2020-001 codes before, P0088 codes after maintenance

JitneyBead

Background on my vehicle:
2007 MERCEDES-BENZ 316 4X2 4325 (906.635)
Freightliner badged 170wb high top.
212k miles
Fleet vehicle/regular maintenance/Used for stop and go deliveries
Had been sitting two years after rolling off fleet before I bought it at auction.

Drove it directly to Freightliner service well known locally for a tech check. Recommended repairs included:
Replace driveshaft (bad vibrations and U-joint bangings)
PM – A Service Oil and Filters etc (black fluids, old fuel filter)
Transmission service (too low to even check)
Replace transmission lines (leaking)
Replace battery cable (corrosion, 14.2v at alt/13.2v at starter)
Other consumables

CEL was on at time of pickup. In the report, the tech noted “A stored DTC was 2020-001 Rail pressure monitoring via pressure valve – the rail pressure is too low for the closed pressure regulator valve.”
The truck seemed to run okay but with so much else wrong (esp. drivetrain) it was hard to tell what was normal.

So I replaced the drive shafts.
Did a full transmission service including replacing cooling lines
Did a fluid and filter change – oil, air, coolant and fuel filter.
All seems well after this service. No leaks and engine tested pretty well through the RPMs, but I’m new to the vehicle and not sure what is normal.
Seemed to lack power at times, sluggish throttle response, able to get up to 70mph but takes awhile. Even small hills require a downshift and a downshift on a flat doesn’t seem to generate a “torquey” response just higher revs. (I realize this may be torque converter related, maybe not engine related.)

So.. back to the Stored DTC... and my symptoms.

Today, the iCarsoft MB-2 arrived in the mail. It’s a great little tool and I read the stored scans – the 2020-001 LOW PRESSURE was still on there, plus a low battery code and another minor one.
None of this was surprising, so I cleared them all and hoped for the best.
After a minute or two of idling – I gave it some throttle and got the CEL.
Ran codes again and this time it’s a
P0088 – Fuel Rail System Pressure – TOO HIGH.
Went for test drive and the code keeps returning. Some times it’s while accelerating, but has also tripped on a decell.

i'm thinking the P0088 is the 2010-001 disguised by the cheaper scanner? Side note, if its throwing the 2010-001 i don't know how to access the MB specific codes in the MB2, yet. Any help configuring this to do so would be appreciated.

I’m attaching a couple of live captures to show the rpms and the fuel pressure readings – I think I saw it spike up to +12000, but here captured around 10700, most of the time the readings were between 5k and 9k. I don’t know what that means, just providing input.

Caveat A – I have not replaced the Y cable yet, but it is on order. Perhaps this P0088 is related, but I would think I’d throw other codes besides.
Caveat B – I’ve changed the fuel filter – let it prime three times before starting. I sorta inspected the fuel lines at the time, but not too closely. But I also don’t smell fuel strongly from the engine bay anywhere.

The question (FINALLY) is:

A) What are the most likely causes of these codes? The low pressure 2020 that was stored and the now present P0088?
B) What are the next logical steps to repair? Get a good pressure reading, but from where on the NVC3? I can almost see Dennis typing “injector test” but I’d like to avoid that testing cost if at all possible.
C) How concerned should I be for driving and testing with these codes? Where would I see impact – mpg? Losses of power as I’ve described? Injector failure? I haven’t experienced LHM with this vehicle, yet.

I think this is a solid van that needs some TLC for sure. Obliviously I'd like to avoid major outlays - injectors and pump would put this at a break even value - but understand what's needed is what's needed.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Jitney

Attachments

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Before doing anything else, wait until you get the Y-Cable replaced.

Also, don't forget to check/clean the engine to chassis ground strap and quick disconnect near the accelerator pedal.

Once the system voltage is at ~14V+, then check for DTCs.

D

Deleted member 50714

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

This is the stud for the disconnect near the accelerator peddle. There's a bulletin on removing and cleaning the stud.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom