Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > NCV3 Sprinters > NCV3 4x4 Talk

NCV3 4x4 Talk General Discussions related to NCV3 4x4 Sprinters.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #11
CJPJ
2008 3500 170"ext. 3.0L

Thanked 1,808 Times in 1,180 Posts
Default Re: KONI 87-2661 Adjustable Front Strut/Shock NCV3 4x4

A seat of the pants feeling for rebound setting for driving preformance ; would be ..while driving /.. after a G-out-compression of the suspension, the spring rebound should be dampened enough that your butt doesn't hover rise much from the seats foam.

Now - the rebound setting for slow-G-0uts; such as controlling rocking from enter a driveway would require a much higher slow speed dampening setting. A compromise, In that at road speed the suspension reaction is too slow and causes the ride to be deeper into the spring rate. Making a hard ride so that your butt rises and pounds the seat foam.

Last edited by CJPJ; 05-11-2019 at 04:40 PM.
CJPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
calbiker

Thanked 1,075 Times in 708 Posts

A springs reaction to an impulse is an oscillation at the springs natural frequency. This is the same frequency as when the chassis is rocking. It doesn't matter if the spring deflection is caused by a G-out or just entering a driveway, the spring reaction is the same. The spring deflection amplitude may be different, but the oscillating frequency is the same.

The function of the shock absorber is to dampen the oscillation so that it doesn't go on indefinitely. The key unit of measure in a spring/damper system is the damping factor. It determines how many oscillations occur before they are not noticed anymore. The damping ratio also determines the springs reaction to the initial impulse. The goal is to achieve a damping factor of 0.2. My T1N with stock shocks had damping less than 0.1. That makes the suspension very volatile.

The initial bump gets amplified by more than 80 percent. In other words, if there's a 2" bump, the spring reacts by deflecting 3.6" and there's more than 6 oscillations that are noticeable. After installing Koni struts and Fox 2.0 shocks (damped to the max), the damping factor is now close to 0.2.

The damping ratios I mentioned are calculated from logged accelerometer measurements.
calbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calbiker For This Useful Post:
Ed463 (05-12-2019), TooMuchHair (05-12-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #13
aksotar

I didn't know there was going to be any math involved ��..... I just want to know how they "feel" when installed and if they are any better than the factory struts in a direct comparison....
already have remote reservoir Foxs in the back and Sumos in the front... may add the VC spring pack in back...
aksotar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:20 PM   #14
calbiker

I spared you the math.

The damping factor IS what you'll feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to calbiker For This Useful Post:
aksotar (05-12-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #15
OffroadHamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbiker View Post
A springs reaction to an impulse is an oscillation at the springs natural frequency. This is the same frequency as when the chassis is rocking. It doesn't matter if the spring deflection is caused by a G-out or just entering a driveway, the spring reaction is the same. The spring deflection amplitude may be different, but the oscillating frequency is the same.

The function of the shock absorber is to dampen the oscillation so that it doesn't go on indefinitely. The key unit of measure in a spring/damper system is the damping factor. It determines how many oscillations occur before they are not noticed anymore. The damping ratio also determines the springs reaction to the initial impulse. The goal is to achieve a damping factor of 0.2. My T1N with stock shocks had damping less than 0.1. That makes the suspension very volatile.

The initial bump gets amplified by more than 80 percent. In other words, if there's a 2" bump, the spring reacts by deflecting 3.6" and there's more than 6 oscillations that are noticeable. After installing Koni struts and Fox 2.0 shocks (damped to the max), the damping factor is now close to 0.2.

The damping ratios I mentioned are calculated from logged accelerometer measurements.
You are giving me flashbacks of mechanical vibes and control systems exams
OffroadHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 PM   #16
Montucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadHamster View Post
You are giving me flashbacks of mechanical vibes and control systems exams
Me too! Square root of k over m... ugh... Need a beer...
Montucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #17
calbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Me too! Square root of k over m... ugh... Need a beer...
There you go...

Square root (k over m) is proportional to the oscillating frequency. Frequency should be around 1 Hz. If the mass increases then spring constant should increase (more springs). And of course damping has to increase as there's more mass to control.

In the case of my heavy Sprinter 3500 motor home, it came with the same shocks that come with the lightest Sprinter van. What a disaster. The front end would bottom out when there's a dip in the freeway.