Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Great West Vans

Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
CleanLivin
Clean Livin

Default 2012 EX - satellite?

This weekend we traded our 2011 Roadtrek SS Agile for a 2012 GWV Ex.
Totally happy with the feature of the rig. Got the Tech option and the Power Package.

We plan to full time for at least a year, living in resorts on occasion to break up with time in the EX.

Question:
Has anyone installed on their GWV Sprinter body a satellite dish?
If so, experience, brand/model suggestions?

Thanks,
Jack
CleanLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Tuktu
2010 Regency GT, Triple E

Default Re: 2012 EX - satellite?

Hello Jack

We are looking at the EX and it is very impressive. Maybe it is too early but have you had a change to play with all the new electronics yets. The model we were looking at had the solar panel and 4 batteries. Is this the same as yours? We are hoping we can increase the panels and change the generator to a Honda (semi portable 80 lbs). How are you likeing the unit it so far?

All the best in your travels

Shane
Tuktu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #3
CleanLivin
Clean Livin

Hi Shane,

First, we find the GWV Legend EX to be dramatically better built than the two RoadTrek SS Agiles we previously owned.

Next, we just got back from a 3 day trip - trial shakedown run to see what we like/dislike about actually living in it. (Our plan is to travel for my photography obsession for 2-3 years in it.)

Like - the solar panel/4 house batteries. The panel does a great job of recharging the batteries after a night of use running the roof top exhaust fan, TV etc while dry camping. We stayed in FL so we had to use the gen set during the day to run the A/C - was glad it was there as it got up to 88 outside.

Like - Layout is great compared to the Interstate we were considering. The passageway down the galley is wide enough to get by my wife while she is preparing a meal - not so in the Interstate.

Like - shower was adequate compared to the RoadTrek (I'm a little over 6'4" tall).

Like - the diesel hot water/furnace setup!! This is a great feature and worked perfectly.

Like - Quality of the installed Alpine stereo is excellent - however the Nav sucks - see below.

Dislike - the steel wheels and stainless hub caps. The steel wheels and metal hub caps are not what I recommend. I will be changing out ours to Alcoa Alum wheels in the immediate future.

Dislike - Alpine GPS Navigation. I own the Garman Nuvi 2460 GPS and it is dramatically better at route calculation and guidance! Plus it's voice command is flawless and when you say "voice command" you get a listing on the screen of recognized commands so you don't have to remember everyone in the exact contax that the Alpine is recognizing. Thus I will be using the Alpine screen for the backup camera feature only and the Garmin for my trip navigation needs.
(Now I need to figure out how to have the Alpine screen display the camera feed at all times.

To Do - add Winegard Sate and Direct TV. Still working on how to have Tivo in the van - may not work as Tivo at home gets its program guide off our home router/internet feed.

PS: The van was at Mercedes of Naples, FL for almost 3 weeks while they tried to get the tires balanced. Went through one set on Continentals, the 4 sets of Michelins before they realized that their RoadForce balancers could not balance the tires. Took tires to a heavy truck shop and they balance out OK, but not great. My belief is the S/S caps over the metal rims with the Doran Pressure sensors make balancing a bear. Also I cut one finger to the bone on the rear wheel cover while trying to add air pressure to an outside wheel!! The edges of the holes in the S/S hub caps are razor sharp so be careful. Also, they used cheap plastic valve extenders for the inner rear tire - I will replace with better as the one on the rear passenger side has been leaking.

I'M STILL LOOKING FOR INPUT ON SATELLITE SYSTEMS AND ADDING THE CELL PHONE BOOSTER. Plan right now is the Winegard Traveler with Direct TV. Not sure about brand of cell phone booster to add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuktu View Post
Hello Jack

We are looking at the EX and it is very impressive. Maybe it is too early but have you had a change to play with all the new electronics yets. The model we were looking at had the solar panel and 4 batteries. Is this the same as yours? We are hoping we can increase the panels and change the generator to a Honda (semi portable 80 lbs). How are you likeing the unit it so far?

All the best in your travels

Shane

Last edited by CleanLivin; 03-19-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
K-9 SPRINTER

Thanked 1,404 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanLivin View Post
I'M STILL LOOKING FOR INPUT ON SATELLITE SYSTEMS......
I dont know how much room is on your roof from GWV. I have this, in motion satellite , from KVH http://www.kvh.com/Leisure/RV-System...Vision-A7.aspx It works great .. (they do have other models )(check the details of what ever model/brand you get , they dont all get the same amount of channels, some only work while parked!!!!) I get over 300 (direct tv)channels with the model I have, and passangers can watch tv while driving
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010024 a.jpg (68.9 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg P1010025 (2).jpg (47.3 KB, 109 views)
Conversion by Sportsmobile(Texas) to a RV/kennel ... Full Kitchen, 50 gal fresh/25 black/25 gray ,15000 btu 110 AC, 32000/BTU rear AC w/engine driven compressor, maxx air vent, D4 espar, marine toilet, shower, 5-8D batteries, Powertec generator, solar panels, in motion satellite tv, side/front/rear cam system, running boards, custom outside led lights,
Alcoa wheels

Last edited by K-9 SPRINTER; 03-19-2012 at 02:44 PM.
K-9 SPRINTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
CleanLivin
Clean Livin

K-9,

Thanks for the input.
That certainly is a low profile unit!

