Sprinter-Forum    

Go Back   Sprinter-Forum > Sprinter-Based RV's & Conversions > Sprinter-Based RV Brands > Great West Vans

Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Quanyin

Default Electric Heat

Does anyone know if the Legend EX has electric heat that runs off of an AC connection? The diesel heater in our EX keeps us toasty, but if there is a way to take advantage of the AC service when connected, I think we'd like to do that to cut down on noise and fuel consumption.
Thanks,
Paul
Quanyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
david_42

Default Re: Electric Heat

The 15,000 BTU A/C has a heat-strip.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Davydd

The heat strip on the AC is standard on the Great West Vans. However, I don't think you are going to solve your noise concern. The AC is loud whether cooling or heating because of its blower which I think is louder than our propane heater. The heat strip is 1,500 Watts no different than one of those small electric ceramic cubes you can buy at Target or Walmart for less than $20 that has a quieter fan. When we are plugged into shore power our preference is to use the ceramic cube. It is the quietest choice and it can be moved around and aimed where you want it. We put it on the kitchen counter.
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #4
Quanyin

Thanks to both of you.
Yes, the air conditioner unit is rather loud, but I can say it was music to our ears this summer in the Dakotas! It cooled things down rather quickly and kept them that way throughout the night.
We have a couple of the ceramic cube heaters around and will put them aboard for fall excursions.

On another subject but not worthy of another post, we have found that Brompton folding bikes fit very nicely underneath the tri fold sofa.

Paul
Quanyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Aqua Puttana
Poly - Thread Finder

Thanked 14,083 Times in 8,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
...no different than one of those small electric ceramic cubes you can buy at Target or Walmart for less than $20 that has a quieter fan. When we are plugged into shore power our preference is to use the ceramic cube. It is the quietest choice and it can be moved around and aimed where you want it. We put it on the kitchen counter.
I agree completely. It's amazing how much heat they put out (or maybe how little is needed for my van) to keep the van comfortable.

Not that anyone asked...

If you are purchasing a heater I would strongly recommend a Pelonis brand like this.

pelonis.jpg

Pelonis Heater 4-Disc Ceramic Furnace B-6A1

The temperature control has a feature which slows down the fan as it approaches setpoint so once the van is warm the fan speed is low and very quiet. FWIW. vic
Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm. Publilius Syrus
"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't." HaWiiLuVeR
16 ounces of unnecessary prevention can be worth a pound of manure.
Aqua Puttana is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aqua Puttana For This Useful Post:
Old Crows (10-09-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
david_42

Downside of those little heaters: when one of your greyhounds plants his butt in front of it - lower air flow and additional aromatics.
Aqua Puttana (10-09-2012)