Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups

View Poll Results: Fixed Bed Height for Bike Storage Clearance
32 in 0 0%
34 in 4 14.81%
36 in 12 44.44%
38 in 5 18.52%
40 in 3 11.11%
42 in 5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll | Withdraw Vote

Old 11-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
cyotani

Default Poll: Fixed Bed Height for Bike Clearance in Garage

I'm planning out a fixed bed garage build and want to be able to fit a pair of bike underneath. I am not an avid mountain or road biker (just yet) but I'd like to plan the build to be able to accommodate this feature just in case.

What is a good bed height to accommodate your typical mountain bike setup with front wheel removed and seat post removed? I know the hardcore long travel bikes will be taller, but I'm thinking more your 80th percentile mountain bike.

I've read anywhere from 36" to 42". But when I've measured a few bikes and it was closer to 32"

example bike tray:
https://faroutride.com/slide-out-bike-rack/

I've attached my current layout with 36" tall bed and a random bike off grabcad and have plenty of clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36in CAD bike clearance.jpg (49.7 KB, 355 views)

Last edited by cyotani; 11-03-2018 at 06:37 PM.
cyotani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
ENMeyer

Default Re: Poll: Fixed Bed Height for Bike Clearance in Garage

I'll go measure mine, but it all depends on what bike YOU have, not mine. Measure from floor to top of saddle with front wheel off, if that's how you'll store them.

If you only take mountain bikes, you could use a dropper post seatpost and compress that down and save many inches of garage height. It is very nice NOT to have to drop your seat each time you load the bike, but it's not a horrible trade off for a lot more sleeping room up above.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
gltrimble

39-41” bed height is my sweet spot. Just high enough for most fixed seat posts to clear and enough head space in the bed to sit upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by gltrimble; 11-03-2018 at 05:14 PM.
gltrimble is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gltrimble For This Useful Post:
Mickyfin (12-02-2018), Obliged (11-04-2018), StevenP (11-04-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #4
mtbkers

Our old van (high roof) we had the bed at 39" for all mountain bikes with dropper posts and front wheels off (we could sit up fine in bed and we definitely had more than enough clearance under the bed). If you have road bikes, without droppers or you want to leave wheels on (look for Brian Lopes van online), you may have to go higher, but it's still doable.

My husband (5'11) has a large Santa Cruz 5010, and with the dropper down, it's just under 35". Maybe you should measure your tallest friend's bike (just in case you ever want to take him/her on a trip with you)?

Our current van we're using an Adventurewagon MOAB bed with adjustable height as we have a low roof. It's an option. An expensive option.

Last edited by mtbkers; 11-03-2018 at 10:12 PM.
mtbkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #5
radair603

I think 34" will do it for most MTBs with wheel off depending on your fork travel (dropper posts assumed, because they are like having 3 bikes in one). We went with 42" because we are willing to give up some headroom to be able to leave the front wheels on.
radair603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
gltrimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltrimble View Post
39-41” bed height is my sweet spot. Just high enough for most fixed seat posts to clear and enough head space in the bed to sit upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those looking closely at the install pictures above do not use my grab handles as a height reference. I shortened the rear grab handles approximately one inch and lowered them slightly to clear the bed panels. They are mounted using 5/16” rivnuts with one of the holes being an empty existing factory hole. This avoids having to notch my custom bed panels to clear the grab handles. The lower grab handle height actually works out better on my 4x4 which now sits 3-4” higher than stock.

When deciding on bed height I had two choices: 1) spend 30 seconds removing the front wheel on the bike. 2) spend 8 hours in a cramped bed. Easy decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by gltrimble; 11-05-2018 at 04:25 PM.
gltrimble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #7
mtbkers

Just wanted to add an update for anyone who may be thinking of getting a MOAB bed from Adventure Wagon. We have a low roof and have spent the last year investigating various bed set ups (the van height/length/bed/bikes/dirtbikes/dog/fridge/sometimes passengers, tetris game), where everything seemed to be just a few inches wrong. We managed to find a two person bench seat, so that gave us a little more room to play around with and we have six floor mounts, so we can move the bench seat forward if the bed is deployed, or move it back if only two panels are in place (the third panel sits snugly on top of the middle panel).

Yesterday we installed the bed. And it's freakin' awesome! I don't care what anyone says about the price. It's worth every cent. Because the bamboo is so strong, it's not as thick as regular ply, so that already shaves half an inch of the height of a bed. We bought two sets of rails and plan to keep one up high to quickly move the bed panels out of the way, rather than unscrewing a set of rails and moving them up and down.

Here's some pics. We managed to get the top of the bed down to 35" as the underside of the bed isn't solid, so the bikes can be put in at a slight angle and then upright when in it's bike mount. This is leaving us with 29" of headroom (not including the Exped mats, which will take a couple of inches away from the overall).

Hope this helps someone else who may have bought a low roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0529.JPG (114.8 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0528.JPG (103.1 KB, 374 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0532.JPG (91.3 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0540.JPG (103.7 KB, 356 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0542.jpg (85.4 KB, 365 views)

Last edited by mtbkers; 11-05-2018 at 06:54 PM.
mtbkers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mtbkers For This Useful Post:
wquek (04-13-2019)
Old 11-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #8
Midwestdrifter

Thanked 6,060 Times in 3,798 Posts

I would suggest sitting on the mattress you intend to use. Have someone measure your sitting height from the ground. Add an inch or so, and use that. Being unable to sit-up in bed can be annoying.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #9
ThomD

Here is our 4 bike setup (work in progress). For us (5' 4" to 5' 8"), road bike seats are taller than handlebars. The MTB have dropper posts, so their seat height is not a concern.

While we do not plan to build a bed platform, we have put some thought into it. Everything is a trade off and we decided that our minimum clearance would not mandate the ability to sit up in bed. Instead we went with "lie on you back and stick your arm up". The minimum clearance for us is the ability to put you hand flat on the ceiling. That should give enough clearance to roll over without hitting your head.

Our two bike setup does not remove the front wheels, but does mean the bikes are taller. Early prototype:

https://youtu.be/ssLwxF0yJLU
ThomD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
radair603

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltrimble View Post
When deciding on bed height I had two choices: 1) spend 30 seconds removing the front wheel on the bike. 2) spend 8 hours in a cramped bed. Easy decision.
Do you sleep sitting up? Many modern thru-axles do not have quick releases and you have to put your front wheels some place, so your simplistic reasoning falls short. Lack of headroom is a drawback but it depends on one’s priorities. Having spent decades in pop top Westfalias we are very used to having limited room in bed.
radair603 is offline   Reply With Quote