I've read that the in-motions do not work as well as the Winegard Trav'ler models and that they do not get HDTV signals.

Apparently you have not had any problem with yours picking up signals?
As we will be in many National and State parks the ability to pull out a signal where there is tree cover is important - thus need to strongest signal acquiring dish.

I did not this footnote on KVH's web page:
"3 Low-profile (flat) domes are ideally suited for in-motion operation and may experience rain fade from pooling water in some stationary applications. Dry conditions must exist for stationary operation. "

Thus if just camped for the day when it's raining I assume watching sate TV would be out of the question.

Jack

Last edited by CleanLivin; 03-19-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
K-9 SPRINTER

Thanked 1,404 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanLivin View Post
K-9,

Thanks for the input.
That certainly is a low profile unit!

I've read that the in-motions do not work as well as the Winegard Trav'ler models and that they do not get HDTV signals.No HD , but Apples to oranges... Winegard Trav'ler models are stationary, ( you must be parked) KVH is in motion (it was worth giving up the few HD channels to get up 300 channels, while driving at highway speeds) The dogs love the animal channel (250 more choice's then on direct tv on air planes)

Apparently you have not had any problem with yours picking up signals? No , not really... theres the same problems ,just like at home, you know HEAVY RAIN at home, some, if not all channels go out, for a bit. Theres been times at home (I get HD ,on my home sat) lost reception cause of heavy rain/clouds, ran out to the sprinter and had a pic!!! For direct TV, they broadcast in 2 bands (only 1 is hd) http://www.kvh.com/Pages/HDTV/TracVi...V-Service.aspx
As we will be in many National and State parks the ability to pull out a signal where there is tree cover is important - thus need to strongest signal acquiring dish.

I did not this footnote on KVH's web page:
"3 Low-profile (flat) domes are ideally suited for in-motion operation and may experience rain fade from pooling water in some stationary applications. Dry conditions must exist for stationary operation. " I dont think the sprinter has a pooling problem on the roof, I think their talking about flat roof buses, campers, etc

Thus if just camped for the day when it's raining I assume watching sate TV would be out of the question. ........ no worse than if at home , and if tree/cover is the problem,... drive/move the van a few feet, not like your gonna get wet or anything

Jack
Conversion by Sportsmobile(Texas) to a RV/kennel ... Full Kitchen, 50 gal fresh/25 black/25 gray ,15000 btu 110 AC, 32000/BTU rear AC w/engine driven compressor, maxx air vent, D4 espar, marine toilet, shower, 5-8D batteries, Powertec generator, solar panels, in motion satellite tv, side/front/rear cam system, running boards, custom outside led lights,
Alcoa wheels

Last edited by K-9 SPRINTER; 03-19-2012 at 06:20 PM.
K-9 SPRINTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
pattonsr

Hi Jack,

You said you have the Power Package and Technology Package. Yet you mentioned interest in a cell phone booster. I thought the Technology Package included a cell phone booster with inside and outside antennas.

Do you know who makes the 4 6volt AGMs and what the total amps are?

What is the model number of the Dometic fridge? GWV says it is a 3 way and 6 cu ft but I can not find any Dometic fridge that matches those specs.

Here are some ideas that I had planned to use with an Airstream Interstate. GWV says they will replace the closet behind the driver's seat with a lower cabinet. I am thinking of a second tv on top of the cabinet and two Directv DVR's with a Windgard Traveler. Also a Blu-ray player if the entertainment center is not upgradable to a Blu-ray. A Monospace 4x2 HDMI powered switch allows the 4 HDMI inputs to be sent to the two HDTV's in any combination. The cabinet will house the equipment. The DVR's are RF so no problem putting them in a cabinet. I will swivel a front seat to watch the tv. So when Idol is on I have a place to go to watch something else.

Is there any other place to hang clothes if I lose this closet?

Barry
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
CleanLivin
Clean Livin

Hi Barry,

First, we took a shot trip in the Legend EX recently - the frig in auto mode did a great job of cycling between propane, 12 volt and 120volt on it's own. Frig stayed cold all the time.

Next, I have not idea who makes the 4 batteries. Mike at GW should be able to answer that.

Salesmen was wrong, we do not have the Technology Pkg. However, we have the Alpine GPS which sucks compared to our Garmin unit. Therefore I'm having a my own cell signal booster installed. Looks like I'm going with the Maximum Signal "Small RV" package with the CradlePoint CBR400 router.

Will have Camping World drop the roof antenna cable into the RV at the same time they install the satellite dish, thus one less hole in the roof.

Jack
Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
CleanLivin
Clean Livin

As I understand it, Winegard Trav'ler roof top dish is feeding signal into the GWV to a Dish/Direct RV Set Top box, then signal fed to the TV.

Where are others mounting/locating the "set top box" inside the GWV?

In looking at our interior layout (Legend EX), about all that is available is the end of the kitchen counter closest to the rear of the rig. That gets you close to the TV but a long run from the roof sate mounting location.

Ideas for placement of the Set Top Box?

Jack
Old 03-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Davydd

I posted my solution for using an iPad for GPS in the General Forum. If you missed it, it is here:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum...ad.php?t=20101

If you already have an iPad it is a less expensive and better solution than buying a standalone unit. If you don't have an iPad it should still be a less expensive and better solution than buying a navigation package option for GPS.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote