Simarine Pico - modern touchscreen battery monitor & tank level display

Mickyfin

I have been planning on buying the Pico blue package, and associated sensors for fresh, and grey water tanks, plus my two 220v aux batteries, plus I wish to add solar monitoring if possible. Has there been any software updates wince your install to iron out those minor issues with the UI etc?

atoine

ROBZR: I have a PICO on order now :)

Are you aware of any ultrasonic sensor (top installed outside the tank) that I could use to monitor my Nature's Head urine bottle? The bottle is plastic, it's about 14 inches high and 10 inches wide: http://store.natureshead.net/p/28-Nature-s-Head-Extra-Liquids-Bottle.aspx

Sensors I found must be installed away from the tank walls and since the Nature's Head liquid bottle is quite small, it's hard to find a sensor for that.

Thanks!

robzr

Yes, known-good quality cells are only assured from the top makers **and** a trusted supply channel.

Otherwise a roll of the dice.

And the internal BMS without comms to outside controls can be very limited.

But I am skeptical of BMSs too, would want to see the spec sheets and user docs on that ECPC unit.
Yeah... in this price range, I wouldn't be looking for a ton other than something reliable, with reasonable limits for protection. The Renogy is so new I haven't seen any feedback on the quality of the cells or the BMS, so it was definitely a roll of the dice.

At least with buying discrete cells and BMS, if something goes wrong, it's not all in one throw-away package though. Also with an external BMS like the ECPC one you could still make your own measurements of (and test) each cell. The Renogy is just a disposable black box with a prorated 5 year warranty. For us, the Renogy (or homemade) were the only options other than AGM. A Battleborn or comparable 100 Ah wouldn't be enough and we couldn't justify the price for two. If it keeps working like it has been for at least 5 years I think we'll be happy with it.

We're close to our GVWR at load, and we dropped about 100 lbs by going from 2 Fullriver DC115-12. Saving about 2 cubic feet was a sweet bonus as well.

Rob

robzr

I have been planning on buying the Pico blue package, and associated sensors for fresh, and grey water tanks, plus my two 220v aux batteries, plus I wish to add solar monitoring if possible. Has there been any software updates wince your install to iron out those minor issues with the UI etc?
Yeah, they have been issuing updates, not as often as I'd like, but there does seem to be steady movement. Some of the quirks have been addressed, and the SoC monitoring has been working well as far as I can tell. None of the features I've asked for have been added but I won't hold that against them :D The iOS app hasn't crashed on me in a while which was irritating - but that may just be because I haven't been playing around in the settings as often now that it's getting dialed in.

For the 99% use case - it being there when I need it, showing me the main battery SoC and charge/discharge rate, the draws on the sub panels, the charger output, temperatures, tank levels - it's been rock solid. And the hardware is beautiful. Wide viewing angles, good resolution, brightness is good, it's super lower power draw... it's a pleasure to use really, and people are always impressed when they see it. It'd be hard going back to anything else I've seen (including the Victron Color Control GX which I also had, and really wanted to like).

Rob

robzr

ROBZR: I have a PICO on order now :)

Are you aware of any ultrasonic sensor (top installed outside the tank) that I could use to monitor my Nature's Head urine bottle? The bottle is plastic, it's about 14 inches high and 10 inches wide: http://store.natureshead.net/p/28-Nature-s-Head-Extra-Liquids-Bottle.aspx

Sensors I found must be installed away from the tank walls and since the Nature's Head liquid bottle is quite small, it's hard to find a sensor for that.

Thanks!
Congrats! I think you're going to dig it. It's the flashiest and coolest bit of geek-bling we have in our ride :) Don't hesitate to post any questions or ideas you get here.

So the manual for a BEP TS1 it says you need 150mm (6") from the centerline to a tank baffle or wall - so the smallest possible tank you could use it in would be 12" diameter if you installed the sensor directly in the center.

I don't know anything about composting toilets, but they do make resistive slide-and-float based sending units that have a baffled cover to keep toilet paper and solids from interfering with the float, designed for blackwater tanks. It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper. You could get one with an SAE 5 hole flange, install it as close as you can to the center of the tank, and if it doesn't work out you always have the option of switching to a ultrasonic if you find one that would work.

