Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > VS30 Sprinters > VS30 Talk

VS30 Talk General Discussions related to VS30 W907 Sprinters.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:09 AM   #11
nomad12

Default Re: High performance rear air conditioning package - is it necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 430 hp 70 View Post
Just to confirm, the standard AC can be operated independently in the rear?

Thanks
Independent but no controls in rear.
nomad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nomad12 For This Useful Post:
430 hp 70 (08-21-2019), cacaw (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 06:48 PM   #12
Lu10ntDn

Does anyone know if the Passenger van can be ordered without any rear AC at all? I'm considering one as the basis for a build and would prefer to install an aftermarket AC, like this one from ARV since it's so quiet: https://www.upfittersresource.com/co...-benz-sprinter It's a Belaire from Autralia, I believe.
Lu10ntDn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:02 AM   #13
430 hp 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu10ntDn View Post
Does anyone know if the Passenger van can be ordered without any rear AC at all? I'm considering one as the basis for a build and would prefer to install an aftermarket AC, like this one from ARV since it's so quiet: https://www.upfittersresource.com/co...-benz-sprinter It's a Belaire from Autralia, I believe.
I haven't seen an option to delete it in the ordering guide, but your dealer might be able to work something out.
430 hp 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
cacaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu10ntDn View Post
... I'm considering one as the basis for a build and would prefer to install an aftermarket AC...
Okay, so we have the non-high-performance air conditioning in our new passenger van. Looking at some of the split units, I'm wondering if there might be some way to tap into the coolant lines and connect them to a 12/24 volt compressor.

I've heard of people discarding their factory rear AC and replacing it with a new RV air conditioner, but that seems wasteful, since there's a perfectly good condenser, fan, and ducting system already in place and nicely trimmed out.

Just thinking out loud here, would be possible to have two compressors on the same AC system? Cooling would be provided by the factory-installed compressor when the engine is running but then a 12/24 volt compressor could take over when the engine is turned off.

Like this one https://www.cruisencomfortusa.com/hd-series

What would happen if this compressor was installed inline on the existing AC plumbing?
cacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:42 PM   #15
dynaco1

Front air must be activated to run rear OEM roof air. Not vice versa.

I have seen OEM roof air units on cargo unit (w/o windows). It's shown in MY19 DOG equipment book H08 $2,721 as available for cargo and crew models. Notes indicate van must must have D93+ED4+V36; only available for CHS production.

My 2015 170ext with mobility package had windows all-around. Windows all-around makes rear air almost a necessity in extreme summer heat in 170 and 170ext. Not so much in 144 low roof vans.

Last edited by dynaco1; 08-26-2019 at 02:07 PM.
dynaco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dynaco1 For This Useful Post:
curt mini14 (08-26-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #16
kinjachris

I have a 144 low roof cargo and I'm in SoCal. If its 70 degrees or less out the rear AC isn't needed. If the temp goes over 80 the rear AC unit is needed as the back half of the van never gets to a cool temperature. I recently did a trip up the inland parts of CA and I was in areas with an exterior temp over 90. The front AC was on full blast. the front of the van never really got cool (perhaps 75?) the back of the van was in the mid to high 80s. I had no passengers so it was OK for me. If I had passengers, they would have been complaining. I found myself not wanting to turn the van off at the gas station as just a few minutes without the front AC unit going full blast made it hard to recover. So, If you are in Canada, no need for rear AC. South of Canada, yes.
kinjachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #17
cacaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinjachris View Post
If its 70 degrees or less out the rear AC isn't needed. If the temp goes over 80 the rear AC unit is needed as the back half of the van never gets to a cool temperature. ...
We took our 144 passenger van up to Santa Barbara yesterday and it showed how the sun's radiant energy can be more important than air temperature, particularly with all the dark windows on the passenger van.

The van had been sitting in the sun (air temperature 75-80) until 11:30 and it was uncomfortably hot inside (I'd guess 90+). Even after opening all the doors for a while, it took over half an hour of running the air conditioner to lower the temperature of the interior components.

The van stayed cool all day, but I left it running at our first stop. Even in 80 coastal weather, it seemed it would have been possible for the sun to heat the van up to the point where the air conditioner wouldn't have been able to keep up with the thermal demand. (This will probably change significantly when I install window coverings and get the roof insulated.)

When stopped, the best defense would be reflective screens (or an awning) keeping the sun from hitting the windows and side of the van. When driving, the windows are going to get hot from the sun so insulated window coverings are probably the best option. (Reflective window coverings can actually make the window hotter as they reflect radiant energy back through the windows.)

Putting solar panels on the roof (with an air gap) will probably decrease radiant heating of the roof. And, it would be most helpful to keep the van from getting hot in the first place, at least no warmer than the outside air temperature. I'm still trying to figure out what to do but the best ventilation system (when parked) would be one that brings cool air in from below the van and expels it through the highest point in the van.

All in all, I'm glad we have the rear air conditioning. In our 144, the high performance (second compressor) upgrade might have been overkill but I'd be happy to have it in a 170. I just wish there were some way to add a 12V compressor to the existing condenser system, so that we could have battery-powered air conditioning while camping.
cacaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:23 AM   #18
Vader170

I have a 2019 144 with High Performance AC. I wanted to put a sky box on top was was discouraged with the lack of room for it. Then I was at the dealer and saw a passenger with a standard rear AC. It was about a foot shorter in length. I'm in WA and would have been happy with the Standard for the extra roof top space.
Vader170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:06 PM   #19
mdbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader170 View Post
I have a 2019 144 with High Performance AC. I wanted to put a sky box on top was was discouraged with the lack of room for it. Then I was at the dealer and saw a passenger with a standard rear AC. It was about a foot shorter in length. I'm in WA and would have been happy with the Standard for the extra roof top space.
Exactly the same for me. The high performance AC unit is friggin huge! i want to put a rack on top, but there will be so little actual rack space. aluminess makes riser cross bars for their racks so it SHOULD clear the AC unit and allow you to put a box up there, but it will be WAY up there and that's a pricey upgrade.
mdbrown is offline   Reply With Quote