Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Roadtrek

Old 10-02-2014, 07:18 AM   #41
option7

Default Re: 2014 Roadtrek CS Adventurous - after 4500 Miles

Just a note on the mileage you can get from a Sprinter van. Getting 20+ miles per gallon was only with the 2006 model year amd earlier since it has a 2.7L Turbo Deisel. I get about 18mpg when I am typically average 70-75 mph on trips. I can get over 20 easily when I average 60-65 mph. The 2007 models and later increased the engine displacement from 2.7 to 3.0 so fuel economy was reduced by at least 10%. I would expect the best milage you could get on a long trip would be 18 mpg.
Unfortunately, unless you tow a boat or toys with your Sprinter you really don't need the extra horsepower/displacement and are better served to get better mileage.
Of course the option for "gas" instead of Diesel is just ignorant since the gas engine will get worse mileage and will have at least 50% less lifetime with fuel that typically costs more than Diesel at truck stops.
I have a 2007 AI (2006 Sprinter) and happy with the smaller motor. The propane gen and the solar panel/batteries are the best combination rather than rely on the engine gen only. I just wish the generator was diesel so the generator could be used for longer periods.
I reserve my propane to run my refrigerator, hot water & heat when dry camping and stay within the solar/battery resources to use any electronics, LED lighting, TV, sound system, etc.
Sounds like the E-trek is not worth the money when it doesn't allow you to run the AC. At least with a propane gen and the engine gen you have two choices to use AC when AC on batteries is not a realistic option.
option7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #42
Davydd

The E-Trek concepts are appealing for boon docking or dry camping. It makes your B useable identically the way you would use it if plugged into shore power. Your 120v plugs work, you can make coffee in your usual coffee maker, you can use your microwave, etc., and you can do all that without needing to fire up a noisy generator. In many dry camping campgrounds where Bs can go and other larger RVs can't usually will be intermixed with tent campers. Generator use is obnoxious in that situation to your neighbors if not out and out banned or severely restricted in hours useable. If you are trying to be stealth elsewhere, running a generator is not smart. The few times we have run our generator our preference was not to be in the B.

I admit I am a northerner so air conditioning is not as critical as many make it out to be. In the upper Midwest woods or anywhere along Lake Superior it would be a rare day to need air conditioning and going south late fall, winter and early spring as we do, air conditioning is rarely needed. Then if prolonged use is needed or imminent it makes a lot more sense to simply seek an electrical hookup campground. Being cooped up inside a B with the air conditioner on is no joy. Being inside with an air conditioner on and generator running below you to me is pure torture to question why even bother. To me the air conditioning aspect is the least of my worries. Where does it come in handy? If traveling with a pet and you want to stop mid day somewhere an E-trek system is more than adequate to run an air conditioner for a couple of hours or even more with few worries about batteries.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davydd For This Useful Post:
msdsman (04-01-2017)
Old 10-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #43
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,869 Posts

Runtime of things like microwave ovens or heated appliances on batteries is very limited, and then you need power to recharge just like any other system. At that point idling your engine for hours won't gain you any more friends than running a generator.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #44
Graphite Dave
Dave Orton

Thanked 4,750 Times in 2,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by option7 View Post
The 2007 models and later increased the engine displacement from 2.7 to 3.0 so fuel economy was reduced by at least 10%. I would expect the best milage you could get on a long trip would be 18 mpg.

Of course the option for "gas" instead of Diesel is just ignorant since the gas engine will get worse mileage and will have at least 50% less lifetime with fuel that typically costs more than Diesel at truck stops.
Couple of errors here.

Fuel mileage is not directly proportional to displacement. There are many other variables that affect the mileage. My 08 3 liter V6 now averages 19.5 mpg with the 2200 lbs of conversion for a payload. Before conversion when empty it averaged 20 3/4 mpg.

The only thing "ignorant" about the gas vs. diesel comparison is the diesel advocates refusal to consider all the additional costs associated with a diesel. When determining the overall operating costs of a diesel, one has to include the cash value of the higher initial purchase price, cost of DEF fluid, high cost and quantity of low ash oil, cost of fuel filter changes and the added maintenance of the additional hardware/software to make the diesel pass emission requirements. It is not a simple decision bases only on mpg. For some the diesel is the correct choice but for many others who do not drive lots of miles/year, the diesel is a more expensive choice. For some a gas engine is the least expensive overall cost. Depends on the application which is the best choice.

Current diesel cost in my area is 30-40 cents/gallon higher than gas.

It is true that diesels usually run longer than a gas engine before an overhaul. The problem with that statement is it costs more to overhaul a diesel. Also if you have an engine failure the diesel has a much higher replacement cost. Gas engine may last half as long as a diesel but it costs half as much to replace. Seems to me that is about equal cost.

