest and profit unless the law says otherwise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
kensuelo (04-27-2018), metrisprinter (06-02-2019)
Old 05-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #26
hack34223

It's the stupidest thing. If you break hard more the 3 times a month, you are a bad driver. You are penalized for that. If someone pulls out in front of you it means you are going to fast and they say you are a bad driver and assed it against you. These on board devised are an intrusion into our lives and you should not alone them in your cars. If you are driving to slow on a road you are at fault and there computer records that. If you drive over the speed limit it records that and you are at risk. Don't let them into your car!
hack34223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hack34223 For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (05-13-2017), chromisdesigns (05-13-2017), GaryFromWork (07-30-2019)
Old 05-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #27
chromisdesigns

Big brother will be here soon enough anyway don't invite him in early!

If you are still into sprinter rvs and think you might want the nicest possible version send me a PM for details.
chromisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #28
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,079 Times in 8,948 Posts

Some recent info from R!ley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!ley View Post
I still have issues and I'm narrowing it down to Progressives Snapshot that I installed. It appears other users have similar issues with different vehicles. Even though I have removed the device the damage has been done.

http://gotaclassaction.com/progressi...rance-program/
vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #29
SILVERFOX

....So if you are insured by the same aszholes then you should go hard and smack them with a claim on their own policy.

The professional dissagree-ers would surely try to wriggle out of that.

I wonder if it is possible that if their monitors are corrupting ECUs and BCMs that they could cause brake malfunction, stability control failure, airbag failure leading to death or injury.

What I would like to know is how in the hell would that be legal without the consent of the vehicle owner.

Nick

Last edited by SILVERFOX; 09-23-2017 at 08:01 AM.
SILVERFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SILVERFOX For This Useful Post:
CM Krystal (05-03-2019), Frank Mc (12-13-2017)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #30
kensuelo

****, I just received my ODBII dongle from Metromile and plugged it in this morning!

In my case, their rate is nearly 50% that of any major insurance company. I wasn't stoked on having my data being tracked but that equates to almost $100/month savings for me so I was willing to give it a try. Now i'm having second thoughts...

FWIW, the *current* Terms and Conditions clearly state that telemetry data will not be used unless expressly approved by me, the policy holder. But those terms could change at any time without me knowing....
kensuelo is offline   Reply With Quote