Keep us posted on what you end up with and how it works out!

Rob

robzr

A few months ago I pulled the trigger on a Bewis BWK220 voltage-output dual axis inclinometer. It ran me $80 on eBay, and they go for $70 on Aliexpress. This was the best option I could find at a reasonable price point that works with the Pico.

The build quality is very nice, it's solid, reasonably small, with good quality wiring. It was pretty easy to install, I bolted it to a flat surface, wired up ground & voltage supply (rated at 12-35v), and then two output wires for 0-10v measurements went into voltage sense inputs on the Simarine SCQ25T. The Simarine software is a little quirky here, when trying to figure out which axis is which it didn't always respond to me changing settings. But once I got it going it seems to be working well.

It's 0-90 degrees, .2 degree accuracy with .02 degree resolution. The Pico displays .1 degree accuracy, so it's plenty. We don't use wheel chocks, so really it's only useful to settle "no I think our head is higher than our feet" type "disputes" with the wife :tongue:

Rob

A few months ago I pulled the trigger on a Bewis BWK220 voltage-output dual axis inclinometer. It ran me $80 on eBay, and they go for $70 on Aliexpress. This was the best option I could find at a reasonable price point that works with the Pico.

The build quality is very nice, it's solid, reasonably small, with good quality wiring. It was pretty easy to install, I bolted it to a flat surface, wired up ground & voltage supply (rated at 12-35v), and then two output wires for 0-10v measurements went into voltage sense inputs on the Simarine SCQ25T. The Simarine software is a little quirky here, when trying to figure out which axis is which it didn't always respond to me changing settings. But once I got it going it seems to be working well.

It's 0-90 degrees, .2 degree accuracy with .02 degree resolution. The Pico displays .1 degree accuracy, so it's plenty. We don't use wheel chocks, so really it's only useful to settle "no I think our head is higher than our feet" type "disputes" with the wife :tongue:

Rob
Hi Rob,
Does the Pico display the Inclinometer readings like in this vid:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=932416926908928

or is it just the numeric values?

I guess Simarine don't sell there own Inclinometer yet?

Where did you place yours? Does the Inclinometer always give you a true reading, or is it possible to install it on a non-level surface and then calibrate the zero/level point (if that makes sense!)?

Cheers,
Jack

robzr

Hi Rob,

Where did you place yours? Does the Inclinometer always give you a true reading, or is it possible to install it on a non-level surface and then calibrate the zero/level point (if that makes sense!)?

Cheers,
Jack
Hi Jack - they do not sell one... I assume that inclinometers are more widely used in sailing (?), as the Pico was originally designed for boats. Not sure about that though. Yeah the display shows either lines or the RV icons displayed in the video, plus the measurement. I installed my inclinometer back by my battery bank on some wood that is pretty close to square with the floor of the van. Once it's installed you do have to find level ground and then calibrate it on the pico. The way the Pico implements it, for each axis (pitch & roll) there is a zero point (voltage at flat level), a sensitivity (millivolts per degree movement) and a setting for linear (I assume linear means the mv/degree is constant; but non-linear would require a trigonometric calculation to turn a force vector into an angle). As long as it's linear the actual mounting should be pretty forgiving, the one thing that would probably be important is to make sure the axis's are aligned pretty well, ie: it's square with the pitch & roll axis of the van.

From what I can tell, analog output on a inclinometer is a legacy standard, probably dates back to old mechanical/analog sensors. The Bewis uses a MEMS sensor (solid state, multi axis accelerometer), converts the digital measurement is converted to analog voltage... then the Pico sensor reads the voltage and converts it, so it's kind of roundabout, but it seems to work just fine.

Rob

trousered

You mention having a couple SC301 shunts. I see the one wired in there in that picture for the leisure battery bank and can understand its place in determining the SoC etc. Where is the other fitted? To the starter battery?

robzr

You mention having a couple SC301 shunts. I see the one wired in there in that picture for the leisure battery bank and can understand its place in determining the SoC etc. Where is the other fitted? To the starter battery?
I haven't fitted it yet, but it's going in the engine compartment to monitor the OEM auxiliary battery. With the Kisae DMT-1250 I can use about 50% of the AUX, to charge the LiFePO4 and it's been working like a champ.

