Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Write-Ups

T1N Write-Ups Help other T1N owners by posting your experience working on your Sprinter.

Old 02-15-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 13,332 Times in 8,459 Posts
Default 3" straight pipe exhaust - DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL posted this in another thread. It was worthy of Write-up status but became a bit cluttered. Please post info specific to the mechanics of an exhaust system here.

That Thanks goes to DRTDEVL for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTDEVL View Post
I had my exhaust guy build a custom, one-off exhaust yesterday... it took him several hours, and $500 later, I am a happy camper.

The original exhaust behind the OM647 was a 3" bell fitting on the down pipe that immediately necked down to 2.5", where it went to a flex pipe that reduced to 2.25"... and then through 2 cats, a muffler the size of a kitchen trash can, and then out the back.

Now it's a 3" bell, a 3" flex, and 3" straight pipe all the way through to a mandrel-bent 3" 45* angle tailpipe at the end. It is clamped together and has removable, color coded hangers in case I ever move somewhere that requires diesel emissions checks. He asked me to grab the down pipe off of my parts van to scavenge the bell fitting and hanger, along with making it easier to mock up a 3" replacement. The downpipe is made from stainless steel, while the rest is aluminized pipe. I'll probably give it a few days, and then clean it up and hit it with ceramic coating header paint all the way back in order to prevent any corrosion.

It kind of sounds like a deleted Cummins 6.7, only not nearly as loud. It will probably change a little more when I install the aluminum turbo resonator delete pipe and get the Green Diesel Engineering tune. My only worry thus far would be the placement of the O2 sensor bung... the sensor is about 1/8" farther out of the exhaust stream from stock. I am hoping this doesn't throw the van into confusion nor cause it to add too much fuel and kill the economy.

I'm tearing the van apart today for the 120,000 mile cooling service and the 60,000 transmission service, installing a 120a alternator, installing a power inverter, and several other smaller tasks, so it will be a couple weeks before I truly know how it runs and feels with the new exhaust. I only have Wednesdays totally off, and I don't think I will finish everything today, so it will be a week before its back on the road. I'll revisit this post with more driving impressions at that point, and again in a month when the GDE tune is added.
T1NddExhaust01.jpg

T1NddExhaust02.jpg

T1NddExhaust03.jpg

T1NddExhaust04.jpg

Quote:
It's not loud at all... It makes just enough noise that you know something has been done, but it's still one of the quietest vehicles on my block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Athouse View Post
Back on topic, I’d be interested to hear about any improvements in MPG or drive feel by doing this mod.
Quote:
It will be a couple weeks before I can report this... I only have Wednesdays off. Yesterday I pulled the radiator and intercooler for replacement, and I replaced the idlers, tensioner, water pump, injection pump, alternator, belt, fan and clutch, all hoses and boost tubes, and washer reservoir. It's not fully assembled yet. Next Wednesday, I'm replacing the horn with a super loud dual horn set from an old rv, dropping in the radiator and intercooler, servicing the transmission, rotating the tires and painting the wheels silver while they are off, and installing a power inverter... along with a bunch of minor little things. I might not be done by that night, and will have to complete it the following week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billintomahawk View Post
DRTDEVL,
The exhaust on my '01 has been modified.
To be honest I didn't pay much attention. The CAT is gone, there is a small muffler and the pipe exits the vehicle in front of the rear wheel on the passenger's side.
It was 'bus like' loud but not obnoxious. If the wind is right I get diesel exhaust in the passenger's side window if it is down and the van is stopped.

The engine runs fine and I was getting 24-27 mpg on local runs(van empty).

I'll try to get some better pics of the system when I get out of the snow(I'm headed for Florida from Wisconsin in a week or so.) I'm on crutches until March 18.

That might slow me up.

bill in tomahawk
Carry on.

vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.

Last edited by Aqua Puttana; 03-05-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Thanks vs That... Damn you autocorrect!!!
Aqua Puttana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
dill pickle (02-17-2019), DRTDEVL (02-15-2019), Nautamaran (02-15-2019), Shiryas (02-17-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 AM   #2
ClyneSnowtail

Default Re: 3" straight pipe exhaust - DRTDEVL

It was pretty good timing on this thread.
Discovered last week that the muffler was about to fall out of the sprinter, and so I ordered parts from summit racing on the company card. Found 2.5" pipe fits very nicely over the stock exhaust, so I ordered a 4 ft section of their 2.5" 16ga aluminized steel exhaust pipe, another section with a 45 degree mandrel bend, and a Walker "Commercial vehicle" 2.5" aluminized steel muffler. Part #22635 All of this was right at $100 delivered to the shop.
It took probably 10 minutes to cut all the old exhaust out, and maybe 2 hours to fab up the new exhaust. I cut the original hangers off the old exhaust and reused them to hang the new exhaust. I mocked it up and tacked it together, then pulled it back of to weld it all up. After reiinstalling it, I connected it to the original down pipe off the turbo and welded it up. Very simple and easy. Saved a bunch of time not going over the axle and just dumping it out the side. I did have to extend coming off the 45 degree with a piece of the original pipe. I shouldve ordered 2 of the 4ft sections of pipe, but it all worked out anyway.
Its a little throatier and if your standing out side and watching it go down the street, you can hear more turbo vacuum cleaner noise. It is not anywhere near obnoxious. Very happy with that muffler.
Overall a very budget friendly and Quick replacement for a rusted out stock system. We are coming into go season and wont get much down time and in fact I was barely able to spare the time I took to do it today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClyneSnowtail For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (03-05-2019), billintomahawk (03-19-2019), Matt Foley (03-19-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanks to DRTDEVL and ClyneSnowtail for the info and part numbers. Very helpful.

