Things to know when purchasing your spinter van

JohnM

I'm due for a pickup of my 2019 sprinter cargo van in early July 2019 and wanted to know some things others have learnt from buying their sprinter vans. As i know that they will try and upsale things that i may or may not need. The need to knows are also needed as i'm sure doing my own oil change would be cheaper then one done at mercedes benz dealerships as i want to keep my warranty

D

Deleted member 50714

Welcome and Congratulations!!!

Suggest throughly reading the owner manual and think it's only on CD now.

There are some handover procedures the Mercedes dealer should do.

For example, resetting the ASSYST. Maintenance computer start date. ASSYST uses, among other perimeters, miles and time to calculate oil changes intervals and other preventive maintenance.

SI00.20-D-0017SG reviews the documentation for vehicle handover. SI=Service Information.

Associated documents can be found in WIS (Workshop Information Service).

Performing delivery & hand-over inspection
AP00.20-D-1100A

Confirm vehicle hand-over on instrument cluster display
AP00.20-D-0041-01TS

Deactivate transport mode (prior to delivery)
AP54.00-D-0001TS.

If you do your own oil changes, save your receipts and use Mercedes filters and proper oil to avoid warranty issues.

Prior to performing any maintenance, like oil changes, do a bit of research, there are a few things you should know that can spare you some grief.

Good luck in your journeys.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnM

Thank you for the information, Is there any other information i should ask about when i pick up the vehicle as i'm not sure if i should get a extended warranty as i've heard that they are not the same. As well anything else i've missed as this is my first sprinter and van and want to make sure i'm make careful decisions as this is for a business. I know i need to research but as all this is new to me i like opinions from "Real" owners as i'm sure people have tried almost everything along with the combinations of different products to keep the engine running well and the van looking good inside and out

D

Deleted member 50714

Avoid interrupting DPF regenerations.

Don't spill DEF in engine compartment.

Keep DEF topped-off, don't allow the DEF low-level warning to activate as this may trigger a "start countdown" that apparently can only be reset by dealer.

DPF fundamentals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMKpo74P6SE

JFloFoto

Avoid interrupting DPF regenerations.

Don't spill DEF in engine compartment.

Keep DEF topped-off, don't allow the DEF low-level warning to activate as this may trigger a "start countdown" that apparently can only be reset by dealer.

DPF fundamentals.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMKpo74P6SE
I can never tell when mine is regenerating. Early on I could smell it, but as the miles have passed it's no longer obvious, so I have no idea if I'm stopping mid-regen or not.. Any tips?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 50714

I can never tell when mine is regenerating. Early on I could smell it, but as the miles have passed it's no longer obvious, so I have no idea if I'm stopping mid-regen or not.. Any tips?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Same here, so took Roger's recommendation and bought a Scan Gauge II. It has a feature to monitor (EUP) Exhaust gas temp upstream of DPF and RGN ON or OFF. When temp raises over 1,100 degrees, you are actively regenerating. I don't know why RGN feature isn't working. It should say "Off."

Mercedes offers a DPF Monitoring Box. See photo. $590.00 plus installation.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
I'm due for a pickup of my 2019 sprinter cargo van in early July 2019 and wanted to know some things others have learnt from buying their sprinter vans. As i know that they will try and upsale things that i may or may not need. The need to knows are also needed as i'm sure doing my own oil change would be cheaper then one done at mercedes benz dealerships as i want to keep my warranty
The MB dealership from which I purchased my van had limited "upsell" pressure; they didn't even try to sell me rubber floor mats (which I wanted and ended up buying through their parts department). However, they did push on "paint protection" coatings in the Finance office (to which I said no).

In general, anything which you are told you must make a decision on right away (no time to do any research) is worth saying no to. Anything else (that you don't need to give them an immediate answer on) you can walk away take time to think/research, then come back and give them an answer.

But! If you paint yourself into a corner about needing to leave with the van (you expect to take it home, you get dropped off and don't have any other way to get home, etc.) you will be in a weaker position. Being able to walk away when you want is worth a lot (in any negotiation) and the simple act of picking your van up is no different. Don't drive away in the van until you are completely satisfied; if you find a problem or have a question that they can't answer, leave the van with them to resolve the problem/find the answer.

Before you "finalize" the transaction, make sure that the vehicle they are offering has all of the options that you believe you contracted to buy. The sales person should go over everything; have them show you each and every function/feature/option that you are expecting to see BEFORE you sign off.

After you get your hands on the van that the dealership is offering you as part of their end of the sales contract (don't think of it as yours yet, think of it as prospectively yours), make sure you go through every feature/function/option the van has to make sure it works as you expect it to work. New vehicles may have a malfunction on a rarely used feature/option (e.g. heated seats) and it is better to know and get fixed when the van is new than 6 months or a year down the road when you finally realize it is broken. If you find a problem after you leave the dealership and can go through the functions/features more extensively, take it back to them right away and leave it with them until it is fixed. Don't do any customizations, personalizations, or other modifications until you have gone all the way through it, let some time pass for infant mortality/early failures to occur, and finally decide to make it "yours."

I screwed up and still own a 2000 4Runner in which the rear locking differential doesn't lock (and never did) because I didn't find out that it didn't work properly until AFTER the warranty that covered it had expired [a testament to how well the 4WD system worked in general]. To the credit of the dealership, they attempted to fix it as a "goodwill" effort anyway, but after over a month of me driving their loaner and them replacing the ECU and some major braking system components [that were implicated as possible causes] they gave up and gave me MY car back. If I had found the problem right away and they couldn't fix it, I would have been able to get them to get me a new (fully functional) vehicle using my state's lemon laws.

Last edited:

JohnM

My delivery is a custom order that was placed back in Feb so I will have all the options i wanted here is a PDF of my ordered the van with all the safety features so i can make sure the van has a low insurance quote. Other then that i'm still thinking of questions that pop up or recall from when i was down there ordering my van

I recalled when i was down there ordering my van they ask me questions about prepaid scheduled maintenance of course i had no idea what that intelled so i told him i was unsure as i'm going to do a lot of the maintenance myself since i need to keep the recipes anyways for tax purposes for the business

Attachments

Last edited:

grinnelljd

Same here, so took Roger's recommendation and bought a Scan Gauge II. It has a feature to monitor (EUP) Exhaust gas temp upstream of DPF and RGN ON or OFF. When temp raises over 1,100 degrees, you are actively regenerating. I don't know why RGN feature isn't working. It should say "Off."
Double check that all your entered X-Code entries for RGN on the Scan Gauge are correct. One incorrect entry can result in that Xcode gauge not reading.

I had the same thing happen for one of my entered X-Codes. Fixed the entry error and it worked fine.

D

Deleted member 50714

Thank you, I am confident it's due to operator input error.

John E

I was told that one of the best things you can do is to change the oil to break-in oil for the first 1000 miles, and then change to whatever oil you are going to run. I am running Amsoil 20W50, based on some recommendations from others. As others have said, make sure you use approved oil and MB filter. The break-in oil allows the rings to seat properly. Many of the emission problems come from oil blow by when the rings aren't seated properly. (Or aren't seated as well as they could/ should have been)

Ahhh.... wait a minute: you're suggesting I watch the video attached to your response for a quick education on this? Novel idea! (doh!) Thank you....

JohnM

Can anyone give me some recommendations on a good commercial auto insurance company
i know geico and progressive i need a thrid or more as i've learned to always get more than one quote on ANYTHING i buy

Top Bottom