Sprinter-Forum    
 

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter RV's & Conversions Write-Ups


 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Occidental, Ca.
Posts: 6,774
Thanks: 1,151
Thanked 4,185 Times in 2,384 Posts
Default Re: Orton DIY - Floor

Did not want the weight of 3/4" rubber so stall mats would not work. The 3/8" thick rubber is heavy enough that it does not need anything to retain them. The mats also have a sealed surface.
__________________
Sold 2008 diesel NCV3 144" WB high roof DIY conversion
2015 gas Transit 148" WB high roof for another conversion
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:46 PM   #22
bstory
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 424
Thanks: 32
Thanked 230 Times in 136 Posts
Default Re: Orton DIY - Floor

We also went with the 3/8" rubber flooring and it has worked out very well for over four years. Easy to cut to fit with a box knife and straight edge so long as you have something firm under it - old piece of plywood is what we used. Final trimming can be done in place but I cut all the big pieces outside. It is very heavy but that is part of what makes it good - it doesn't curl up or move at all. No adhesive or tape to hold it down - just one edge taped - at rear doors. But you could use a metal edge or custom wooden threshold or something similar there if you need it. We never have.

Just sweep it off and then it cleans up like new with a wet rag and some dish detergent or spic and span.

Nothing slides around anymore and it provides both sound and heat insulation and feels good underfoot both for us and our doggie.

We got it from: http://www.floormatcompany.com/eleph...-flooring.html

Here is pic of the slider entrance showing the mat prior to our building in the galley area - on our first trip to New Mexico in 2009.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sliderentrance.jpg (270.6 KB, 316 views)
bstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:23 AM   #23
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Occidental, Ca.
Posts: 6,774
Thanks: 1,151
Thanked 4,185 Times in 2,384 Posts
Default Re: Orton DIY - Floor

The reason for posting the info on the "gym mats" is to avoid the high shipping costs of rubber floors due to the weight and need to ship by truck. The "gym mats" may be available locally without the high shipping costs.
My current conversion uses 3/8" thick reclaim rubber that I bought from a local flooring company. It does not have a sealed top surface so does show the dirt. The "gym mat" has a nice sealed top surface without the white flecks which should be easier to clean.
__________________
Sold 2008 diesel NCV3 144" WB high roof DIY conversion
2015 gas Transit 148" WB high roof for another conversion
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:02 AM   #24
travelrooky
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Orton DIY - Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite Dave View Post
Another thought on floor. If someone did not want to do the amount of work with 80/20 that I have done, just bolting down wood 2x4's using countersunk longer bolts at the D-ring locations would allow filling between the 2x4's with rigid insulation. Then install a second wood floor to cover on top of 2x4's or just fill in between as I have done with the 80/20. The 80/20 works great if you want to bolt other structures to the floor. I am about 2/3's the way done with the other structures and find that it works well and is very rigid. I am going to bolt the top of the shower enclosure to the roof but that is not required because the structure is rigid without attaching to the roof. Bolting to floor and a few bolts to the side walls give a very rigid structure. If it was a four legged structure then just bolting it to the floor would be all that is required.

Graphite Dave, new member here and very much agree with the 80/20 flooring supporting brackets method youve built, but for cost savings, would it be okay to use 80/20 for the floor but wooden cabinets/shelves that could fasten to the brackets? Seems like good idea but what would be the drawback?




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
travelrooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:32 AM   #25
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Occidental, Ca.
Posts: 6,774
Thanks: 1,151
Thanked 4,185 Times in 2,384 Posts
Default Re: Orton DIY - Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelrooky View Post
Graphite Dave, new member here and very much agree with the 80/20 flooring supporting brackets method youve built, but for cost savings, would it be okay to use 80/20 for the floor but wooden cabinets/shelves that could fasten to the brackets? Seems like good idea but what would be the drawback?
Should work fine. What is the reason for not using 80/20 for the cabinets? Much easier to build cabinets out of 80/20 than with wood IMO. Maybe you are very skilled with wood?

One advantage of the 80/20 that I found was the ease to bolt something anywhere along the length of the extrusion. They make nice clips for tie-wraps to attach electrical cords. Bolted a lot of stuff to the 80/20.
__________________
Sold 2008 diesel NCV3 144" WB high roof DIY conversion
2015 gas Transit 148" WB high roof for another conversion
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #26
travelrooky
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 8
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Orton DIY - Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite Dave View Post
Should work fine. What is the reason for not using 80/20 for the cabinets? Much easier to build cabinets out of 80/20 than with wood IMO. Maybe you are very skilled with wood?



One advantage of the 80/20 that I found was the ease to bolt something anywhere along the length of the extrusion. They make nice clips for tie-wraps to attach electrical cords. Bolted a lot of stuff to the 80/20.


Ha no not very skilled in the carpentry but just weighing pros and cons at this point.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
travelrooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:53 AM   #27
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Occidental, Ca.
Posts: 6,774
Thanks: 1,151
Thanked 4,185 Times in 2,384 Posts
Default Re: Orton DIY - Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelrooky View Post
Ha no not very skilled in the carpentry but just weighing pros and cons at this point.
I have some ability at woodworking. Using 80/20 (or its competitors) was much easier for me than building with wood. I also like the modern look of the 80/20 with wood.

80/20 can get expensive if you have 80/20 cut it, use their connectors and fasteners. IMO their connectors are not ideal for the application. Better to make your own. The link below includes pictures and drawings on what I used. Some 80/20 but most fabricated.

http://www.ortontransit.info/testeighty4.php

Some pictures of the 80/20 cherry wood combination:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...&postcount=134
__________________
Sold 2008 diesel NCV3 144" WB high roof DIY conversion
2015 gas Transit 148" WB high roof for another conversion
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:06 AM   #28
Wyuna
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 50
Thanks: 17
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default Re: Orton DIY - Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite Dave View Post
I have some ability at woodworking. Using 80/20 (or its competitors) was much easier for me than building with wood. I also like the modern look of the 80/20 with wood.

80/20 can get expensive if you have 80/20 cut it, use their connectors and fasteners. IMO their connectors are not ideal for the application. Better to make your own. The link below includes pictures and drawings on what I used. Some 80/20 but most fabricated.

http://www.ortontransit.info/testeighty4.php

Some pictures of the 80/20 cherry wood combination:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...&postcount=134
Some real good info those links Dave

For those that don't have decent cabinetmaking skills, this makes it easy to make up square framework.

Im a Cabinetmaker by trade, so i stuck to what i know.
Wyuna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wyuna For This Useful Post:
Graphite Dave (08-10-2018)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.