Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Regional Discussions > Australia, New Zealand, and Asia Pacific

Old 10-26-2016, 11:16 PM   #1
Zfcyp

Default 02 140" 4x4 Crank's No Start Intermitent Electrical

Hi all gonna throw this one up in the plight that i will help others or others will help me.

Ex Ambulance here in AUS, doing a camper conversion. Inside has been striped, including the Rear AC. After i removed the AC i took it for a spin no problems noticed that the 4x4 buttons where not working. Turns out the controller for them was just slightly unplugged. Now I have no start or intermittent start (has started twice for me since this fault occoured) I have the electrics almost entirely showing ie dash is out ect in the car looking for a bad connection as the Scan tool i am using say no communication with ECM the only diagnostics i get is for the ABS which is fine. No dash lights on that shouldnt be there. The 2 times is started where first thing in the morning SECOND crank after a short first one lasting just a few seconds. It could be crank and or cam pos sensors but i am leaning to electrical connections because this is where i have been working.

Have recently replaced a brake sensor. I can see this fault in the history of the ABS.

I have drilled a hole in the back side of my fuel filler pipe installing the new floor, i dont think an unpressurised fuel tank will cause this fault but please let me know if i am wrong.

I am an electrician but i dont have the ability to test the modules and or ECM unless someone has the Ohms i should be recieving pin to pin?.

Will keep looking and keep updating.

Z
Zfcyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:34 AM   #2
Zfcyp

Default Re: 02 140" 4x4 Crank's No Start Intermitent Electrical

Mercedes Sprinter 02 W903 - Cranking no start - using X431IV diag tool getting readings on some things but most coming back as no communication with ECU. D+ terminal relay 1 is not being activated from the Instrument Cluster Blue/Pink wire. Dash lights come on as normal with only battery and traction (is the traction light a indicator for something not function because it is on??) lights remaining on before start. engine cranks no start. Visual inspection of all under seat electrics and engine bay, and under dash and under steering coloum connections and terminals look good. 1 pin on the ECU looks a tad corroded as if it has drawn load - (and I have changed a fuse labeled ECU in stearing columb but that is previous to the last start) but internals show no signs of bad joins. worst connections where in the 14 Pin Merc connection cleaned up, under the chip sensor on the ignition barrel it is plastic and has a metal ring which i suspect earths through the key barrell. Diag computer gets access to ABS info - 4x4 info - APS Info - AB - WPS Info. limited instrument cluster info and no engine and fuel information. Fried ECU??? Doesnt explain the last start 3 days ago before i pulled it all apart again to find a presumbed electrical fault - Another thought leads me to the fact i did push the van back into the shed 7 meters. perhaps the crank or cam sensors realligned after moving allowing for one start??
Old 10-28-2016, 12:33 AM   #3
owner

Has this scanner you are using ever connected to the ECU before?
owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
Zfcyp

Na the scanner was a loaner from a mechanic. So after i get back into it this morning i pull all the relays and start having a suss, when i put them back in the van started. i ran it until it was warm, shut it down and started it repeatedly no problem. let it cool. it started 2nd try after a bit of chugging. drove it for a bit droped the computer back at the mechanics where it started again. get 5 mins down the road ABS EDC Traction lights come on. will follow up tomorrow. spent the afternoon putting the hardwood floor in.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Eric Experience

Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,038 Posts

Z
When you were pulling the ambo wiring did you unscrew any earth wires that were sharing the factory wires?, if so you could check that the earths are tight. The other area that is trouble is the butchered wiring behind the ignition lock, did you solder the cut wires? Eric.
Eric Experience is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Experience For This Useful Post:
Zfcyp (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #6
Zfcyp

Hi Eric,

Removed all wiring. everything should be standard the only earths that have been touched are the ones the i have remade trying to solve this problem. which are the 2 under the driver seat and the 1 next to the battery. The Mechanic noticed air bubbles in my fuel lines yesterday which could also be a clue to this fault. Non OEM fuel filter i dont think had new O rings with it when service was done 4k ago. am going to take it for a good drive over the next week and see how it goes. keep at it when i get back. at least its running.