Rob

robzr

robzr, Have you looked at Victron's new CanVu GX with touchscreen yet, just wondered what you thought about it?

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2019/03/05/announcing-the-new-canvu-gx-information-you-can-touch/

Thanks man, I rely on guys like you, my son and hundreds of hours of research to try to select the coolest system possible.
:cheers:
Thanks for sharing that link, I haven't seen this before. Looks like a nice upgrade to the Color Control GX, but still looks like a pretty different approach from Simarine. They both use CANbus which make sense, as it was developed for automotive wired sensor/controller applications, so it is a good match. Would be nice to see a more standardized approach to it, which I think is what NMEA2000 more or less is - Simarine has allegedly been working on NMEA2000 support (this would allow third party NMEA2000 compliant sensors and peripherals to interact with the Pico).

Couldn't find detailed specs, but the new GX has a larger 4.3" vs simarine's 3.5" display - I've never found the Pico lacking in screen real-estate, but more is usually better. No mention of technology, resolution, etc... the Pico is IPS, capacitive touch with gorilla glass - at best the GX might match that. If the construction is anything like the Color Control GX, it would be a step down from the Pico. The Pico is damn close to Apple-level quality hardware.

The approach from Victron and Simarine is pretty different. Victron sells these panels more as a single hub/centralized remote display that coordinates the control of their various components. To monitor batteries, you still need to buy a dedicated battery monitor for each battery. This is fundamentally different from Simarine Pico's role as the central processor with remote sensors - a Simarine shunt is much cheaper than a Victron monitor + shunt. On the other hand, the Victron can integrate (display & control) their products (inverter, charger, bm...), the Pico monitors but does not control more generic sensors, voltage, amperage...

With Victron it seems more all-or-nothing, you would want to use it with a Victron MPPT, Victron inverter, Victron charger, Victron battery monitors. To use a resistive sending unit (like what I have on my propane tank, water tank, grey water tank) Victron resells a VE.Can tank sensor adapter - costs $384 and only does one sensor. The Simarine ST107 is $100, has 4 resistive inputs, 3 voltage inputs and a relay for control. Victron's offerings for the RV market seem limited, they dont' have anything like the Kisae DMT-1230/1250. So on the hardware side, the Victron is less open, more proprietary, more expensive, and their product offerings are not well aligned with the camper van market.

Oddly, on the software side, it's the opposite. I'm a Linux Engineer, and one thing that initially intrigued me about Victron's approach is that their GX controllers run an open source Linux variation (Venus OS). They seem to encourage development and even use by non-Victron controllers oddly enough. They sell LoRa integrations for inexpensive/free long-range mesh networking. But after looking at it briefly, the hardware lock-in, high cost, low quality and functionality of the Color Control GX was too much for me to get over. All else being equal, an open source, open-access OS implementation is preferable BUT all else is never equal and this is a good example. The Victron is going to draw more power, because running a full OS like Linux has a lot more overhead than the embedded firmware (think Arduino) approach Simarine has taken. And with the closed hardware on the Victron side, I'm not sure I see the benefit. It's a weird strategy, feels to me like their hardware and software strategies are out of sync with eachother.

The Pico on the other hand runs a minimalist closed-source "OS" (arguably not technical an OS at all) with no console access, no API at the moment (although they say they are working on one). Personally, I'm a tinkerer, but some things I just want to work simply & reliably without too much screwing around, and the Simarine accomplishes that well.

So long story short, I think a comparable Victron system would be much more expensive, I am skeptical the hardware would be the same quality, some features would be unavailable/prohibitively expensive, but in theory the software has some really cool possibilities. If I were putting a solar system in my home I'd consider the Victron route, but actually I'd probably go the Ubiquiti Sunmax route for DIY/conventional, or the Tesla Solar Roof route. That seems like a better use case for Victron, while the Pico is more of a one-trick pony for RV/Boats (and does it better).

