Fitting double DIN in a T1N.

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Fitting double DIN audio system in a T1N.

Not for the faint hearted, if you cant take a saw to you dash to fit a DDIN audio system or radio then I suggest you look away now. :laughing:

I bought a double din radio after looking underneath the top dash cover as I knew it could be done after some hacking with a jig saw.

The Sprinter is only for holiday use so it was no big deal to cut into it.

I bought off Ebay an under dash double din radio housing and used that to house the radio.
The housing came from this mob, http://carampsonline.com/

Some pics.

Dash cut out 1.

Dash cut out 2.

I glued some foil in there in the hope it would provide some insulation from the sun.

I jacked the front up a bit to better the viewing angle.

I had to cut off this corner of the housing so the dash would sit down correctly.

Back view.

Last edited:

Nice. But you angled it the wrong way!!! :lol:

I notice that you lose the top vent(s). How did you cap off those duct openings?

vic

DoubleDINa.jpg

DoubleDINb.jpg

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
So, I have to ask. Why not just buy a motorized flip screen unit? Same features, factory look, no cutting, keeps the air vents, retains resale value.

Last edited:

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
If you would have seen the way this ex-ambulance was hacked to pieces by the ambulance mob prior to me buying it when they removed all the gear from it then you wouldnt be too worried about resale.....
Plus I got the Sprinter for a good price .

I didnt like the look of the single dins. :idunno:
I also figured that if I was to resell the Sprinter all I need to do is buy some dash pieces.

Last edited:

If you would have seen the way this ex-ambulance was hacked to pieces by the ambulance mob prior to me buying it when they removed all the gear from it then you wouldnt be too worried about resale.....
Plus I got the Sprinter for a good price .

I didnt like the look of the single dins. :idunno:
I also figured that if I was to resell the Sprinter all I need to do is buy some dash pieces.
My answer to the rampant rust spots on my 2004 was brushtone grey porch paint. It very well may affect resale value, but that is not a concern for my situation. Not for everyone, but it worked for me.

Not that you asked...

The T1N upper dash vents are first in line so given a lack of flow resistance they dump out a bunch of air. Those vents are also installed after the condenser coil and before the heater core. You could lose lots of air into the dash chamber to do nothing if they aren't capped off.

Do you have A/C? If yes, and you have the head unit out again it might be worthwhile capping the ducts or at least reducing the opening down. Otherwise your cool air may not make it into the cabin area where needed.

vic

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
Here in the states you would fit right in to the Red Neck crowd. That is just an awesome way to destroy your dash.

I like the ventilation theory too. Use the A/C and heat to ventilate the radio.

Necessity is the mother of destruction.

If it works for you, you go boy.....:rad:

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I cant believe the way ppl are getting so upset about a piece of plastic? :thinking:
Why bother with the dash at all? Go for the naked look. Nothing will roll off the under dash hardware.
I considered mounting double din in back and use remote.
You could have mounted it overhead.

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Why bother with the dash at all? Go for the naked look. Nothing will roll off the under dash hardware.
I considered mounting double din in back and use remote.
You could have mounted it overhead.
Dont worry I did consider all of the above.
Mounted in back makes it hard to change cd's or to accept phone calls.
I have other plans for overhead.

The naked dash almost won over, it still may.....:smirk:

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
I suppose it should be no surprise that you bough a new stereo and it takes CDs:lol: Why not go all out for an 8 track?

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
I mean, the iPod was launched in 2001! That was 14 years ago!!! It pretty much killed the CD upon introduction

Top Bottom