Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > T1N Sprinters > T1N Talk

T1N Talk General Discussions related to T1N Sprinters.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #111
SkyGypsy

Default Re: T21 Recall for OM647s - Recommended Dealerships

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanski View Post
I had two Sprinters I was registering, one which already had the recall completed, the other I had to come back for after getting it started and getting the smog done. Although I didnít get the second registered on that first trip, they did start the process. Perhaps the person at the dmv accidentally notated both vehicles as being completed.?.? Although when I left she gave me a printout showing t21 was required to finish registration in CA. With the first one they definitely took the salmon colored recall proof of correction and filed it. The second they handed it back to me and said it wasnít needed but that I should keep if for my records. And now I have another I need to renew with smog cert but the renewal notice doesnít say anything about the recall.

I will not hypothesize the inner workings of Ca dmv...
On the printout I received they noted I needed some things, and she hand wrote the recall dealer slip in there. Guess I'll be taking care of it anyway.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:07 AM   #112
sebtown

I had the recall completed on my 2006 Freightliner at Santa Rosa Mercedes. Mine required a new ECU which extended the repair by a couple of days. Santa Rosa Mercedes has a dedicated Sprinter division.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:35 AM   #113
chris118

Well I am just learning all the information on the recall. I got my registration renewal slip with the need for the t21 recall to be done.
Getting a quick education on this recall

Walnut Creek dodge told me to call hilltop, they don't do the recall anymore.
Called Hilltop Dodge today 10/7/19
The instrument cluster part has been discontinued.
Because of this Hilltop is no longer doing the recall service(at least not the 2004's) as they will not be able to get a part to take care of the possible needed repair.

The guy at Hilltop gave me the Chrysler corporate number. Was on hold as they searched for a dealership near me (San Francisco Bay area), was on the phone for an hour.
They opened a case # for me and said that if I can find someone to do the work they would reimburse the costs.

If there is no way to get the recall service done, do you think there would be some kind of waiver I could get from the DMV? or is that just dreaming...?

Last edited by chris118; 10-08-2019 at 01:45 AM.
chris118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:46 AM   #114
sikwan
06 T1N Can

Thanked 1,836 Times in 840 Posts

What a pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris118 View Post
If there is no way to get the recall service done, do you think there would be some kind of waiver I could get from the DMV? or is that just dreaming...?

You're right at the cusp of the "cluster out of stock" dilemma. I'm sure you're not the only one. You'll need to talk to the DMV and try to escalate as no one really has a good answer (for now).
sikwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:54 AM   #115
chris118

Well, I will let the forum know where this goes...registration is due at the end of November
Old 10-08-2019, 08:12 AM   #116
P8ton

Sorry to ask but cant seem to find an answer after searching the thread; Best Dealership for the recall in Los Angeles area?? 2006 Dodge

Thanks

Peyton
P8ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:58 AM   #117
Ovation1001

Iam from the Los Angeles area but drove to Cole Dodge after the first dealership(Russell Westbrook) was basically useless and refused to do anything besides a reflash of the ECU, then claimed that the MAF was not covered under the recall. They wanted to charge me $1100 to replace it.

I called Cole Dodge, they said if I could make it up there they would change it and that it is covered under the recall. They were very professional and nice, as far as I'm concerned they are the best, well worth the drive. Give them a call.
Ovation1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ovation1001 For This Useful Post:
desertdog (10-20-2019), P8ton (10-14-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #118
SkyGypsy

If you are in Santa Cruz, South County Gilroy was pretty quick with my 2005 and no issues afterward. Make sure you go to the diesel truck center not the normal maintenance garage.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:33 AM   #119
P8ton

To follow up, Russel Westbrook on Van Nuys took my appointment for the recall on my 2006 Dodge, but when I arrived there at 7:30 this am, after scheduling over 10 days ago, I was informed that they "Don't have the machine to do the Recall."

To be fair, the appointment was setup by a remote operator and not the service guys, but it would have been great to know that ahead of time!!!
The service guys recommended Rydell in San Fernando, and the manager was able to accommodate me same day, even though their receptionist said they "Dont do Sprinters".
Done in less than 4 hours.
P8ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #120
MagicBus
Designer of Magic Bus

Jack Powell in Escondido (San Diego metropolitan area) highly recommended for T21 recall work !

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (“DMV”) sent to me a “Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice” for my 2005 Dodge Sprinter 3500 SHC. To renew I needed to provide (a) renewal fees, and (b) Proof of Correction certificate for the T21 Manufacturer Recall, and (c) SMOG certification, and (d) it all must be returned by MAIL only.

For those of you living in, or near, the San Diego metropolitan area, I can provide helpful information.

First, I took my van to Jack Powell Chrysler Jeep Dodge for the T21 recall. I dropped it off on a Monday at 10:30 am and the work was completed on Wednesday at 3:30 pm. They provided a loaner car, in my case a nice Dodge RAM pickup truck. They have one technician dedicated to performing T21 recalls. All went well. No parts were required. I encountered no problems after the recall was implemented. Best of all, all of this was FREE! If you need a T21 recall I highly recommend this dealership. I left the dealership with a pink paper card entitled, “FCA US LLC, Vehicle Emission Recall – Proof of Correction”. I’m not sure if this was filed electronically with anyone.

Second, I took my van to a STAR Station Smog Check at 2909 Damon Ave, San Diego, CA 92109. It has 488 Google reviews and a 5-star rating. I’m a repeat customer. I had no appointment. The first thing I learned was that the California DMV BLOCKED my vehicle from accepting electronically transmitted smog data! I proceeded with the smog test, passed, and took the paper printout of the smog certification with me. The smog test cost $70. They don’t accept coupons for Sprinters. The whole process took about 30 minutes. I highly recommend this smog station.

Finally, I compiled my paper documents, which included the T21 Proof of Correction, smog certification, check for payment, and MAILED it to the DMV before the December 31, 2019, deadline.

I hope this information is helpful to those Sprinter owners living in, or near, the San Diego metropolitan area.

Links:
https://www.jackpowell.com/service-center/
http://starstationsmogcheck.info

Jon Whitledge
www.magicbus.biz
designer/builder of the Magic Bus
MagicBus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MagicBus For This Useful Post:
HelloPitty (11-15-2019)