Rob

atoine

Did you get it yet??? :)

Rob

YES! Got it! And I just completed the installation. What a pain to *cleanly* route a bunch of new wires into a finished van... :yell:

Anyway, I've got all of this working fine:
- Batteries monitoring: House & van
- Consumers (Webasto, Propex, Fan, Lights, Fridge, 12V loads total, inverter)
- Tanks: Fresh (25 gal), Grey (4 gallons aquatainer), Nature's Head composting toilet (liquid tank). We used KUS "float-type" sensors: https://amzn.to/2IKCyTZ
- Temperature: Battery, Exterior, Interior, Fridge
- Inclinometer (https://amzn.to/2Xd4ARj)

The Android app is just not working at all for me (Pixel XL and Pixel on Android 9), unless I setup the Pico to STA mode (router mode: connect to our Verizon Jetpack). I had to borrow a friend's iPhone to first update the Pico firmware...

Super happy with the system so far! I have some pictures coming later :)

Thanks for your help and your informations.
Antoine

WarPhil

I’ve just installed my Pico monitor. It’s working great, thanks Antoine for your write up! I’ve got two challenges, if anyone can help. I wired a resistive gauge to my propane tank, I’ve got it programmed into the Pico monitor and it reads and displays the level correctly. On the app on my iPhone it shows the tank, but it’s always empty according to the app? Anyone figured out that yet? Also, my phone connects via WiFi but I also use Apple CarPlay when driving. Since my phone recognizes the Pico WiFi, it tries to pull data through that instead of over cellular, so carplay doesn’t work very well. Anyone know how to fix that?

robzr

Hi Rob,

Cheers,
Jack
I just saw this, if you're still interested, yeah, it shows it just like in the video. I installed it on a level piece of wood framing over our battery box. It's pretty level but doesn't have to be perfect, as thats what the calibration in the Pico is for. It's been working great. Wish it wasn't $75+ but it is pretty cool. Yeah you can install it in various orientations or angles and then reverse / zero it to compensate.

I got a Raspberry Pi Zero with a CANbus hat that I'm going to wire up to sniff the protocol and see if I can work with it :) ESP-32 MCUs are dual-core 240 MHz, and have a built in CAN controller, you just need a transceiver, a MPU-6500 would do the same thing and a heck of a lot more for about $10 total. With a little bit of software of course...

Rob

robzr

I’ve just installed my Pico monitor. It’s working great, thanks Antoine for your write up! I’ve got two challenges, if anyone can help. I wired a resistive gauge to my propane tank, I’ve got it programmed into the Pico monitor and it reads and displays the level correctly. On the app on my iPhone it shows the tank, but it’s always empty according to the app? Anyone figured out that yet? Also, my phone connects via WiFi but I also use Apple CarPlay when driving. Since my phone recognizes the Pico WiFi, it tries to pull data through that instead of over cellular, so carplay doesn’t work very well. Anyone know how to fix that?
I also have wireless Carplay via an Alpine iLX-207... big fan of Apple, I wouldn't have it any other way! The way I've dealt with it, is I don't use the Pico as a AP, instead I run a Ubiquiti Aircube that is connected to a cell modem that is hooked into a cell extender, and alternates with a Ubiquiti Bullet M2-Ti on my roof that acts as a wifi client to leech free wifi. The Pico is then a STA (client) of the Ubiquiti, so it doesn't try to act as a braindead DHCP server. Got a low-gain omni, a high gain omni and a yagi to cover different situations - always prefer free wifi when I can find it. Once you are not using the Pico as a DHCP server, you can setup your wifi network with no gateway (when appropriate) so your iPhone won't try to route by default through it. One of my projects on the todo list is to get a little web frontend over the DHCP server to alter gateway easily (no gateway, cellular or wifi).

The Aircube is great, it runs off 12v (even 11v) just fine, and has a built in PoE switch so you can use it to turn on/off a downstream 12v device via software. I use it to power the M2-Ti on the roof, does power+data over a single cable. PoE makes for clean wiring, just put 12v right off ur house battery into two of the pairs in your ethernet cable and it works like a charm. Just waiting for Ubiquiti to open up the Aircube via SSH for a bit more control.

Rob

Last edited:

john61ct

Now that's useful stuff!

Start a new thread on "Traveling Internet Tech" and post some modular step by step HowTo's, would be a great service to the community.

I have a T-Mobile + ATT MVNO data provider that gives me never-throttled 300+ GB per month for not too much money, full-fledged wired router + WiFi hotspot in a 6" box also runs direct off DC.

