4x4 transfer case problem

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I have a 2015 Sprinter 2500 4x4 and recently I had a major clunk sound and then basically it would not stop and felt like there was a broken gear in the transmission and I think my transfer case has something broken, unfortunately out of warranty I am trying to gather the most information to
1/ find parts cheaper than dealer pricing
2/ Have some info from whoever experienced that same kind of issue and learn from them what was sone to correct the problem.
3/ I bought the unit used and I never have been able to switch easily to 4x4 and it sounds like not a isolated case, what did people do to improve?

Thanks in advance

EricoPedro
I can't help you with your busted transfer case, but the getting it into (And out of) 4WD...…..
You have to be moving at less than 10mph, about 5mph seems to work best for me.

You have to have your foot resting lightly on the brake. These two things do not go together, but when you do it a few times you develop some coordination.

Also, it seems to me that the unit "Wears in" some, and it shifts more easily after you multiple uses.

2016 3500 4x4 here. Had a "whine" in 2wd since I bought it at 10k miles. Finally went to test drive a 3500 4x4 to compare...no whine. Took mine to MBZ, they heard and acknowledged the whine. Their diagnosis after running it on rollers: bad transfer case. They said the whine turned into a howl when it was run in 4x4. I must not have noticed since the few times I've engaged 4x4 is going slow on dirt roads. Fingers crossed the new T case solves the issue.

DirtDogg

My 2016 Sprinter 3500 170EXT 4X4 had the driveline clunk & whine from new (May 2017) This summer MB authorized my local MB dealer here in Texas one by one replacement of the transfer case & all the drive shaft assemblies. Interesting they monitored each change with audio recordings that were emailed to Stuttgart. After a month & half of analysis MB instructed the dealer to not use LocTite & had them pick up a can of Motocraft PTFE Lubricant from the local Ford Dealer (its the same stuff that Ford used to solve their driveline clunk in at least the 2011 F150. The Ford dealer of course needed a week to get it from Ford so I got via my Amazon Prime in 2 days for less than $30.00 The MB dealer applied the PTFE & it has solved the problem flawlessly for over 2000 miles thus far.
Thanks for sharing. Where did they apply the lub? on the driveline spline?

Flagster

Our '15 also performs without issue in 2wd and 4wd. Shifting into 4wd is seamless between around 5mph without "clunks" or hesitation. Low range engages just fine. We don't use the 4wd much but I like to activate it every few months so it gets used. I just changed the transfer case fluid today for the second time at 56K miles...a bit dirty and some small metal shavings on the drain plug.

KiteSprinter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGAwXKVI5gk&feature=youtu.be

This is the whine noise mine makes. Mercedes calling it "normal" but two of my friends have 4x4 sprinters and theirs do not make this noise. They have tried replacing the front diff, rear leaf springs, and still no change. From what I've read, most repair bulletins point to prop shaft angle but Mercedes doesn't seem to want to go down this path with me. I'm not sure why since I assume the front diff was not a cheap fix for them.

If anyone is able to get this fixed, I would love to know.

Per the repair bulletin:

COMPLAINT
Howling, humming, droning, vibrations from the drivetrain in a specific vehicle speed range

CAUSE
Drivetrain complaints can be traced to a number of different causes. Imbalance of the wheels, imbalance of the propeller shaft flange, a stressed drivetrain and unfavorable positioning of the propeller shaft relative to the rear axle differential.

REMEDY
We recommend performing a test drive first to establish the nature of the complaint.
For accurate analysis and localization of the noise, use the "Steelman Chassis Ear" noise diagnosis kit (Optional Equipment - Please contact our Approved Equipment provider BASS, formerly known as SPX, at 1-888-458-4040)
Vibrations, humming and droning, howling may all be caused by imbalance of the wheels, tire flat spots or radial and lateral runout of the wheels.
The following procedure is recommended:
1. Fit new, balanced genuine Mercedes-Benz wheels (test wheels) on the vehicle. Then perform a test drive. 2. Check the bolted connections of the propeller shaft:
Are all the bolts present?
Are all the bolts the same length? https://www.eautorepair.net/app/Pri...F-06B5-40C7-8D0C-0CEAD7255AF9}&YR=2012&MK=159... 1/2
6/18/2019 MITCHELL 1 ARTICLE - HOWLING, HUMMING, DRONING, VIBRATIONS FROM DRIVETRAIN TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Do all bolted connections have washers?
Check the tightening torques (see WIS)
3. Change the positioning of the rear axle differential flange relative to the propeller shaft:
Three-arm flange: Twist through 120 degrees
Four-arm flange: Twist through 90 degrees
4. Relieve stress in the engine mounts, transmission mounts, exhaust system, flexible coupling, propeller shaft intermediate bearing/center bearing (LI22.10-P-056910).
Check flexible coupling for cracks and replace if necessary
Relieve stress in propeller shaft intermediate bearing/center bearing (if the intermediate bearing/center bearing has th be replaced, the aluminum version must be used).
When relieving the stress in the intermediate bearing/center bearing of the propeller shaft, make sure that the vehicle is standing with all four wheels on the ground.
With the bolts of the intermediate bearing/center bearing slackened, push the vehicle forward and back or wiggle the propeller shaft.
Then retighten the bolts to the specified tightening torque (AR41.10-P-0100CW).
5. Measure inclination angle or propeller shaft and correct if necessary.

