Photo resizing program needed

Kid347

Can someone please recommend a cheap or free program to resize photos, my phone is hit or miss and I can't seem to find anything inexpensive for win 10. I would like to share more picks for my 2003 restoration.

Brian.

I'm an amateur photographer who likes to have a Lot of control, for batch resizing I use Fotosizer (http://www.fotosizer.com/) ~ it's free but nags every time you open the program. Very simple to use but has some nice features regarding How it's resized (percent, pixels, dimensions). Good enough I haven't even looked for another option in a number of years.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Windows10 includes "Paint", which can resize photos/images.
(it's what i use 98% of the time, and i've posted hundreds of images to the forum)
If you right-click on a .jpg file, you get "Open with..." as a menu choice.
Mouse over that and Paint may/should be one of the choices.
Once *in* Paint, there's a Resize choice on the top menu bar, and it will display/perform based upon percentages or pixels, your choice.
Adjusting the width automatically adjusts the vertical to maintain the aspect ratio (unless you untick the choice box).

PaintResizeExample.jpg
(example produced with Paint)

Another free program is Google's Picasa, which also includes a handy image viewer
In the Picasa editor, there's an "Export" choice on the bottom right of the screen... that's the easiest way.
Picasa produces smaller file sizes than Paint.

--dick

Last edited:

slvmart

If you have a Windows based computer, Paint will do it. The software should have come with the computer. If not, I see that someone posted a link. The resizing works well, I've used it often, even though I have Photoshop. The Resize is under the "File" Tab.

pfflyer

If you are taking pictures on your phone, email the pictures to yourself. Before the file is sent, the program will ask what size file you want to send and medium works on this site.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
If you are taking pictures on your phone, email the pictures to yourself. Before the file is sent, the program will ask what size file you want to send and medium works on this site.
This varies with phone, camera resolution and version of software.
My Android 4.2 phone offers 4 sizes: original, large, medium (30%), and small (10%) from a 13mp camera.

Medium is a bit over 1200 pixels, so i still have to reduce the photo by a third when it arrives at the PC.

--dick

Sometimes I'm slow. :bash:

When using MS Paint I recently figured out an easy way to check whether a photo will post. Open the picture, select re-size, click the Pixels option. Under 900 seems to be fine for posting. I find pictures around 400 - 500 are decent size when posted.

Apologies if the above was covered earlier.

Paint 3D vs old Paint... I lead an old Dan. I'm not up to speed with Paint 3D. Every time Windows updates they seem to hide Paint on me. It is still found in accessories. Once used, it stays with the top list... until the next upgrade.

:2cents: vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
As mentioned above, i'm also a fan of the "old" Paint.

As part of my most recent Win10 update, there was a message saying that the *next* update would *remove* Paint.
..but went on to say that the old Paint could be retrieved/loaded from the Windows Store (for free).

Meanwhile, i really should create a post like #4 above for Paint 3D (which i loathe... yes, it does some things that Paint never could, but they're not things i particularly want to do)

The main reason i've never chosen Photoshop or Photoshop Elements for my usual level of picture-twiddling is that they're sooooo dammmmmnnn slooooooowwww to start up.

--dick

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Try IrfanView. Free, versatile and good editing features. Resizing is straightforward with several options, including pixel width/height.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Hmmm... i just did a warm-up run-through with Paint 3D ...

...and i have to admit it has (at least) one useful feature that plain old Paint doesn't:
... the ability to rotate to any angle, instead of only 90 degree steps.
(they had "simply" hidden the Rotate too well...)

Maybe it's time to reconsider.... :thinking:

--dick (i wonder if they have a "quality" adjustment? (for shrinking the file size (to get under 500 Kbytes))

autostaretx

Erratic Member
How to resize in Paint 3D:

In words:
(a) In File Explorer, right-click on the image file and choose "Open With ... Paint 3D"
(b) after it opens, click the "Canvas" icon along the top
(c) in the right-margin Canvas menu change the Width to 900 px or less
(d) hit the "Enter" key or click anywhere else and the change will happen.
(e) save the result as an Image file (not a Project)

... a short-cut for (e) is to click the upper-right-corner X to exit Paint 3D
... it will prompt you to save the file, click Save.
Done

as pictures ((b) through (d)):

Paint3dResize.jpg

--dick (where's my "That was Easy!" button?)

Last edited:

rollerbearing

Try IrfanView. Free, versatile and good editing features. Resizing is straightforward with several options, including pixel width/height.
Another vote for IrfanView. It's fast, tiny, and yet powerful. Installs and uninstalls quickly and easily.

I've been running ongoing updates of it since Windows 98.

Resize, rotate, crop, sharpen, resample, draw, color correct, bright, contrast - good combo of paint like and photo shop like tools.

Last edited:

Top Bottom