Your T1N is not the same as current diesels. Keep it as long as possible because it is simpler and gets better mpg than the newer clean diesels.

Web Site: http://ortontransit.info

U-Tube Video: https://youtu.be/h5L6TZdy_y0
Graphite Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Graphite Dave For This Useful Post:
miskolci (11-20-2018)
Old 10-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #45
Davydd

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Runtime of things like microwave ovens or heated appliances on batteries is very limited, and then you need power to recharge just like any other system. At that point idling your engine for hours won't gain you any more friends than running a generator.
Not that limited. It is nice to heat a cup of water in about a minute in a microwave for a cup of tea. That's a draw down of a couple of amps. Anyway, I have an analysis of my design which I suspect I would rarely if ever idle my engine. That feature would strictly be an emergency backup.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #46
smiller
2008 View J (NCV3 3500)

Thanked 3,128 Times in 1,869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Not that limited. It is nice to heat a cup of water in about a minute in a microwave for a cup of tea. That's a draw down of a couple of amps. Anyway, I have an analysis of my design which I suspect I would rarely if ever idle my engine. That feature would strictly be an emergency backup.
OK, but the point was that it would only take the same few amps from any house battery system. And if your power needs are such that you rarely if ever need to charge the batteries while stationary that's great, but in that case the E-Trek is an especially expensive answer to a problem you didn't have.

I have no aversion to high tech and if anyone is in a situation where whatever advantages are provided justify the expensive and complexity then it's a good option. I'm only questioning how often that really is for most people, and whether a low-tech solution might work just as well. But agreed it may or may not depending on individual circumstances.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 PM   #47
Davydd

It is more than batteries. You also have to have a high capacity inverter to power your 120V outlets and microwave. I've been low tech with our B for a decade. My interest is being able to stop for a night and still have 100% use of everything in my B the same as if I was plugged into shore power. I'm not interested in being frugal, turning off lights. limiting TV, not plugging in my computer and not having the use of my B's appliances in a dry camping situation. I'm old enough to remember people living in houses with no indoor plumbing but a kitchen hand pump and with outhouses. Sure, it can be done but why if you don't have to?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #48
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
Check out leevalley.com and look at their cupped rare earth magnet sets. They claim 32 lb. hold with 1" and 56 lb. with 1 1/4".
Still waiting to show me(us) of how one attaches this magnetic latch set to the shower pan or ceiling moulding without stumping your toes or gashing your scalp!

cheers...
hiker man (10-02-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #49
Mein Sprinter
2010 Roadtrek SS Agile

Sorry for this brief hijack...davidmbecker....just wanted to chime in regarding the bathroom door latch where many have similar complaints and Roadtrek is switching to the magnetic door latches. No one here has yet as far as I know installed one and showing results.

Got tired of waiting so I decided to lick the problem sans magnetic latch.

This is the latch as installed in previous Roadtreks.

By removing you can see of how poorly Roadtrek fastens appendages to cabinetry within the interior: directly ramming in screws without first counter drilling for a smooth clean attachment.

Decided to butcher the latch and turn it into a cam latch. Removed the latch and hammer "bend" the end to make it shorter and become a cam.

The shortened lever "cams" against the screw holders tab thus making it a tight fit..can be pressed further downwards if desired.

See the shortened cam latch now... polished it; trimmed it; it's now a steadfast anti-rattle latch. Works great... The fastening screw is still there but not used..it's loose; just in case it's needed but doubt it

cheer...

Last edited by Mein Sprinter; 10-05-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Mein Sprinter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mein Sprinter For This Useful Post:
diamonds (10-17-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #50
gte
2008 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein Sprinter View Post
Sorry for this brief hijack...DavidMBecker....just wanted to chime in regarding the bathroom door latch where many have similar complaints and Roadtrek is switching to the magnetic door latches. No one here has yet as far as I know installed one and showing results.

Got tired of waiting so I decided to lick the problem sans magnetic latch.

This is the latch as installed in previous Roadtreks.

By removing you can see of how poorly Roadtrek fastens appendages to cabinetry within the interior: directly ramming in screws without first counter drilling for a smooth clean

Decided to butcher the latch and turn it into a cam latch. Removed the latch and hammer "bend" the end to make it shorter and become a cam.

The shortened lever "cams" against the screw holders tab thus making it a tight fit..can be pressed further downwards if desired.

See the shortened cam latch now... polished it; trimmed it; it's now a steadfast anti-rattle latch. Works great... The fastening screw is still there but not used..it's loose; just in case it's needed but doubt it

cheer...
Very creative solution Mein. So far mine works okay with the thumb screw, but when I get tired of remembering to tighten it, I may use your model. Thanks
gte is offline   Reply With Quote