Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Leisure Travel Vans > Unity

Old 07-19-2017, 09:04 PM   #1
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,085 Times in 582 Posts
Default Mercedes Diesel Recall -- Uh-Oh!

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/18/news...ons/index.html
Old 07-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
charlievette

Default Re: Mercedes Diesel Recall -- Uh-Oh!

From reading the recall notice I suspect it can be taken care of at your next Mercedes service.
charlievette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:17 PM   #3
Danarbor
2017/2018 Unity Twin Bed

According to an article in today's Wall Street Journal Mercedes had started to implement the "upgrade" to the engine's emission software in some engines in March of this year. I have a 2017/2018 UTB sitting at LTV and it's expected to ship to my dealer within the next two weeks. I of course am interested to know if my Sprinter had the software update prior to being delivered to LTV. I placed a call to LTV to see if they knew if my unit had the update. I spoke with Darrell in the service / warranty department and he was unaware of the voluntary recall. Darrell asked if I had any more information about the recall so I sent him the link to the CNN article. True to the LTV reputation for customer service he said he would find out what he could about my unit and then get back to me. The CNN article referenced the recall being in Europe while the WSJ article made no reference to either Europe or North America.
Danarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
Judge3rd

The article I read said MB was upgrading the software to meet US emission requirements when the engine is cold. Evidently this is a MB quick fix. In addition to my 2017 TB Unity I own 3 cars with the same engine, from 2009 to 2016. MB has not sold any diesel cars in the US for the 2017 year model. There was consideration by MB of pulling from the US diesel market. This upgrade move is encouraging that MB will continue with diesel cars in the US, which helps Sprinter owners serviceability.
Jim
Judge3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #5
stevehar
2015 Thor Siesta 24SR

Here is a link for Mercedes recalls. https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/recall
Don't count on the manufacturer of the RV to contact you for recalls. Thor never contacted me for a door wedge recall, found out about it when I was @ a MB dealer buying oil.

Looks like the latest recall is for 3 million MB's in Europe
The Following User Says Thank You to stevehar For This Useful Post:
Aqua Puttana (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #6
Normand

Will that recall be a new flash program to reduce horse power to be within specs as Ford did with the insane 6.0l engine.
Normand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
ptheland
2013 144" low top Passgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlievette View Post
From reading the recall notice I suspect it can be taken care of at your next Mercedes service.
Probably not at your next service. Or mine. The recall is for Europe, not the US.

And Mercedes is not calling it a recall. It's a "service upgrade" that will reduce emissions.

2013 144" wheelbase, low roof passenger, with wheelchair lift in side door (soon operational, but not yet cosmetic)
ptheland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:21 AM   #8
Scarecrow
2017 LTV Unity Murphy Bed

Thanked 1,085 Times in 582 Posts

Yep. I think the story I posted was for Europe. But other articles allude to the US following suit at some point. I only posted this because, now, the games begin. The more troubling news was certain countries and cities banning diesel, altogether -- which might be old news from 2016 and not specifically related to the Mercedes investigations.

Interesting tidbits I read today include...
"The company was also asked by the U.S. Justice Department in April of 2016 to conduct an internal probe into its exhaust emissions certification process. Mercedes spokesman Robert Moran in the U.S. said the internal investigation is ongoing. The company has stopped trying to get its diesel cars certified by the Environmental Protection Agency for use in the U.S., but continues to sell the 2017 model diesel Sprinter commercial vehicles. The Justice Department and EPA would not comment."
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...oubts-48705439

And...
"Mercedes has no plans to extend the action beyond Europe."
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...oubts-48705439

And...
"Though Daimler did not immediately announce any recalls for the U.S. market, that could come soon. U.S. regulations on diesel emissions are stricter than European standards." -- I suspect THIS will change.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...all/488389001/

And, especially this...
"Europe Is Dead Serious About Killing Off Diesel Cars"
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...f-diesel-cars/

My questions are:
1) Why are Sprinters, somehow, ignored up to this point? Is it because Commercial Vehicles are "exempt" due to the commerce at stake?
2) Can action against Mercedes be far behind in the US?
3) If you attack small Commercial builds like Sprinter, aren't the large Tractor Trailers a greater target?
Old 07-20-2017, 03:41 AM   #9
aarpskier
2017 LTV Unity FX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehar View Post
Here is a link for Mercedes recalls. https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/recall
This link seems to relate to safety recalls. Does it also cover service recalls? Or is there another site for those?
aarpskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
SiennaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehar View Post
Don't count on the manufacturer of the RV to contact you for recalls. Thor never contacted me for a door wedge recall, found out about it when I was @ a MB dealer buying oil.
I don't believe that Thor, as an upfitter, is subject to the same recall laws that vehicle manufacturers are. Maybe others here would know. In any case, I'm one of those crazy folks who always makes sure that the manufacturer of my vehicles knows where I live, just in case of a recall. If I move, I let them know. It certainly doesn't mean that the company will have a fix for the problem, but at least they have no excuse for not contacting me.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SiennaGuy For This Useful Post:
martytroop (10-09-2017)