Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 05-15-2019, 01:41 AM   #11
TwoClinks
2016 Unity TB

Default Re: MB Speed detector sensor.

What I am saying is that a few posting negative postings should not make all Sprinters or service centers bad. I don't like the high labor rates or the challenges of attempting some of my own maintenance, but I knew all of this from my own research long before I placed my LTV order. German companies do not conduct business or engineer anything the way American companies do. You can't have all the modern cutting edge innovations in vehicles without occasional problems and failures. Ford is going after the Sprinter market but their not there yet. For one, they can't carry the weight of a Unity coach and your stuff. And you can't enjoy the torque of a diesel yet. Reasons the Wonder was added to LTV's offerings. LTV brainstormed to get the weight down, the price down, and insured that if MB couldn't deliver cutaway chassis, Ford could. General Motors had failed LTV causing them to discontinue the Libero.
I guess those that are unhappy with MB can sell them. They hold some value as new MB chassis grow in price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
This is true, of course.
But many, many others of us have suffered through these exact issues, among others. My rear-speed sensor adventure (which I have reported in another thread) was almost EXACTLY the same as the one described here, including the refusal to replace both sensors, even though they are well-known for failing in pairs.

Most component failures occur on a normal curve. The question isn't whether some lucky owners end up on the good side of the curve--they obviously do. The question is where the mean lies.
SSTraveler (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:55 AM   #12
Normand

Strangely you don't mention Japanese products. I bought several cars new from them. Never had the slightest problem will all of them. No as a matter of fact, one gave me a problem with the transmission but the car had 160,000 miles. And their service rate was acceptable and I did not had to pay a huge amount for the diagnostic only. This will be the last MB product I ever buy as well as the F250 diesel , bought new and was a lemon (bought back)
Normand is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Normand For This Useful Post:
avanti (05-15-2019), Bobnoxious (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #13
Shadow5501

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoClinks View Post
What I am saying is that a few posting negative postings should not make all Sprinters or service centers bad. I don't like the high labor rates or the challenges of attempting some of my own maintenance, but I knew all of this from my own research long before I placed my LTV order. German companies do not conduct business or engineer anything the way American companies do. You can't have all the modern cutting edge innovations in vehicles without occasional problems and failures. Ford is going after the Sprinter market but their not there yet. For one, they can't carry the weight of a Unity coach and your stuff. And you can't enjoy the torque of a diesel yet. Reasons the Wonder was added to LTV's offerings. LTV brainstormed to get the weight down, the price down, and insured that if MB couldn't deliver cutaway chassis, Ford could. General Motors had failed LTV causing them to discontinue the Libero.
I guess those that are unhappy with MB can sell them. They hold some value as new MB chassis grow in price.
The Ford Transit chassis does come with a diesel and it is the only engine used by LTV for the Wonder. It has about the same HP and quite a bit more torque than the MB diesel. The transit chassis is available with a petrol engine, but the GVWR and/or GCWR are lower than the diesel version. So RV builders all choose the diesel, even it requires them to shave some weight off the house to maintain respectable OCCC.

Iíve driven the old Sprinter, new Sprinter, and Wonder. The Wonder feels more powerful, mostly because itís lighter. It drives very well, less truck like than the old Sprinter. But the new Sprinter is just a good, much quieter, and has a luxury car quality interior. The Ford is rather industrial, like the old Sprinter, perhaps more so. Perhaps that will change with the updated 2020 Ford chassis.
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:58 PM   #14
blue
2011 LTV Unity CB

Normand -- I don't see where you have told us why this wasn't covered by warranty.
blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blue For This Useful Post:
Bobnoxious (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:47 PM   #15
Normand

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Normand -- I don't see where you have told us why this wasn't covered by warranty.
Mine is a 2016 Unity MB and has a 2015 MB chassis. Has 55,000kms or about 35,000.
Do not have paid for an extended warranty. Having a speed senso defective at such mileage is not what I could call low quality and I expect that soon or later all similar sensors are going to do the same. Paying also $169 can to have such defect detected is for me daylight robbery.
So this is not covered by MB warranty ant it end up to $686.45 can for the repair.
What is worse is that vehicle is only used on long ride driving.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #16
avanti
2014 GWV Legend 3500 I4

Thanked 2,866 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normand View Post
Mine is a 2016 Unity MB and has a 2015 MB chassis. Has 55,000kms or about 35,000.
Do not have paid for an extended warranty. Having a speed senso defective at such mileage is not what I could call low quality and I expect that soon or later all similar sensors are going to do the same. Paying also $169 can to have such defect detected is for me daylight robbery.
So this is not covered by MB warranty ant it end up to $686.45 can for the repair.
What is worse is that vehicle is only used on long ride driving.
All four vehicle speed sensors are covered under the "Federal Emission Warranty - Diesel Heavy Duty Vehicle" section of your OEM warranty, which is good for 5 years or 100,000 miles. I do not see why the repair as you describe it would not have been covered. They certainly paid for both mine that failed.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #17
Normand

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
All four vehicle speed sensors are covered under the "Federal Emission Warranty - Diesel Heavy Duty Vehicle" section of your OEM warranty, which is good for 5 years or 100,000 miles. I do not see why the repair as you describe it would not have been covered. They certainly paid for both mine that failed.
Because you are protected, in USA and we don't even have a Lemon law in Canada....disgu
The Following User Says Thank You to Normand For This Useful Post:
avanti (05-15-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 02:36 AM   #18
blue
2011 LTV Unity CB

My Sprinter is 2010 covered by Canadian warranty. My warranty book says that the vehicle speed sensors are covered by the Emission Control System Warranty for 5 years or 160,000 km.
blue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blue For This Useful Post:
Normand (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #19
Normand

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
My Sprinter is 2010 covered by Canadian warranty. My warranty book says that the vehicle speed sensors are covered by the Emission Control System Warranty for 5 years or 160,000 km.
Hi Blue
Thanks a lot you just saved me $686. I called MB Canada and was told that they are part of the 160,000 kms warranty.
After reading the Service manual , I also found it there. It is covered. Thank you very much again.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #20
Bone Head
2014 LTV Unity MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj4oll View Post
Had one of the rears go out @ about 7k miles. Warranty covered it on our 2017 24G Winnebago.
Leaving for Alaska in 4 days. Bought a front (1) and rear (2) spare ABS sensor assemblies from https://www.autohausaz.com/
Canít afford to have one go out in the middle of nowhere, pretty simple to change.
I donít care about warranty, the $$$ is inconsequential to my trip, delays and inconvenience, shady dealersÖnope, just crawling under there and changing the sensor.
Pitiful that MB canít figure out how to manufacture quality any more.
Our 1985 MB sedan ABS still works fine, MB should get that guy out of retirement.
kj4oll,
Could you share the part numbers for the wheel speed sensors you purchased from autohausax? I can't seem to find the parts listed on their website??
Thank you,
Bob
Too many places to see.
Bone Head is offline   Reply With Quote