There's some more DIY options and parts listed in this thread.

Tail pipe
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=39756

vic
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
Old 03-19-2019, 04:34 PM   #4
billintomahawk
'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner

I've been thinking about my exhaust system because it isn't stock and I don't know anything about it. I got banged up a couple of months ago with a broken hip so this is my first crawl under the Sprinter to snap a few pics of the system. Not sure what muffler I have and t looks like the CAT is gone. Looks like someone did a nice job.

Any help with identification is appreciated.

The sound is mellow, a little deep...in no way offensive...bus like.

bill in tomahawk who is darn excited to crawl under his Sprinter here in the Florida panhandle.

Here's a little music to sum the place up.

Transporter 1 Neu 154HP
2500 140"WB, low top

Last edited by billintomahawk; 03-19-2019 at 04:57 PM.
billintomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billintomahawk For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (03-19-2019), glasseye (05-15-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Quote:
Originally Posted by billintomahawk View Post
... Not sure what muffler I have and t looks like the CAT is gone. ...
I don't see anything that looks like a catalytic converter either. Not having it won't affect your engine operation. If it isn't required for annual emissions inspection then as applies to operating, you're ok without it.

Note:
For those who may not be aware. The catalytic converter is an important part of reducing toxic emissions and maintaining the emissions controls to proper specs. The converter should never be removed. If anyone feels further environmental warning is necessary please start another thread for that input.

vic
Old 05-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
DRTDEVL

OK, I can finally report back.

Yes, it spools faster and makes more power. t definitely helps with fuel economy. Unfortunately, when loaded heavy, it is just too much noise. I had the shop put in a 36" long 3" diameter resonator on Monday, as I was getting a headache driving long distance. Its still straight-through, it just adds a larger section with some glass matting inside to reduce the volume of the resonance that was reverberating through the van's body. Before the trip, I also had them put on a black 6" diameter tip, just to spice things up a bit.

On the plus side, however, I got exactly 20 mpg towing a 93 Chevy truck on an 18' PJ Car hauler to Wylie, TX, and 23.2 mpg pulling the empty car hauler back to La Cruces, NM.
Aqua Puttana (05-15-2019), ClyneSnowtail (05-15-2019), Shiryas (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
ClyneSnowtail

Quote:
OK, I can finally report back.

Yes, it spools faster and makes more power. t definitely helps with fuel economy. Unfortunately, when loaded heavy, it is just too much noise. I had the shop put in a 36" long 3" diameter resonator on Monday, as I was getting a headache driving long distance. Its still straight-through, it just adds a larger section with some glass matting inside to reduce the volume of the resonance that was reverberating through the van's body. Before the trip, I also had them put on a black 6" diameter tip, just to spice things up a bit.

On the plus side, however, I got exactly 20 mpg towing a 93 Chevy truck on an 18' PJ Car hauler to Wylie, TX, and 23.2 mpg pulling the empty car hauler back to La Cruces, NM.
Thats what I wondered about was the noise after driving for awhile, so I put the Walker muffler on. Its also straight through so I doubt its affecting anything.
Thats really good mileage. I assume probably going 60mph on your trip? I think I get like 20mpg too but I do 80 on the interstate and near 70 on highways even up the hills in the passing lane trying to get around the 18 wheelers.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

First. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
... Unfortunately, when loaded heavy, it is just too much noise.
Remind me. Did you remove the OEM parts before the muffler too?
My 2004 with a rusted out nothin' of a muffler isn't loud, but the OEM parts before the muffler are still intact. The lack of a tailpipe might be a factor. A long(er) pipe out to the back may create a different situation for resonance.

Quote:
... I had the shop put in a 36" long 3" diameter resonator on Monday, as I was getting a headache driving long distance. ...
How did you determine 36" long? Some calculation? Space available? Experience or recommendation of a muffler shop?

My plan was/is to go to a straight pipe, but I'd rather pay for a resonator up front if needed rather than adding one after the fact.

vic
Old 05-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #9
ClyneSnowtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Puttana View Post
First. Thanks for the feedback.

Remind me. Did you remove the OEM parts before the muffler too?
My 2004 with a rusted out nothin' of a muffler isn't loud, but the OEM parts before the muffler are still intact. The lack of a tailpipe might be a factor. A long(er) pipe out to the back may create a different situation for resonance.

How did you determine 36" long? Some calculation? Space available? Experience or recommendation of a muffler shop?

My plan was/is to go to a straight pipe, but I'd rather pay for a resonator up front if needed rather than adding one after the fact.

vic
Those 'other' exhaust parts will indeed make a difference in the noise level. Taking them off will make it louder. If you leave them on you could probably get away without a muffler or resonator.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClyneSnowtail For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (05-18-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
DRTDEVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClyneSnowtail View Post
Thats what I wondered about was the noise after driving for awhile, so I put the Walker muffler on. Its also straight through so I doubt its affecting anything.
Thats really good mileage. I assume probably going 60mph on your trip? I think I get like 20mpg too but I do 80 on the interstate and near 70 on highways even up the hills in the passing lane trying to get around the 18 wheelers.
65-70 the entire way.

I just got to Minnesota last night, pulling my overweight enclosed trailer. I got a scale ticket when I was an hour out due to curiosity, and I was around 15,000 GCW. No axles were overweight, but the transmission is likely unhappy with the combination. Overall? 17 mpg, with lots of headwind and crosswind.
Perce (05-21-2019)