Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > Off Topic

Off Topic Nonrelated Sprinter things to say? This is the place to be (although certain threads that are politically or religiously charged will be moved to the DZ).
SubForums: Health The Funnies The Danger Zone

Old 12-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #71
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,218 Times in 9,025 Posts
Default Re: Boating/sailing involved forum members

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwan View Post

Unfortunately, the one I have ran me ~$750. I looked at the el-cheapo ones, but they don't work well tacking. Figured this was my little entry fee into sailing (/ kayaking).

Heading up slow on a headwind through the Elkhorn Slough...
The ability to tack is worth some extra money because it helps you to enjoy the ride. Looks like fun. vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 12-10-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
CJPJ (12-12-2012), sikwan (12-10-2012)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #72
pgr

No election, we gotta fight about sumptin
pgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #73
CJPJ
2008 3500 170"ext. 3.0 V6

Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,379 Posts

CJPJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #74
Peter_C

We grew up sailing the SF Bay and surrounding ocean on a 10 meter Pearson. Good times were always had. It also kept us teenagers out of trouble as we would jam over to the city in the early afternoon and my buddy and I would go out sailing for a few hours, returning back to the dock at Marina Green a little before sunset. I miss sailing that boat. I was at the helm one day when we were over powered and broached on an unexpected gust. She rounded up nicely, allowing us to take in a little more sail. Although a heavy and slow boat she solid and predictable.

Now we have a 14' Zodiac we use for scuba diving. Sometimes we launch out of horseshoe cove and take it out on the ocean, and then after a quick tour around Alcatraz, SF or both, go for a hike at Angel Island. Gotta use our state park pass as much as possible, since they raised the costs.

We have two kayaks too but rarely use them. Sometimes it is fun to go and float the Guernville River though.

If any of you San Francisco Bay sailors ever need a crew Adeline and I would be exuberant to get out on a sailboat. We come with our own self inflating lifejackets too.
Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter_C For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #75
OrioN
2008 2500 170" EXT

Thanked 2,591 Times in 1,892 Posts

... 'Boating/sailing involved forum members'...

see Blade... it's all about you... floating in raft out in the open sea... a drift with no sail nor power... big storms brewing all around you... no shore in your sight...nor insite...

...consider me your life preserver... sent from GOD...

why? because we SEE... and CARE... just 'cause WE can...
OrioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #76
Boater

My boating and sailing involvements - where should I start, perhaps the beginning?

Joined the Sea Scouts because I fancied dinghy sailing, ended up becoming a Scouts instructor, but of course it isn't all just sailing and I was also indoctrinated into canoes and kayaks, ended up with a proper kayak qualifaction.

Got a part time job building canal boats, ended up effectively full time through the holidays including when I was at university.

Did a degree in Naval Architecture (Small craft technology), but no money to keep up sailing so concentrated on WW kayaking as a student and for many years after.

Quit a Phd to become a laminator, built some nice boats (dinghies) but never managed to get out on any which I regret. 49ers, RS600's, Flying 15's, international 14's and one 18 foot skiff. We had started work fairing a 29er plug when I was made redundant.

Landed a job in a shipyard, building offshore supply vessels at the time. A couple of years doing trim and stability books, inclining experiments, launch calcs etc. Then the yard was sold and ended up doing warship work and at some point my role changed to mainly weight control. At this point I got despondant about getting chartered - because I wasn't employed by the new company directly as a graduate trainee I was ineligible for their programme and ended up seeing lads with no idea passing easily through the process on the accredited scheme where I would have needed to produce a whole bunch of paperwork and fight my way through the process - one of the guys got his chartership and a promotion above me yet almost every day I had to help him with some aspect of his job because he was utterly hopeless - I stopped paying my institute fees and began looking for other jobs.

The whole time I was kayaking a lot. If it rained we spent the weekends driving around Scotland paddling whichever rivers had the best levels. I was paddling playboats up to and including class 5 and often had trouble with my legs from paddling such cramped boats, but I loved it. Did a couple of paddling trips to California in the early noughties and then Washington in 2003 (touching Idaho and Oregon too). The 2 guys I went over with had started flying power kites and it sounded great. We ended up in Hood River for a couple of days which all the windsurfers and kitesurfers will know well even if they haven't been. It looked amazing!

After I got back to the UK I got a kite, and met some of the local flyers who had formed a bit of a club with a website.
A couple of the guys (father and son) had been to a few kite buggy races in England so after I learned to buggy (which was real quick with my sailing background) I started heading to the racing with them and another guy who was also a kite distributor. After a couple of years like that (and I didn't do very well in those days) there was a problem with beach license for a Euros so the Irish association offered to take the event over and invited the Scottish association to attend - we hadn't actually held any races at that time but there were 4 us racing in the English series so 3 of us took up the invite and the association joined FISLY. After that we started running a Scottish race series which currently has about 25 regular participants, which is similar to the current English fleet - the growth phase has passed). So through the winter months I generally have 1 or 2 buggy race events every month - I race the English series as well as Scottish, but can only represent Scotland internationally. Kite buggies are recognised by FISLY as class 8 landyachts and we compete using their International Sailing and Racing Rules - maybe not boating but definitely sailing. I am also a member of the sand yacht club at the best site in the UK although I haven't had much chance to visit this year - when my Sprinter is running right it will be the perfect vehicle for hauling my kit down there and camping in the club car park, and it won't be the biggest motorhome doing it either, 2 of the guys have A class rigs.