So I never feel the need for using others' WiFi, but with a few kids coming along I can see needing that. . .

Airtime

The approach from Victron and Simarine is pretty different. Victron sells these panels more as a single hub/centralized remote display that coordinates the control of their various components. To monitor batteries, you still need to buy a dedicated battery monitor for each battery. This is fundamentally different from Simarine Pico's role as the central processor with remote sensors - a Simarine shunt is much cheaper than a Victron monitor + shunt. On the other hand, the Victron can integrate (display & control) their products (inverter, charger, bm...), the Pico monitors but does not control more generic sensors, voltage, amperage...
Rob
Replying to an older post in this thread. This is a great summary. I've just started digging into the Victron control panels and your description seems accurate. I'm prefer the Pico approach in general. But practically speaking, if I were to buy Victron components but use Pico for overall battery monitoring and control, what would I lose on the Victron integration side?

What about using Pico for the day to day manual UI, and then the Victron connect software on a laptop when needed for detailed system configuration of say a 3000VA Multiplus Inverter/Charger? I'd appreciate any additional commentary you could make on a Victron + Pico system.

robzr

Replying to an older post in this thread. This is a great summary. I've just started digging into the Victron control panels and your description seems accurate. I'm prefer the Pico approach in general. But practically speaking, if I were to buy Victron components but use Pico for overall battery monitoring and control, what would I lose on the Victron integration side?

What about using Pico for the day to day manual UI, and then the Victron connect software on a laptop when needed for detailed system configuration of say a 3000VA Multiplus Inverter/Charger? I'd appreciate any additional commentary you could make on a Victron + Pico system.
Oh man, an open ended request for my opinion, you have no idea what you are getting yourself into :professor: :smirk: Big caveat here is that I have spent time with the Pico, I have not spent time with (an installed) Victron setup.

So the approach and product lines from the two companies are *so* different, you're really comparing that more than you are the UIs & monitor devices. That said, the monitor device is what you interact with on a day to day basis, 99% of the time it's what you'll use and notice. Personally, and I get the feeling you may be like this, it drives me nuts if I don't have "the best" (within reason) for things I really care about, and I know myself well enough to know if I buy something and end up regretting it and wishing I had bought something else, I often will suck it up and upgrade it. So for me, it's cheapest just to get the right thing in the first place. Because I'm a geek and I love metrics and monitoring and UIs, my systems controller/SoC setup was (is) very important for my camper van. It's like the digital hub/interface to #vanlife :) (FWIW I geek out on Home Assistant & Z-Wave at home for home automation; this is a related passion). So when I looked into the "ultimate" monitoring system for the camper van, I came up with Victron and Simarine, I didn't see anything else really in that league, with a modern interface.

I bought the Color Control GX (Victron's top monitor at the time) and I *really* wanted to like it, because I have 25 years personal & professional experience with Linux and I'm an absolute Linux geek (but I use Macs for workstations and my home servers), and it is Linux based, and open source. The idea of being able to ssh into my monitoring device is very tempting. But the quality was just not there. Low res, TFT, sluggish, plastic, chunky buttons, poorly thought out UI. They have a new line now (GX) that probably addresses some of this, but it's still the same architecture and approach ultimately. After living with the Pico for over a year, I am very confident I made the right choice. Zero buyers remorse, the longer I've had it, the more that is cemented. And that's not confirmation bias, I have tons of examples where I spent countless hours researching, purchasing and then the opposite happened. Here's what I'd outline, in order of priority, of the differences as I see them. FWIW the Pico has an IPS screen with gorilla glass and capacitive touch in a milled and anodized solid aluminum housing. It's probably the closest to Apple quality/execution that I've seen from anyone other than Apple in electronics, period.

