4x4s Trickling in to U.S.?

eradikate

Outside Van posted three photos yesterday on Instagram of a 2019 4x4 they just took delivery of, saying it was the second one to arrive in the U.S. and “the first of many more to come this summer.” Hope they’re right.

zither99

WOW, finally! The demand for the 4x4's is insane. I wonder if we are at the PEAK of #vanlife movement or it's still growing.

Sctn

2019 170 4x4 Crew-SMB West
Interesting. I’ve read on this forum so much goofy stuff slowing delivery, like the led headlights not arriving until July...this one at outside vans has them. I have to say I’m envious of this customer.

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
They get the first because they are Fleet customer and a certified upfitter. Just perks of ordering dozens of vans a year

erik.wahlstrom

Talked to my dealer today. He said it would take 12+ months to get one. He could get one but it would take a long time. Incidentally, and I’ve not idea if this is true! He said MB was talking of an AWD model at some point (2020 or 2021) which wouldn’t have low range and wouldn’t have a lift.

I still want to find a slot to rover a 148” crew van.

JIB

Talked to my dealer today. He said it would take 12+ months to get one. He could get one but it would take a long time. Incidentally, and I’ve not idea if this is true! He said MB was talking of an AWD model at some point (2020 or 2021) which wouldn’t have low range and wouldn’t have a lift.

I still want to find a slot to rover a 148” crew van.
I placed a 4x4 order a month ago, slated for May production. The only thing the dealer would say is that MB said delivery from SC would be no later than October. Personally, I don't quite follow the timing logic from production to delivery, but he would not discuss anything more detailed.

I was #2 on his list for 6 months. When he got a notification from MB that he had a 170 4x4 allotted, #1 was not ready yet, so I grabbed this dealers first 4x4 delivery.

Jack

erik.wahlstrom

I placed a 4x4 order a month ago, slated for May production. The only thing the dealer would say is that MB said delivery from SC would be no later than October. Personally, I don't quite follow the timing logic from production to delivery, but he would not discuss anything more detailed.

I was #2 on his list for 6 months. When he got a notification from MB that he had a 170 4x4 allotted, #1 was not ready yet, so I grabbed this dealers first 4x4 delivery.

Jack
Which dealer? Seattle? Any idea how long his list is?

Spoke to Warner Vans today. They are the only stand alone sprinter dealer in the country. They said they are months away from getting any delivered. Have a bunch of allotments waiting in line. He said when it is your turn you don't get to choose what body style. You just get to choose options. LOL. What a crock from Mercedes.

sanomechanic

Interesting. I’ve read on this forum so much goofy stuff slowing delivery, like the led headlights not arriving until July...this one at outside vans has them. I have to say I’m envious of this customer.
Several dealers have short roof cargo models with LED headlight packages and heated power seats. No other packages included.Kinda like tits on a bullfrog far as I'm concerned

sanomechanic

These are actually available?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Yes..I checked one out in Arctic White short roof at MB Laguna Niguel..Orange County Ca....The LED head lamps are very nice and there is a LED strip across top of headlamp for daytime running lights. VERY TRICK. Power seat are just like a car with controls on door panel

battleborn

for those that are getting the first batch of the new 2019 4x4's I'm guessing your paying full retail for these vans ??? with the 4x4's in such high demand I wonder if dealers are gouging buyers ?? I'm sure there is no shortage of people who will pay anything to get ahold of a 4x4 unit. Locally I have recently met two people who have dumped MB for Quigley Ford Transits - it will be interesting to see how this situation (no Sprinter 4x4's available) works for MB long term. Makes sense that supply and demand dictate the price and I think its great to make money if you have a high demand product which allows you to make more profit- however, from a marketing standpoint it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out in two to five years.

VanGoSki

I hit two different dealers when I was naively thinking I could just stroll in and order a 4x4. Dealer A pretty much lost interest in me as soon as I said I wanted a 4x4, saying they have an 18 month lead time. He told me they do sporadically get in 4x4's on allocation and said they'll go for over 8 to 10 grand over list. Dealer B said they just happened to have a unit on order with a June build date from a cancellation and that I could have it at list price. I took it!!

grantwilson

FreedomVanGo
for those that are getting the first batch of the new 2019 4x4's I'm guessing your paying full retail for these vans ??? with the 4x4's in such high demand I wonder if dealers are gouging buyers ?? I'm sure there is no shortage of people who will pay anything to get ahold of a 4x4 unit. Locally I have recently met two people who have dumped MB for Quigley Ford Transits - it will be interesting to see how this situation (no Sprinter 4x4's available) works for MB long term. Makes sense that supply and demand dictate the price and I think its great to make money if you have a high demand product which allows you to make more profit- however, from a marketing standpoint it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out in two to five years.
no gouging. but list price for sure.

I got one for 52 and one for 57.

Just like the NCV3, you wont get a deal on them

eradikate

Was just informed by my conversion shop that MB just informed dealers that it will be producing only 10% of the 2019 4x4s they anticipated producing and that if your order was not assigned an actual production slot by MB, you will not be getting a 2019 and will be rolled over into the 2020 order bank. My order has been in since November, 2017. I was shut out of the 2018s and had to wait for ordering to reopen for the 2019s. I ordered the 2019 in September of last year. Now I am shut out of the 2019s. I am told that production of 2020 4x4s will commence this August. Who knows whether that is true or not. Will be looking seriously at the new AWD Transit. Very disappointed.

VanGoSki

Was just informed by my conversion shop that MB just informed dealers that it will be producing only 10% of the 2019 4x4s they anticipated producing and that if your order was not assigned an actual production slot by MB, you will not be getting a 2019 and will be rolled over into the 2020 order bank. My order has been in since November, 2017. I was shut out of the 2018s and had to wait for ordering to reopen for the 2019s. I ordered the 2019 in September of last year. Now I am shut out of the 2019s. I am told that production of 2020 4x4s will commence this August. Who knows whether that is true or not. Will be looking seriously at the new AWD Transit. Very disappointed.
That's nuts. Was your order through the conversion shop, or direct from an MB dealer? I've got a message into my dealer for any information on this and will let you know if I hear anything.

Last edited:

eradikate

Technically through the conversion shop but through a dealer they’ve always used to order numerous Sprinters every year.

VanGoSki

Technically through the conversion shop but through a dealer they’ve always used to order numerous Sprinters every year.
Something doesn't seem right here. You should have gotten a production date a long time ago. It sounds like the upfitter has some sort of a loose agreement with the dealer and is not placing actual orders. I'm not sure exactly when the production date is assigned, but my dealer showed me a list of them that all have production dates. (I'm buying some else's cancellation, so I skipped the whole ordering process.) Ask them for the PO# from the dealer for your van. I'll bet there isn't one.

Top Bottom