At some point not long after I started kiting I made another friend who is a Naval Architect and was learning to kitesurf, we ended up with a small group of us who would head to the beach together. most of the guys had had some lessons, but I just learned from them and from my own sailing and kiting experience and got into kitesurfing too. At one point I ended up working with a windsurfer and because we finished at lunchtime on Fridays I would get a lift to the beach with him any time it was windy - he was working on looping his windsurfer and I was working on jumping the kiteboard and trying to ride waves (which is ace when it comes off!). Unfortuately that didn't last too long because talking to my other friend I discovered they needed another Naval Architect so I changed jobs to my current one, which is a small consultancy handling everything from small craft and cargo barges right through to major oil rig upgrades. Unfortunately since joining I have struggled to find time for kitesurfing and mainly only get out in my buggy for race events (or if I plan a 'training' weekend), which is still a lot of weeknds.

On the kayaking front 'creeking' really took off over here and the rivers we were paddling got steeper and rockier and less suitable for playboats. Creek boats started becoming essential, but heavy which I always found a paradox since the rivers that require them often involve a bit of a hike in. After my second run down the Grand Canyon (2004 and 2007) which is perfect in a playboat I started to lose interest in river running because none of my mates wanted to paddle proper rivers anymore, and frankly my body was taking a battering on the sort of burns we were running instead - I still enjoy that sort of thing bit only occasionally.

Of course I'm not the kind of guy to just stop paddling, so as my river running ramped down my sea kayaking ramped up although my 30 odd year old boat with it's many repairs and excessive weight was starting to hold me back so last year I splashed out on a new carbon/kevlar Taran from Rockpool which is a truly excellent boat, almost fast enough to keep up with my sea kayaking mates who have all taken to using 'Flat Earth Kaak Sails' from Australia and are finding themselves only heading out when the wind gets to a strength which previously they would have been considering not paddling in! That has left me with a dilemma - which boat to fit a sail onto? The Taran is light because there is no excess material anywhere, which means the deck is not strong enough to step the mast on directly so I should really rig one on the Sea King instead. I have just today been shown a photo of a new OEM over-deck mast bracket for the Taran similar to the one some of the Aussies or Tassies have been making so they can sail their Tarans. I am still thinking about an internal arrangement for my own, possibly a telescopic or folding kingpost to spread the loads into the bottom but still be able to remove it for stowing camping gear in the bow.

So I have had or do have quite a bit of involvement with several forms of boating and/or sailing.

I bought my sprinter as a race van for hauling the kite buggy to race events and to provide accommodation whilst I am there. Obviously I can get playboats or creek boats in the garage area to use it in a similar way for river running or playboating or surfing. I have started taking the kitesurf kit to buggy events now I have plenty of space thanls to the Sprinter.
The other thing, which I have mentioned before, is that I cut a hatch between my cargo area and livig area, and if I pop the passenger bench seat out my LWB is long enough to swallow the full 18 foot boat with the bow under the glove box and the rudder just inside the rear door. So yeah I guess it is a boating/sailing van!

And next May I'm running the Grand Canyon again, but this time considering doing it in a solo canoe for an extra challenge.
Aqua Puttana (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #77
glasseye

Thanked 1,772 Times in 946 Posts

The absolute best way to go boating is to have a friend with one.

My pal Jon bought this lovely 27 ft Weldcraft a year ago and this September we trailered it across the province to The Discovery Islands for her first taste of salt water.

For those who don't know, The Discovery Islands are that archipelago of several dozen islands that lies between Vancouver Island and the British Columbia mainland. Boater's paradise.

We spent a week there, diddling around, pretending to fish, generally having the best time that 60-year-olds can have.

Jon accompanied me on Frito's (my T1N) first journey from his ebay motors birthplace in Phoenix home to Canada. It was his first Sprinter acquaintance and I was delighted when he called his new boat "the Sprinter of boats". They really are quite similar. The Weldcraft is a workboat. Plain and simple.

Two Yamaha 150's and a 10 hp Yamaha trolling motor. Nearly 30 kts cruise

"Travels With Frito" Global travels by van, motorcycle and other www.petercmclennan.com

Absent this forum, I'd never have bought a Sprinter.
glasseye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to glasseye For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (12-11-2012), bladerunner (12-11-2012), CJPJ (12-12-2012), thinice (12-14-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #78
bladerunner

Thanked 4,831 Times in 3,207 Posts

Great boat Great pic. 9.5/10
For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise. Benjamin Franklin

LET THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!:

Science - Here are the facts, now what conclusions can we draw from them?

Religion - Here are the conclusions, now what facts can we find to support them?
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #79
bladerunner

Thanked 4,831 Times in 3,207 Posts

For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise. Benjamin Franklin

LET THE FACTS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES!:

Science - Here are the facts, now what conclusions can we draw from them?

Religion - Here are the conclusions, now what facts can we find to support them?
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bladerunner For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (12-11-2012), Boater (12-11-2012)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:09 AM   #80
CJPJ
2008 3500 170"ext. 3.0 V6

Thanked 2,102 Times in 1,379 Posts
Default Re: Encountering Storm Force 10

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...fauxfullscreen
CJPJ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJPJ For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (10-01-2019)