Architecture of the monitoring device & system -> very different approaches. Victron has their own Linux distribution, it seems to run on multi-core ARM CPUs, with gigabytes of RAM. It is a full OS running; the UI is a graphical app on top of it. Simarine instead uses an SoC and writes the code to run directly on it. There is no "OS", they are probably writing C++ to control every aspect of it. It is a far lighter-weight approach. And they have done it very well, I thought, the results were far better (responsiveness, UI design, boot time, etc) than on the Color Control GX. But here is a significant difference - to monitor something like a shunt to calculate SoC, the Pico uses CAN bus to send raw data to the controller, which does the calculations. Victron on the other hand, requires a dedicated SoC controller per shunt/device, which is going to calculate SoC, and then just use the display panel (also communicating via CAN bus I believe - which makes sense; it's a well suited protocol for this situation) to display the data. Advantage of this is that the controller can sleep (which is good as it is going to draw much more power than the Pico). Disadvantage is, it's expensive - you have to buy a BMV for every shunt/battery, and at some point, say 3 BMVs are going to draw more power than 1 Pico. I love Linux, but Simarine I think has a better system architecture for a low power application like camper vans.

Second, Simarine really just makes the controller, shunts, and "sensor inputs". For the sensor inputs, they take standard resistive and 4-20ma current loop sensor inputs. I've never worked with 4-20 loops, but it is a industrial standard for sensors (quite possibly as well in high end yachting, which seems to be Simarines prime market). See the above link for details why, it's kind of interesting. However, all my sensors are resistive/voltage. I run a $35 KUS stainless tank sensor and have a second sitting around that I need to put in one of my grey water tanks. I bought a 5 pack of waterproof NTC 10k resistive temperature sensors for $10 shipped - resistive output. My LPG tank has a resistive sending unit level sensor. If you buy a ST107 for $100, it can read 4 resistive inputs, 3 voltage inputs and a 2 position relay switch (I think usable with alarms; ie: set a threshold and it will trigger). I got a $75 voltage based 2-axis inclinometer. The $180 SCQ25T has that plus 4 current shunts (25a continuous; 50a peak each, and you can parallel them to combine). So I can measure my subpanel current draw, my charger output, my solar current with one of these. Wait till you price this stuff out in the Victron world... I have a couple "big" shunts (300a) for $100 that also have 2 voltage inputs. So you can run a bunch of batteries for SoC tracking, and/or a current draw for large and small loads, very inexpensively. In the Victron world, you need a BMV for each shunt, as it then just uses the display as a remote display. You want to add an arbitrary resistive measurement like a tank level sensor or temperature sensor? OK, $215 is the discount price to add ONE to your Victron setup. So the difference in architecture and Victron vendor lock-in has huge cost and flexibility implications.

The benefit of the Victron approach is that you will be able to buy a Victron charger or inverter, and adjust the settings on the control panel. Personally, there are no settings on our 1000w sine inverter that I care to adjust other than on/off, which can be accomplished with a simple toggle switch or a dedicated remote. We have a remote for our Samlex inverter, but I only use it for on/off. If I cared much about it, I'd put a shunt on it to monitor the current in or out on the Pico, but I really don't. The only thing we use it for is a coffee grinder. Once you have your charger dialed in, I suspect it would be the same - set it and forget it. Victron doesn't make anything like the Kisae, so if you go the Victron route, you wouldn't get that advantage on the most interesting and consequential charger in your system. I wanted to like Victron, they have sharp looking devices (blue is my favorite color); they have a good reputation, they have some cool devices, but I just don't think their approach and lineup is well suited for camper vans.

Simarine is not perfect. When I first got it, the iOS app crashed a bit. That's been fixed. They have been slowly, but steadily improving it, polishing it up, adding functionality. They say they are working on an API but it's not there yet (I can't wait till it is, if it ever arrives). They have added NMEA2000 support (which is a standard for sensors that uses CAN bus as a transport I believe) - this can be used to add things like GPS or other boating sensors. Could be interesting, and probably opens up some opportunities. I bought a Pi and a CAN bus transceiver hat to see if I can reverse engineer some of the Simarine stuff and make some Arduino things. I want to add a GPS / LoRa ESP32 that can tie into the Simarine CAN network so I can have a low cost tracking setup, and add GPS to the Pico (not sure why, it just seems like a cool project). They also have a line of switches, the app now supports the Pico and switches, and if we are really lucky, we may get a UI update that lets us do switches directly on the Pico. That would be a great step towards more of a "camper automation" type setup. I rolled the dice on this company knowing they could just disappear, but I don't think that is going to be the case. In fact it looks like they are making a play at the high end RV market, which is kinda exciting.

Rob

Last edited:

Top Bottom