KiteSprinter

One more piece that points to a "finnicky" drive shaft from another Mercedes repair bulletin:

Removal and Installation of the Drive Shaft
Do not attempt to remove or install the drive shaft without a second person assisting. The drive shaft must be as straight as possible when removed, installed, transported, or stored; otherwise, vibration and/or humming noises can arise in the passenger compartment.
Always ensure the propeller shaft center support bearing is tension-free when installing the drive shaft. See WIS document: AR41.10-D-0050H for removal and installation instructions.

rube

Mine sounds like the video you posted exactly. Interested in where your troubleshooting leads. I also have the clunk, and 2200rpm resonance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KiteSprinter

You've got the trifecta! At least the clunk has a well documented fix. They replaced the leaf springs and no better than before. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Pan

Hi I am new to the forum. I have a 2019 4x4 MWB Sprinter with the same noises including the clunk. I also have a vibration through the steering wheel that makes your hands go numb after a while. My dealer had the car for three weeks and changed a bearing that had to come from Germany. This did not fix the problem. KiteSprinter did you get your Sprinter fixed and if so what did they do. Below is a link.

Thanks

KiteSprinter

Hi I am new to the forum. I have a 2019 4x4 MWB Sprinter with the same noises including the clunk. I also have a vibration through the steering wheel that makes your hands go numb after a while. My dealer had the car for three weeks and changed a bearing that had to come from Germany. This did not fix the problem. KiteSprinter did you get your Sprinter fixed and if so what did they do. Below is a link.

Thanks
That sounds exactly like mine. They claim it's normal. I've ridden in other 4x4s that are not as noisy. It's frustrating driving it at 35 mph as it really resonates and is noisiest at that speed. They refuse to do any work for it so my suggestion is take it in a few times. At least that way there is a well documented paper trail in case something happens outside of your warranty period.

That sounds exactly like mine. They claim it's normal. I've ridden in other 4x4s that are not as noisy. It's frustrating driving it at 35 mph as it really resonates and is noisiest at that speed. They refuse to do any work for it so my suggestion is take it in a few times. At least that way there is a well documented paper trail in case something happens outside of your warranty period.
The issue is no matter how good your paper trail outside of the warranty Mercedes isn't going to fix anything for free 99% of time. This is where the dealer comes in so when you get your van serviced bring the service manager donuts and coffee, chat for a bit because when it comes time you need something outside the warranty they will go the extra the mile. I found that Mercedes refuses to acknowledge their vans have issues because it's a Mercedes so must be perfect.

Sorry to hear and I feel your frustration. It's not a great design and the droning happens with mine even the fix but I just got used to it. In my opinion these vans are not that great. I have a bunch of friends that are contractors and they have the worker vans and they all say the same thing "they are garbage and have very little power" they also don't like the throttle response and I told them about the pedalbox to help. So far about 3/4 of them sold theirs and bought a different van. My pump just went and I was just outside of the warranty and you don't even want to know how much that cost me. Keep us updated on if you bring it back to get serviced.

Pan

OK so after getting frustrated at the noises I decided to look into it myself.
I have attached what I found in the pdf but basically the uni joints are out of phase, the pinion angle to rear driveshaft to first drive shaft is incorrect as is the first shaft to transfer output shaft. This sets up a resonance and vibration. I also did a vibration analysis as well. The car is in with the dealer to be fixed. I have to say that the dealer has been great and is trying to get Mercedes Australia involved but they are finding it difficult. I will be checking all angles etc when it comes back. The car is only a month old so I am loath to fix it myself and have Mercedes void my warranty but I feel it is an easy fix.

Enjoy the read

Attachments

KiteSprinter

OK so after getting frustrated at the noises I decided to look into it myself.
I have attached what I found in the pdf but basically the uni joints are out of phase, the pinion angle to rear driveshaft to first drive shaft is incorrect as is the first shaft to transfer output shaft. This sets up a resonance and vibration. I also did a vibration analysis as well. The car is in with the dealer to be fixed. I have to say that the dealer has been great and is trying to get Mercedes Australia involved but they are finding it difficult. I will be checking all angles etc when it comes back. The car is only a month old so I am loath to fix it myself and have Mercedes void my warranty but I feel it is an easy fix.

Enjoy the read
That's quite the write up. Did you have a third party look at the van or was that your summary to the dealership? That matches the homework I had done originally and pointed to the angle of the prop shaft.

Mine was frustrating enough that I took it to a lemon law attorney, however, I had already done some significant work converting the van which made that about out of the question. I am really hoping you get yours resolved. If so, there would be a documented fix which would give me more justification for the dealership to work on mine.

Pan

That's quite the write up. Did you have a third party look at the van or was that your summary to the dealership? That matches the homework I had done originally and pointed to the angle of the prop shaft.

Mine was frustrating enough that I took it to a lemon law attorney, however, I had already done some significant work converting the van which made that about out of the question. I am really hoping you get yours resolved. If so, there would be a documented fix which would give me more justification for the dealership to work on mine.
Hey Kite Surfer.
I have now adjusted all the angles for the diff / driveshaft. I have had the driveshaft balanced as well. The noise is still there but not as bad. I also found the Harmonic noise around 11km and up is from the rear leafspring vibrating. I used some straps to tighten them and the noise is reduced. I do feel that there is another proble. but Just getting the angles / Uni joints / driveshaft balanced has helped but not fixed it completley. Oh also the noise and vibration I had at 77 to 80km were the tyres. I changed them and that vibration went.

So SO frustrating that Mercedes will not help at all. The dealer tries but Mercedes will only let them go to the book

Top Bottom