step 1. picking a LWB

ATP

Hey guys, thanks for the add. Currently on the hunt for a LWB to convert to a camper.

I've located a 2000 312D Automatic and a 2004 313 CDI Manual. both have done relatively the same Km's and both been used as 12 seaters in the past. I haven't physically had a look at either of them just wanted your input on if one of those is mechanically regarded a better pick?

cheers

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
If you don't mind the non-facelift look and interior, then the 312 would be my pick, all else being equal. I'm assuming neither have all the options that exambos have, like airbags, ESP, ABS etc. because that would make the decision harder.

The 312D is not commonrail, so will use more fuel and is a bit less refined. Will rev a bit higher on the freeway with the old skool 4 speed auto, but you can fix that by putting on 16" rims.

So the good thing about the 312 is the om602 engine. Solid old skool Diesel 5cyl that can be serviced/repaired almost anywhere. It will be very reliable as there are very few proprietary electronics in that van compared to the 313.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The manual 313 is a really good combo. The early common rail is efficient, and quieter. It does have electronics, but no EGR or MAF, and is fairly easy to diagnose.

ATP

thanks guys. I had a look at the 313 and unfortunately looked poorly cared for. Hopefully I have more luck with the 312D.

So adding 16" rims will enhance the drive, any other tips for making it a nicer drive?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Correct tire pressure for your weight and tire size. Fresh shocks all around is often called for. Factory suspension seats are quite nice, but not common outside of ex-ambulances. You can fit some extra weather stripping around the upper/forward edge of the door to reduce wind noise. A bit of extra insulation under the floor can reduce noise as well.

Top Bottom