Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > General Forums > The Competition

The Competition Discussion of other vehicles similar to the Sprinter; Transit, Promaster, etc.
SubForum: Write-Ups

Old 03-06-2019, 03:31 AM   #11
rolleur

Default Re: 2020 Transit Getting 10-speed auto and All Wheel Drive

Iíve been waiting patiently for a 2019 4x4, but this may derail my plans. A lot to like in this package. It will be interesting to see how these are priced.

Maybe this means sprinter dealers will actually return my phone calls for a change!
rolleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:33 AM   #12
MotoXPress

New crew version , finally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MotoXPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:41 AM   #13
jostalli

Sounds great but the exterior looks the same
jostalli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:36 AM   #14
GUARDSREDCAR

I own a 2015 Sprinter 144" RWD (Passenger conversion by Midwest Automotive Designs)

LOVE the FLAT floor at driver's footwell
LOVE the LACK of transmission Hump
LOVE the WIDE space between front seats
LOVE the EASE of walking from back of van smoothly into front seats
HATE the jarring ride
HATE the ungainly look of the 4X4 with its' jacked up appearance
LOVE the numerous creature comfort updates on the 2019 + Including availability of dash mounted electric parking brake, freeing up MORE space between front seats

With respect to the TRANSIT
LOVE the smooth ride
HATE the CLUTTERED driver's footwell - so many bumps, humps, dead pedals and intrusions
HATE the Transmission Hump
HATE the NARROW space between the front seats
HATE the intrusive and bulky manual parking brake further compromising space between the front seats
HATE the tripping hazzards when walking from back to front

In order to get me interested in switching to FORD Transit AWD, at very least they need to offer a dash mounted electric parking brake, freeing up MORE space between front seats
GUARDSREDCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GUARDSREDCAR For This Useful Post:
slem (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #15
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,689 Times in 2,658 Posts

A little feedback on the difficulty of moving from driver seat to cargo area and back in a Transit. Sprinter is much better than the Transit. The Sprinter seats are spaced further apart than the Transit seats.

The movement from the seat to the cargo is not much of a problem. Coming from the cargo area to the driver seat is a problem. You learn how to do it. Left foot in front of the seat and then just drop down onto the seat. OK if you are of reasonable size and somewhat agile. A real problem if you are not. I certainly would strongly dislike the design if I was a UPS/FedEx driver who had to do the "dance" all day long. For a conversion it is not a big issue IMO. Not done often enough to be a big issue. I definitely prefer the Sprinter's ease of movement to/from the cargo area.

One other aspect of the seat placement is the entry in/out of the driver door. Do not know the reason but the Transit is a lot better in this regard. Might be that the seat is further away from the door or the seat's placement relative to the door size. Do like the built in armrest on the Transit's door panel. Hopefully they have added some padding with the redesign. It is rock hard on my 2015 and not useable until I added a computer keyboard gel pad to the door.

Web Site: http://ortontransit.info

U-Tube Video: https://youtu.be/h5L6TZdy_y0
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:35 PM   #16
asimba2
2016 4cyl High Roof 144

Among my circle of friends, one of three things brought us to the Sprinter line. It was either the 4 cylinder diesel, the Crew van configuration or the factory 4x4. The 4 cyl is not currently available, so there goes that. The Transit will now be available in a Crew configuration. The 4x4, even though it works, just isn't well implemented. The addition of AWD/4WD (whatever it is) to the Transit is almost guaranteed to be better, because it would be nearly impossible to make a 4wd system with more compromises than the MB one. The year-plus round-around and $15,000 of mark-up on the 4x4 Sprinter is just frustrating. And finally, MB messed with the great looks of the Sprinter on the new model. I could be wrong but I feel there are many more reasons to consider Transit now.

Last edited by asimba2; 03-06-2019 at 02:48 PM.
asimba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asimba2 For This Useful Post:
pdxkid (03-08-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 08:13 PM   #17
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,468 Times in 4,090 Posts

We don't have any info yet on the transits AWD system. It will probably be okay, but a lot hinges on ground clearance, and how robust it is. If it uses the clutch driven system, it will only produce front drive during a slip condition. Unlike the sprinters 4x4/AWD which shifts part of the torque to the front axle whenever 4x4 is engaged.

Several AWD systems I have used would overheat or not perform properly when crawling at load speed over obstacles. Or when lifting a wheel etc. Not that it applies to everyone's usage, but these are important considerations. I would guess the transit AWD would also have a minor lift if any, which could be a pro or con depending on your usage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Midwestdrifter For This Useful Post:
Ed463 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #18
ID_Overlander

I was happy to see the AWD on the new Transit its the one reason I crossed it off my list vs the Sprinter. That with the Ecoboost 3.5L V6 (engine has a lot of power), and HIDs along with a handful of other updates make it a real contender for me. Also you'll most likely be able to get one at X-Plan pricing which is "Invoice" x 0.4% + $275 Program Fee. There are various ways to get this such as joining the mustang club of america (https://www.mustang.org/content.php/...MCA-Membership) for $25 and wait 60 days prior to purchase.
ID_Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:56 PM   #19
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite Dave View Post
Rather a major list of improvements.

Hopefully the auto stat/stop can be defeated.

Agree. The new Sprinter dash is not attractive.
Hola Graphite Dave Amigo... true, but I have never been keen about Dashes; electronic gizmos; flashing lights; sounds, etc. Am more interested in its drivelines: engine; transmissions; brakes, etc.

A 10 speed Transit with Diesel possibility...wooooo....me interested but don't you think that Diesels will eventually lose their demand here: must it still also be ULSD; DEF, DPF, low ash oils, etc, then I'd go gasoline.

Not much related to this: Just came back from Paris, FR. LOTS of Sprinter cargos and of course Renault; Peugeot; a few Transits but much more Sprinters...wonder whether they do not have the same pollution stuff drilled into their blocks.?

cheers...

Last edited by Mein Sprinter; 03-06-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Mein Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:13 PM   #20
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,689 Times in 2,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein Sprinter View Post
Hola Graphite Dave Amigo... true, but I have never been keen about Dashes; electronic gizmos; flashing lights; sounds, etc. Am more interested in its drivelines: engine; transmissions; brakes, etc.

A 10 speed Transit with Diesel possibility...wooooo....me interested but don't you think that Diesels will eventually lose their demand here: must it still also be ULSD; DEF, DPF, low ash oils, etc, then I'd go gasoline.

Not much related to this: Just came back from Paris, FR. LOTS of Sprinter cargos and of course Renault; Peugeot; a few Transits but much more Sprinters...wonder whether they do not have the same pollution stuff drilled into their blocks.?

cheers...
I have no need for all the new electronic gizmos that all the new cars are getting. Just more stuff to fail. I prefer to just be a driver without any distractions. I made the decision 4 years ago to get rid of the diesel. Not much difference in total operating costs. Like the 3000 dealers and the standard gas F-150 drive train that mechanics know how to fix.

Was in Italy last year and had the same observation. Lots more Sprinters than Transits. Even saw a Hyundai van.

Hope all is well with you and your wife. I am still spending the week in Monterey for auto stuff each year.

Web Site: http://ortontransit.info

U-Tube Video: https://youtu.be/h5L6TZdy_y0
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote